Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Aug 16, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Wanda335
New Poster (4)

Credit card worry... Help!

Hi I'm new to all this but in need of some help please ... We are due to go on our first ever trip to Orlando in 6 weeks and have just been told that we need a credit card when we collect our hire car ... Big problem ... We are currently in the final year of our IVA and don't have a credit card and cannot apply for one.
I'm so worried now about what we can do. When we originally booked our trip we was told by our travel agent that we wouldn't need one but now I find out that we probably will need one... Any advice would be gratefully received ... Thanks
Wanda335 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 16, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Fret not Wanda, apparently you can use your debit card, but I know very little about this, others will soon be along to advise.

Have a smashing holiday when you head off
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 16, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post

An English debit card is just fine, it works the same as a credit card here.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 16, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. As above, your Debit Card is fine. Loads of people from the UK use them.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 16, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Wanda335
New Poster (4)

Thanks ... Does anyone know how much they would need to hold? Also as we have bad credit will this affect it as I read that they do a credit check on you... Panicking a little lol
Wanda335 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 16, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wanda335 View Post
Thanks ... Does anyone know how much they would need to hold? Also as we have bad credit will this affect it as I read that they do a credit check on you... Panicking a little lol
They can't do a credit check on you Wanda, our Data Protection Laws wouldn't allow. Stop the panicking please, it's unproductive, you'll be fine. Hang on a bit, somebody will tell you how much the 'hold' will be. Take care hin
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 16, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Who have you booked with? This is from Alamo USA's website

All major Credit and Debit cards (excluding Solo, Visa Electron, Diners Club and all unembossed maestro/debit/creditcards) are accepted.

On collection of the vehicle, a £300.00 security deposit will be charged to your card. On acceptable return of the vehicle, the security deposit will be credited.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 16, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Wanda335
New Poster (4)

Thank you all so much you have put my mind at rest now
Old 17 Aug 16, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
An English debit card is just fine, it works the same as a credit card here.
What about a Scottish one? 😀
Mine is Bank of Scotland.

Wanda335.
You will be OK. A debit card with Visa or MasterCard on it will do nicely, as our UK debit cards with these logos are seen in the USA as CCs. In fact when I use my DC in an ATM I have to press the Credit button to make it work.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 16, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

I went recently and booked with Budget (via Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire)

I has $4000 on a fairfx pre pay credit card - the computer said no - and wasn't accepted...

I had about £100-200 on my bank account back home - just a basic account with a debit card - Visa Electron - this was accepted.

It had nothing to do with credit checks etc - basically they gave me a car with a full tank of gas - the plan was for me to return it full, which I did.

But in the mean time they put a "hold" of about $70/£50 on my card, in case I came back with the car empty... this charge was always pending and after I returned the car full, this charge just dropped off.

Its not about credit checks, credit cards etc - some places put a greater hold on - I think the most is about £400 - I once left 100 euros cash at a car hire place in Ibiza - its really not a big deal.

For peace of mind tho - check in with the company you are hiring the car from as ask specifically what type of card they will accept - and how much of a HOLD they will put on that card.

Anyone can get a prepaid credit card like fairfx and anyone can get a basic bank account with a debit card - I personally have 3 - BOS, Natwest and Coop Bank - its not based on your credit status as most of us are in the same boat now!

Relax, its a holiday!

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077

Edited at 11:42 PM.
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread