Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Aug 16, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
HEARTSTOPPER22
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Car hire disaster with Thomas cook

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice...

Booked a signature package holiday with TC in January for April next year. Flights, villa and car for 6 adults and 2 children.
At the time of booking we explained that we only had one driver, and we were told that the car couldn't be properly booked as it was more than one year from departure and that all the different sized cars had not been released. So a few weeks ago I enquired to what the state of playwas with the car ... to be told the could only offer me two small cars...not a car big enough for the 8? So it's ok to give me two cars but not one that fits us all as we only have one driver? This was all stated at the time of booking, we actually on have one car on the booking itself... so why change the goalposts on us? We have an 83 year old travelling with us with a mobility scooter also. It's turning into a real mess. I've wrote a letter of complaint and waiting to hear back.
Anyone been through this before?
Clear Creek 2015
Orange Tree 2017
HEARTSTOPPER22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I havent been through this but would cancel the car and get a car with someone else, we have a people carrier. If no joy with Customer Service I would get in touch with head office and get it resolved. Two cars with one driver is a joke and isnt going to work so you need it sorted, I wouldnt be fobbed off get on the phone and explain the situation and then book with someone else!
Old 15 Aug 16, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

I would also cancel the car hire and get it independently.

Was it "free" with the booking?

Port Orleans Riverside ~ Oct 2012
Hard Rock Hotel (no Disney!) ~ Aug 2016
New York, Sheraton NY Times Square ~ Feb 2017
Santorini, Dana Villas ~ Aug 2017
Yacht Club ~ Sept 2018
Caribbean Cruise, P&O ~ Mar 2019
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2022 & May 2023
Drury Plaza (first adults only trip!) ~ Aug 2024

Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
HEARTSTOPPER22
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

The trouble is...the car is part of the booking, free they call it! So if I book with another company I'm shelling out for a completely new booking..around £900
Clear Creek 2015
Orange Tree 2017
HEARTSTOPPER22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
HEARTSTOPPER22
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sweets View Post
I would also cancel the car hire and get it independently.

Was it "free" with the booking?
Yes, but on the booking there is only one car for the eight of us...how can the change it to two only now?
Clear Creek 2015
Orange Tree 2017
Old 15 Aug 16, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Incarniac
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Not been through this either as we usually go DIY, but I'd imagine your paperwork has the amount of cars (as you say, 1) and type/class of car specified in clear writing. If they can't provide what you have paid for they are surely in breach of contract and should offer you some practical alternatives (ie. you clearly have just one driver so cannot do with two cars) or a refund of the car part of the package deal.

Bear in mind that a van that can hold 8 people probably won't have enough room for the luggage of said 8 people -- not sure if that's something you'd take into account already
Incarniac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

FREE car hire with any high street travel agent - is - in my opinion - totally mis- selling at its purest wickedest form.

Did they also mention you have to purchase full insurance - insurance that GENERALLY is more expensive than just going and hiring a car yourself!

My advice has always been to ignore the TAs free car and go and get a car with all insurances included yourself.

Loads of people on here recommend Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire - hes a broker and has loads of advice on all things car in Fla. I used him for a week in july and he was cheaper then going direct - im sure he will help you.

Sheriff Tom is v knowledgeable about car hire in Fla - I think he's there at the mo - but sure he'll be along with lots of good advice soon.

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077

Edited at 12:28 PM.
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

It won't cost you £900 for a car.
I however would be a bit concerned about getting 8 people, a mobility scooter and luggage in any size car!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I may be wrong but I suspect your booking includes a free car that is not insured and isn't of a size suitable for your party size. If that is the case the cost to upgrade to a suitable vehicle and insure it will be very expensive
Far cheaper to ditch it and go DIY.
These free vehicle offers are a total scam as they are anything but free!
Hope you get a resolution

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Check the small print - you would probably have been £800+ for the insurance for a 10/12 seater.

Deffo complain tho - we should all highlight this FREE thing that costs £300-£1000

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread