Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Aug 16, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by HEARTSTOPPER22 View Post
I think I'm maybe being a little understood by some here... I was totally aware I would have to pay insurance over and above my holiday coast as this was made aware to me. What I wasn't made away of was that my free car would not be big enough to house is all in. The fact that they can offer me two free cars instead of one free car that fits is all when we only have one driver is baffling.
What have you been quoted for that insurance?

The advice being offered is that you can hire a car Indepentky including Insurance for less than the insurance on your free car.
I usually start with USrentacar.

However to answer your question, the car hire will be with a 3rd party, often Alamo, and they do minivans so there is no reason you should be fobbed off with 2 cars unless it's cheaper for the travel agent.

I'd also be wary of an 8 seater being large enough if you are taking a mobility scooter.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
HEARTSTOPPER22
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
What have you been quoted for that insurance?

The advice being offered is that you can hire a car Indepentky including Insurance for less than the insurance on your free car.
I usually start with USrentacar.

However to answer your question, the car hire will be with a 3rd party, often Alamo, and they do minivans so there is no reason you should be fobbed off with 2 cars unless it's cheaper for the travel agent.

I'd also be wary of an 8 seater being large enough if you are taking a mobility scooter.
To be honest I haven't been quoted anything yet really. Just told that I can have only two cars instead of one.

I have drove an 8 seater Toyota Sienna and it was more than adequate for our needs
Clear Creek 2015
Orange Tree 2017
HEARTSTOPPER22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

To be honest I haven't been quoted anything yet really. Just told that I can have only two cars instead of one.

I have drove an 8 seater Toyota Sienna and it was more than adequate for our needs
What are your dates?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
HEARTSTOPPER22
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

What are your dates?
30th April- 14th may 2017
Clear Creek 2015
Orange Tree 2017
HEARTSTOPPER22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I can't find what Thomas Cook charge for their car hire insurance, it seems to be a state secret. For the same time period, Virgin are charging £453-£550 (depending on which level you choose).
It doesn't look like you will be able to get an 8 seater for £550 elsewhere, so I'd be back onto Thomas Cook and demanding you get an 8 seater as that's what you require.
Old 15 Aug 16, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

if ta's keep treating their customers this badly - just look at forum spy for other complaints even just today - there will be a lot fewer on the high street

I will personally never book with them again - they just get in the way of planning and seem to bring along dark clouds at every turn

this being another example.

And its not just one - or a one off incident - I am more surprise reading a positive review of a ta these days - negative ones are just the norm now!

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Actually, I'm just looking at the Alamo website, and a 7 seater is £416, a compact is £289, and an 8 seater is over £1000. That's the car hire and all relevant insurances.

I wonder if that's the reason they aren't keen to offer it to you.
Old 15 Aug 16, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
A 12 seater minivan is actually cheaper, you can get one for £723 from USRent a car with Thrifty.
Old 16 Aug 16, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
beaflorida
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice...

Booked a signature package holiday with TC in January for April next year. Flights, villa and car for 6 adults and 2 children.
At the time of booking we explained that we only had one driver, and we were told that the car couldn't be properly booked as it was more than one year from departure and that all the different sized cars had not been released. So a few weeks ago I enquired to what the state of playwas with the car ... to be told the could only offer me two small cars...not a car big enough for the 8? So it's ok to give me two cars but not one that fits us all as we only have one driver? This was all stated at the time of booking, we actually on have one car on the booking itself... so why change the goalposts on us? We have an 83 year old travelling with us with a mobility scooter also. It's turning into a real mess. I've wrote a letter of complaint and waiting to hear back.
Anyone been through this before?

We had a similar problem with Thomas Cook. I inquired how much it would be to top up the insurance and they advised me £570 and then I asked them to check what car i had, they told me I had a four seater (didn't know they had four seater cars). I advised them that the booking had 5 people on it and they offered to change the car- imagine if we had paid and got there only to find the car was too small. That said i cancelled their car hire and am taking out my own- found a 7 seater with additional drive gold cover for £570.
beaflorida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 16, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

A 12 seater minivan is actually cheaper, you can get one for £723 from USRent a car with Thrifty.
12 Seater is defo the best option for OP, no way their party plus luggage will fit in an 8 seater.

Originally Posted by papamouse View Post
if ta's keep treating their customers this badly - just look at forum spy for other complaints even just today - there will be a lot fewer on the high street

I will personally never book with them again - they just get in the way of planning and seem to bring along dark clouds at every turn

this being another example.

And its not just one - or a one off incident - I am more surprise reading a positive review of a ta these days - negative ones are just the norm now!
I feel the same PM, the first piece of advice I got on here was to ditch my car with VH which I promptly did.

I have reluctantly booked a Universal onsite package with Thomson next year as I couldn't get near their price DIY. It nearly killed me walking into that TA and giving them money! When it came to the car I said 'no thanks' to be told 'are you sure? It's free'. I told her that I could get an SUV including all insurance for circa £350. That shut her up.

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018

Edited at 07:00 AM.
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread