Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Aug 16, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

To put another perspective on the free car thing is that the car IS free... just that they don't mention you have to pay for insurance separately until you go though the booking process. So legally what they say is correct, whether you think it's a fair is another matter.

As to the OP, I would just ditch the inclusive car and book separately with some one else. TA do change the size of the inclusive car as the party size changes so you wouldn't get a compact for a party of say 6 and pay extra to get a car that would fit 6 but would have to pay if you wanted anything bigger or better.

Edited at 01:02 PM.
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
To put another perspective on the free car thing is that the car IS free... just that they don't mention you have to pay for insurance separately until you go though the booking process. So legally what they say is correct, whether you think it's a fair is another matter.
That's like kinda saying

Free Flights but the meal on the plane that you must take costs £900...

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Incarniac
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by bighal View Post
So legally what they say is correct, whether you think it's a fair is another matter.
I'm sure they have everything in the clear legally, but in my opinion it is taking advantage of unsuspecting customers who may not know all the ins and outs of renting a car (particularly in the US).

You can also argue they should do their background checks - and they should - but you book through a reputable travel agent (at least in part) to avoid the DIY route and have them give you everything that's needed, so this trick is wrong on many levels.

I've seen at least one post on here where the customer was contacted fairly late (ie quite close to departure) by the travel agents to let them know they may be 'under-insured', so they clearly know what they're doing.

Just my opinion of course.
Incarniac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Incarniac View Post
I'm sure they have everything in the clear legally, but in my opinion it is taking advantage of unsuspecting customers who may not know all the ins and outs of renting a car (particularly in the US).

You can also argue they should do their background checks - and they should - but you book through a reputable travel agent (at least in part) to avoid the DIY route and have them give you everything that's needed, so this trick is wrong on many levels.

I've seen at least one post on here where the customer was contacted fairly late (ie quite close to departure) by the travel agents to let them know they may be 'under-insured', so they clearly know what they're doing.

Just my opinion of course.
You are so right. B.A is the only one I know who come out of this squeaky clean. No scams with them. Even Virgin Holidays are at it!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

We had this on our very first trip 16 years ago ! Saw what seamed a great deal in the travel agents window for a family of four with two free child places upto age 18 which suited us perfect with an 11 and 16 year old and also included free car hire! Went in and a £2600 holiday ended up at £4000 by the time they added the car insurance and under occupancy charges ! Stupidly went ahead with it but when we returned the following year I decided to try and book it all myself and was shocked to learn that we had been charged considerably more for the insurance than we would have paid for a much better car with insurance! It is definatly a learning curve that's why when people tell me they are booking a package I try to make them aware of the extra charges they will get! As already said BA are great for their inclusive car hire can't fault them at all!

Edited at 02:19 PM.
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

I wouldn't call it a scam just a sharp practice. Everyone who drives knows you need insurance so it shouldn't come as a surprise that it's needed and have to be paid for.

It's not the same as the flight example as the price for the meal would have to be included in the headline price to start with, like all compulsory taxes and charges are but anyway the airline couldn't get away with charging that much for a meal , if it was £30 then maybe they would.

By the way I'm not defending the practice as I think they should be made to say in big bold lettering that you have to pay for insurance.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post

If they can't provide a car necessary ask them to refund the cost of getting it elsewhere.
TC refunded me when they couldn't book Discovery cove plus the difference it ended up costing me to book it myself.

Money saving expert - cheap car hire has lots of advice.
Also on there it suggests getting car hire excess insurance which for 2 weeks in Florida is £41 from Leisure Guard.

Alamo @MCO wanted $19 per day to upgrade from a Full Size to an SUV because my cases for 4 adult sized people were large, but they just fit in a Toyota Camry.

So if I took the free car hire from Thomas Cook without insurance (I did though for £257.55), insured it myself for £41 and paid $19 for 14 days ($266 / £206) an SUV for 2 weeks would cost me £247 in total.

P.s. please read the next message before using car hire excess insurance, as this will not be adequate cover. Thanks PPM.

Edited at 05:24 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mrunderhill View Post
If they can't provide a car necessary ask them to refund the cost of getting it elsewhere.
TC refunded me when they couldn't book Discovery cove plus the difference it ended up costing me to book it myself.

Money saving expert - cheap car hire has lots of advice.
Also on there it suggests getting car hire excess insurance which for 2 weeks in Florida is £41 from Leisure Guard.

Alamo @MCO wanted $19 per day to upgrade from a Full Size to an SUV because my cases for 4 adult sized people were large, but they just fit in a Toyota Camry.

So if I took the free car hire from Thomas Cook without insurance (I did though for £257.55), insured it myself for £41 and paid $19 for 14 days ($266 / £206) an SUV for 2 weeks would cost me £247 in total.
Your £41 excess insurance does not cover you with the necessary insurance for Driving in the USA. Typically it pays the excess on claims, which in the state of Florida is zero anyhow, and also loss of keys, damage to underside and glass, that's about it. It is nowhere near the level of insurance I would be comfortable with.
Of course it is your choice and if you are happy with the level of cover then that's OK, it's just not for me...no way.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

I'd definitely speak to customer services. I complained about a flight recently, and they were more than happy to refund £50 per person for a very minor issue (of which there were 2!). Was very satisfied with their response.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
HEARTSTOPPER22
Proud to wear my Ears

I think I'm maybe being a little understood by some here... I was totally aware I would have to pay insurance over and above my holiday cost as this was made aware to me. What I wasn't made away of was that my free car would not be big enough to house is all in. The fact that they can offer me two free cars instead of one free car that fits is all when we only have one driver is baffling.

Edited at 06:08 PM.
HEARTSTOPPER22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread