Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Oct 20, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We had a child die of cancer at our school 19 years ago and her parents donated a small cherry tree. It is still going strong but not too big and has a tag around it with her name and dates on. Even new children know about her as they always ask why it's called Emma's tree.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

I work in a Secondary school and as always your posts really move me. I think the bench is a really lovely idea. We also have an Awards ceremony with special trophies awarded for students in memory of those we have lost. It’s always very touching to remember people in this way.
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I think it would be fitting to create an award in your daughter's memory for staff who have gone above and beyond to support a student/family within the school community. Both students and families could be invited to make nominations and it could help foster the caring and supportive culture in what already seems to be an amazing school.

If you wanted to do something specifically for your daughter's peers as they leave 6th form, how about a small monetary award for students who may be pursuing a career path in the care or service of others, eg medicine, nursing, emergency services?

I am so sorry for your loss.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Mobile

Maybe a donation to make the pastoral care room/parents room a little nicer?

Our children's primary school have a room to comfort/reassure the children, and sometimes their parents, which has Ikea sofas and cushions, lamps to adjust the lighting and some toys and decorative items which the children can touch/hold.
It was previously a very grey, staid room, much like the room available at the secondary school.

It is so thoughtful of your family to consider a gift for your daughters' school.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wow what an amazing thought to think of those that helped you when you needed it most. Really heart warming.

At our school we have a outside area with trees, shrubs, benches all of which have been donated by families or pupils for many different reasons, some sad and some celebratory who have attended our school. Each item has a small brass plaque with details of who and why this was donated for. No need to keep coming back to the school but enough to say thanks for everything you have done.

In the summer the kids sit under the trees at lunch or on the benches in the morning. Some may notice the plaques some may not but the reminder is there should their eye wander to it. A great way to say I was here and thanks for all the help, love and support in tough times.

Edited at 12:44 AM.
levtweeney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Thank you all so much for your replies.

You really have given me plenty to think about and some lovely ideas...

I will talk it through with DH and DD2. I especially need to take into consideration DD2's feelings as she hates the idea of getting any 'special attention' at school, she just wants to blend in which is understandable. That's why I thought I might leave it until she is due to leave but then I don't know if that is too long a time and the moment has passed...

I still have a feeling that I do want to do something personal for the head and head of house...

Thank you all.

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
janeg88
Imagineer

janeg88's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What was DD1s particular interests?

Not the same sad circumstances as yourself but my son was fundraising for Borneo this summer which didn’t happen.

We chose to give some money to the music department and asked them to choose someone who couldn’t afford lessons to use the cash to pay for lessons. This was anonymous but we know it will have gone to someone deserving.

My son also spent a lot of time at a games club in the library at lunchtime so we (publicly this time) gave them £300 to buy new games. The librarian involved the current group in choosing the games and invited DS in a few weeks into the new term, full risk assessment done to see the games and have hit chocolate.

Another thing we are constantly running out of are microwaveable cuddly animals for kids who are poorly! You’ve know idea how many teenagers like a warm animal to cuddle when they are poorly.

There’s also some good books around bereavement that perhaps the library would like. Not just conventional bereavement but understanding loss.

The staff sound lovely, and what they would appreciate most is your support and thanks for their support and thanks.

Hope that helps I’ve tried to steer away from more conventional ideas.
janeg88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List