Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
#1
mickey house
VIP Dibber
 
mickey house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 06
Using iphone as wifi hotspot

I want to set up a wifi cctv camera where no wifi is available by using an old iphone with a payg data sim card which will be permanently plugged in (there is mains power but no wifi where the wifi cctv camera is going). I'm assuming that even though the wifi cctv camera will be permanently connected to the iphone via wifi, it will only cost me data when I access the cctv camera or when it sends me updates, so I would appreciate if anyone can confirm this is correct?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
#2
kk20
Apprentice Imagineer
 
kk20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 13
Mobile

Correct. Any data from the phone (which will still operate and download updates etc) or the camera will incur data charges. Note that camera apps still tend to send data even when not in use.
__________________
Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea
Disneyland Paris: Dream castle, Magic castle, Cheyenne, Santa Fe, Explorers, Disneyland Hotel and Hotel New York Disneyland Anaheim Disneyland Hong Kong (a week after it opened!)
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
#3
mickey house
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
mickey house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 06
Originally Posted by kk20 View Post
Correct. Any data from the phone (which will still operate and download updates etc) or the camera will incur data charges. Note that camera apps still tend to send data even when not in use.
Many thanks that's reassuring. I don't mind using data but I don't want it to use it non stop 24 hours a day.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
#4
BerkshireBugsy
All round good bloke
 
BerkshireBugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I want to set up a wifi cctv camera where no wifi is available by using an old iphone with a payg data sim card which will be permanently plugged in (there is mains power but no wifi where the wifi cctv camera is going). I'm assuming that even though the wifi cctv camera will be permanently connected to the iphone via wifi, it will only cost me data when I access the cctv camera or when it sends me updates, so I would appreciate if anyone can confirm this is correct?
I would have thought the answer was 'it depends"

If, for example, you have a camera which has motion detection it *may* generate traffic if it detects motion - depends if it has that capability and if it is enabled.
__________________
Fancy some light relief? Have a look at my Florida 2018 trippy here. No entrance charge and everyone is welcome
BerkshireBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
#5
mickey house
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
mickey house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 06
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I would have thought the answer was 'it depends"

If, for example, you have a camera which has motion detection it *may* generate traffic if it detects motion - depends if it has that capability and if it is enabled.
It will have pir that will send alerts but where it's going it won't trigger very often so I guess it would use a low amount of data per month from being triggered. I appreciate that if I want to monitor the camera it will cost data, but I only plan to do that for a few seconds a day to check the camera is still working okay.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in Disney Park Tickets
On 20th November 4:14pm
Park Hopper Option Returns to Walt Disney World Resort on Jan. 1, 2021As the phased reopening of Walt... Read More »
Posted in epcot
On 20th November 11:29am
As part of the D23 Fantastic Worlds Celebration, Disney shared details about the historic transformation... Read More »
Posted in Walt Disney World
On 27th October 3:18pm
Walt Disney World has announced that their entrance gateways to Walt Disney World are about... Read More »

theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
CaxtonFX  $1.2972
Covent Garden FX  $1.3200
FAIRFX  $1.3035
John Lewis  $1.3133
M&S  $1.2880
Post Office  $1.2873
Sainsburys  $1.3044
TESCO  $1.3060
Travelex  $1.2962
Updated: 19:30 28/11/2020
Euro Rates
CaxtonFX  €1.0844
Covent Garden FX  €1.1006
FAIRFX  €1.0955
John Lewis  €1.0985
M&S  €1.0785
Post Office  €1.0773
Sainsburys  €1.0926
TESCO  €1.0929
Travelex  €1.0867
Updated: 19:30 28/11/2020

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now