Old 2 Feb 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 22
They want to see the 'real' Florida Nov 2020 pre trip report

When we got back from the 4 became 2 trip we had a very sulky teenage son, so after chatting with Ben I was allowed to promise him a trip. Originally we had planned for January or March 2021 but that was just too far. Ben really enjoyed the food and wine festival so using that as bribery he agreed to November again.

The last time James was in Florida was over Christmas when he was 8, he loved it and still talks a lot about it. Particularly Discovery Cove, Hogwarts at IOA and MVMCP. He was too small to ride the big coasters at US back then and cant wait to get on them now.
Anyway, the reason for the title is that one of the stipulations for this trip was that I wasn't allowed to book onsite and I've got limited park days (boo). The men both want to see the 'real' Florida.
James December 2012

James at DLP last July

I originally reserved the Best Western Convention Center for our stay, I've stayed there before, loved the location and we basically do just use the room to sleep in, was then planning on booking flights separately and using lyft/uber during the stay. We used lyft during our trip last November and they were great.
But then I saw a review for LBV Village resort and spa and started searching for prices. I found a great deal with Virgin so will be booking that next month (Ben has just started a new job so waiting for wages to sort themselves out ), the two bed apartment will work so well for us, no sharing the room with a stinky teenage boy, we will upgrade to club room so the balcony with firework view pleases me and I sold Ben with the whirlpool bath and pirate ship in the pool. I am considering turning down the car and just using lyft again and free shuttles to parks.
The choice of restaurants in Florida has really appealed to Ben and he has been adding to the list which includes; Kekes, Teaks, Ford Garage, Sweet Tomatoes and a return to Red Lobster.

So fingers crossed for next month when I can book the hotel for 10 nights, I'm also considering booking 1 night at a US hotel for the express passes as I did this back when I did the Christmas stay with James and it was really useful, as well as the extra hour in the park in the morning.

So any recommendations for letting the men see the 'real' Florida would be gratefully received lol
sammi71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Elsa42
Apprentice Imagineer

Elsa42's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great start to your pre trippie. I'm afraid its our first time offsite so I haven't got any recommendations on that front but looking forward to seeing your plans.

Looks like your food list is coming along. Ive just finished my offsite eats list on my pre trippie and went through 51 different restaurant menus! We also have sweet tomatoes and ford garage on our list.
Elsa42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
So the other night I thought I would price up tickets, check against a bundle from ATD and seperate day tickets to the parks, of course the bundle won. I managed to get them whilst ATD still had their buy adult tickets at child prices.

Was talking to Ben last night and explaining about the FOL passes at Universal and how you get them free if you book a night at a Universal hotel and the saving involved too, guess who gave me the ok to go ahead and book a night :-) Now just to choose which one. James and I already stayed in the HRH so thinking I might pick a different one

The restaurant list is growing and busy researching non park things to do, one thing I found was that The Main Event which includes bowling, laser tag, mini golf and a few other activities do a Monday night special of $10.95 per person for unlimited activities, so that has gone on the list of things to do
sammi71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

It sounds like you're going to have a lovely trip. I'm looking forward to hearing about the ways you come up with to explore the real Florida.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Looking at an airboat trip and really exploring I-drive. Celebration is going to get a visit too for the car parade on the Saturday night. Ben wants to go to Clearwater but without a car I cant find a transfer that doesn't give you more than 3 hrs there and he would spend that on the beach alone
Old 10 Feb 20, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarentino
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sammi71 View Post
Ben wants to go to Clearwater but without a car I cant find a transfer that doesn't give you more than 3 hrs there and he would spend that on the beach alone

Last year we went with Florida Dolphin Tours, they now go by the name City Sightseeing Orlando. I think we had about 6 or 7 hours there, if you go on a Wednesday you get slightly longer as they run a fishing trip that day (it might have changed now). We booked it through Groupon & have re-booked for this year too, with a discount code it worked out at $25 per person (I had a 50% off code).
Clarentino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

A compromise is worth it to keep everyone happy ...especially if it means a return trip to Florida
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Clarentino View Post
Last year we went with Florida Dolphin Tours, they now go by the name City Sightseeing Orlando. I think we had about 6 or 7 hours there, if you go on a Wednesday you get slightly longer as they run a fishing trip that day (it might have changed now). We booked it through Groupon & have re-booked for this year too, with a discount code it worked out at $25 per person (I had a 50% off code).
Thank you, will have a look, it will keep him happy
Old 11 Feb 20, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
A compromise is worth it to keep everyone happy ...especially if it means a return trip to Florida
Exactly Last night he tried saying that we better make this a good one as we won't be going back for a few years, he was immediately corrected as he had promised last year an onsite stay as I turn 50 as well as it being wdw 50th, nice try though lol
Old 11 Feb 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
So last night we all sat down and went over the rough itinerary I had worked out, this will no doubt change and be juggled over the coming months, and of course waterparks are subject to the weather, but it seemed to keep everyone happy. James was more interested in when and where we will be eating. He is autistic and has to have 3 meals a day even if he isn't really hungry, so there will be plenty of snacks being had.

We have decided to go back to the orginal plan of staying at the Days Inn Convention Center, this was discussed last night and we do only really use it for sleeping and as Ben said the bigger the saving the more shopping I can do :-)

So this is the plan so far

Travel Day - no real plan as yet, just a request from Ben that we book the No.1 lounge again
Day 1 - HS and Epcot - Star Wars and the F&W festival are the basis I used as bribery for this trip

Day 2 - AK and MK, definitely want to eat at Yak & Yeti with the Landry Card

Day 3 - US/IOA we will be booking a one night stay at a Universal hotel to get the FOTL passes, food will be on City Walk, they are looking the like of Cowfish at the moment

Day 4 - US/IOA looking at Chuys for dinner this evening as we all love Mexican food

Day 5 - Volcano Bay and Seaworld, Longhorns planned for dinner this day

Day 6 - Boggy Creek/Disney Waterpark/Old Town, this is a Saturday so the car parade will be on, Kobe Steakhouse planned for dinner

Day 7 - Disney Mini golf/Magic Kingdom/Disney Springs, Blaze has been requested for dinner

Day 8 - Activities on I-Drive, going to really explore the area, Ben builds escape rooms so we are going to do one in Orlando, Wonderworks has been requested too and the Eye

Day 9 - Busch Gardens

Day 10 - Shopping and home, lunch at Fords Garage

If we can fit in a Clearwater trip we will, maybe split the I-drive day over a few evening instead, going off last years park times, they were closing at 9pm so still a bit of time to explore i-drive in the evening

Edited at 06:23 PM.