Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Aug 16, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Essex Benjy's!
Imagineer

Ok.
My point was and is they always seem to try and add stuff on.
Here in the UK my car insurance ( full comp ) covers glass and for £15 I cover my Keys for a whole year?
Obviously none of us want to be caught with a bill for anything while we are there but my point is this should all be covered anyway.
In the 30 plus years I have been ting to the USA and hiring cars they keep changing the wording.
I wasn't asked for this extra insurance before but they tried it in in other ways.
I have had punctures and breakdowns over the years but never been asked to contribute towards them?
Fair enough if I lose my keys then I should pay but this should all be covered not an extra.
If you get it here in the UK they argue with you and want to put $1000 or whatever hold on your card. It's all to pressure you into buying their policies and spending MORE than the original quote and wasting your valuable holiday time waiting in line.

Now I have had a great quote of £330 for an economy car 21 days from 3/9 inclusive of every insurance but I can opt for the extra insurance we are talking about for another £1 per day.
I have quotes for the same car ranging up to £100 more and all want extra for the insurance we are talking about.
I remember last time we went having to argue with Dollar who insisted I brought the car back empty and then insisting it wasn't an option.
They eventually gave in and now they are all stating those terms.
If we all keep moaning and resisting this extra it will disappear along with those in the past.

Their car hire prices should be clear so we can just get off of the plane and into the car. Exactly the same as I have been doing in Spain at the airport for over 30 years
Essex Benjy's! is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

This is something we always decline as we usually just think it's just another ploy to get more money out of you and I hate when they try to scare you into adding extra! However I have had a look at my car hire contract with hertz , to add it with them it is $6.95 per day so I have had a look at the company the op recommended and they are $2.50 per day but what I am concerned about is that you can only make two claims in the period covered and the two claims together cannot exceed $500 , any cost over this needs to be paid by the renter and it also states that you may have to pay the cost and wait for them to reimburse you later , I'm concerned because it does not seem much and my main reason for considering it would be more to do with windshield cover and don't know if this would be enough and I would also have thought that it would be to save you being out of pocket whilst on holiday ! So I'm back to square one and can't decide whether to bother or not ! I'm just getting ready to renew my car insurance for here think I might ask and see if any of them offer this xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Average windscreen cost is $350 see early post from me RE typical costs.
I could list all windscreen costs and other companies who offer this and related product however it is the principal being discussed here in the cost v cover.
Old 21 Aug 16, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Average windscreen cost is $350 see early post from me RE typical costs.
I could list all windscreen costs and other companies who offer this and related product however it is the principal being discussed here in the cost v cover.
Well I've never had any of these costs out there so that's why I posted the level of cover hoping someone could advise if it would be enough! I would have thought that when considering the"principal" then you would need to take into account what the cover would give you! Maybe in future posts you should just tell people you don't want their tuppenceworth and only your point is valid! Rude!
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Personally I don't take it and just take the chance. I may change my mind if I ever lose my keys, crack the windscreen or whatever but I'll worry about it if it happens.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

With greatest of respect if you read posts I post is risk v reward and everyone is entitled to insure how they wish which clearly isn't rude.
The debate is £30 cost to save $250 $350 on keys glass.
I do others don't personal choice and this is always my mantra.
However if people say a waste of money I just ask do they cover glass keys in UK if so their position is untenable to say a waste of money just that they are willing to take risk which is fine.

Edited at 01:07 PM.
duncanb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Yes I get your point! That is why although we haven't taken it out before I decided to have a look at the cover and consider it, but as I have said I did not know how much windscreen , keys etc cost to replace , I was surprised to see that the cover you had recommended only allows two claims totalling $500 and thought it was worth mentioning as I'm sure others on here who would be considering taking out the cover after reading this thread might also be interested , I am not arguing with you or saying that your point is not valid ! Merely adding my observations! Personally I just thought that this cover was for piece of mind on holiday but at those amounts I wasn't sure it would give you that !
Old 21 Aug 16, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I don't take this cover as the cost/benefit comes down to not taking it out for me. My problem with this insurance is that they are charging you for things that they are responsible for. If the only covered keys/windscreens and charged accordingly I would probably take it. However the largest charge in this is for roadside assistance which is something they are responsible for not the customer.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mexico07 View Post
Yes I get your point! That is why although we haven't taken it out before I decided to have a look at the cover and consider it, but as I have said I did not know how much windscreen , keys etc cost to replace , I was surprised to see that the cover you had recommended only allows two claims totalling $500 and thought it was worth mentioning as I'm sure others on here who would be considering taking out the cover after reading this thread might also be interested , I am not arguing with you or saying that your point is not valid ! Merely adding my observations! Personally I just thought that this cover was for piece of mind on holiday but at those amounts I wasn't sure it would give you that !
I saw a post on another forum from the chap who owns Enhanced Roadside Assistance. He was answering a question from someone planning to be out in the States for 6 weeks and questioning the limit. His advice was to split the cover into week or two week chunks, with each chunk having the $500 limit.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
WB72
Imagineer

It is personal choice, I can see the reasons why people want it. I do not take it, my rationale being that it would be around $50 for 3 weeks and if I have the windscreen break it would cost me $350, so I would have to have a broken windscreen every 7 visits just to break even. Without wanting to wish it on us, it has never happened yet in more than 7 visits...
Once again without wanting to tempt fate I have never in my life lost my keys so it is cover we will do without. If they charged maybe $5-10 for the three week period, then the risk v reward would make me think otherwise.
WB72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread