Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Aug 16, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Mick takes care of the driving with his smashing quick car tips, so I'm going to do my usual spiel.

This us the land of the car. Distances are so much greater than you would think. Only people that can't afford a car ride the bus, so buses only run in the area they're needed and that not where the villas are. You are going to an area the size of Greater Manchester but with inferior public transportation.

Ok so spiel over. If you want to stay in an alternative to a hotel room without a car your best option is a condo/town house or something similar on the bottom end of IDrive or right off 192. Both of those have a bus service going past. You can ride the Lynx bus, which can take about an hour and a half to get into the parks. Remember this is a regular service bus and at night, after the fireworks you might not get on the first or even the second bus (they run every 1/2 hour to an hour depending on route).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
Mick takes care of the driving with his smashing quick car tips, so I'm going to do my usual spiel.

This us the land of the car. Distances are so much greater than you would think. Only people that can't afford a car ride the bus, so buses only run in the area they're needed and that not where the villas are. You are going to an area the size of Greater Manchester but with inferior public transportation.

Ok so spiel over. If you want to stay in an alternative to a hotel room without a car your best option is a condo/town house or something similar on the bottom end of IDrive or right off 192. Both of those have a bus service going past. You can ride the Lynx bus, which can take about an hour and a half to get into the parks. Remember this is a regular service bus and at night, after the fireworks you might not get on the first or even the second bus (they run every 1/2 hour to an hour depending on route).
Thanks ILHO

I appreciate your comments but I also recognise that driving in a strange country is not for everyone and I certainly wouldn't put pressure on anyone if I thought that the stress of even thinking about driving will spoil their holiday.

I'm here and happy to help if the OP asks

Mick
Old 20 Aug 16, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
H_C-2017
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Kernowpool View Post
Folks Can you please help a newbie to this site and to planning a Florida vacation

I would like to take my family of 5 to Florida late July to early August 2017 for 2 weeks

Ideally we would like to book a Villa, but i really do not wish to drive.

Can any of you please suggest good locations to begin our plans?

We are looking to be within good transportation distances to the major Disney Parks, Universal and the water parks

Thanks is advance for your potential help
Hello!
I have no direct advice myself but a month or so ago zelda8 stayed in a villa on sunset lakes with no car using just uber so may be worth asking them about how they got on. When I spoke to them it was going well and costing around $12 dollars for a single trip to disney parks.

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=957928

This is their thread from when they were deciding whether or not to use uber instead of a hire car.

I'm planning a trip next year but we haven't decided if we are going to stay on site or off. We won't be hiring a car probably so will be using uber.

If you decide on a villa - try the formosa gardens or sunset lakes area as they are closest so uber will cost less. Or if you want off site but not a villa maybe somewhere near crossroads or floridays which gets really good reviews.

enjoy planning.
H_C-2017 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mostonmike
Trading Disney Pins

mostonmike's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
It wasn't until the 6th time () we went did I pluck up the courage to drive and now regret not doing it sooner. So I know how you are feeling.

The advice on here is great, but maybe I can add to it that you just need that first trip in the car to go really well. You will then soon get the hang of it. I recall my first trip from the airport in the dark and raining was really intimidating - but the next morning with bright sunshine and the roads a little quieter suddenly made it a joy.

I don't know if many do this - but if I could have my time again I would probably try and find a way to pick up a car from an Alamo on International Drive on the second morning. Might be a compromise that builds that confidence?
Oct 1995, Jul 2001 & Sep 2023 - Quality Inn International, Feb 2008 - Enclave, Jul 2009 - Rosen Centre, Feb 2011 & Feb 2012 - Rosen Inn by Pointe Orlando, Feb 2013 Highlands Reserve, Apr 2017 Tuscany Villas Vista Cay & Windsor Palms, Sep 2017 Manhattan, Apr 2018/19/22/23 Vegas
mostonmike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
H_C-2017
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mostonmike View Post
It wasn't until the 6th time () we went did I pluck up the courage to drive and now regret not doing it sooner. So I know how you are feeling.

The advice on here is great, but maybe I can add to it that you just need that first trip in the car to go really well. You will then soon get the hang of it. I recall my first trip from the airport in the dark and raining was really intimidating - but the next morning with bright sunshine and the roads a little quieter suddenly made it a joy.

I don't know if many do this - but if I could have my time again I would probably try and find a way to pick up a car from an Alamo on International Drive on the second morning. Might be a compromise that builds that confidence?
Feel the need just to comment on your username - I went to high school in moston :p
H_C-2017 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
BIGDENNIS10UK
Imagineer

Mobile

Try the hotels on hotel plaza boulevard, walking distance to Disney springs, most have got there own transport to Disney parks.

It's like being onsite but if you book the best western LBV, it's slot cheaper.
BIGDENNIS10UK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Also there is a company called Car on the drive - your car will be waiting at the villa and they will collect and take you back to the airport so you can get used to car around the villa resort
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread