Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Aug 20, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Every cloud, redundancy story

My nephew was made redundant in June, been working there 8 years but it was easier to pay him off than many others who wanted redundancy it seems. He was offered 2 jobs before he even formally left though and took one with Amazon which he absolutely loves.
BUT, he always wanted to work for BAE. He’s been in the RAF as a weapons technician, worked for a firm that made aircraft undercarriage so had the skills...
Anyway, 3 interviews and a skills test later, he’s got the job with BAE

So, he would not have moved jobs had he not been pushed and now has his dream job.

I’m posting this to highlight that if you end up in the same position, stay positive, look for something, anything for now. And hang on to the hope that it could just turn out well in the end

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

Glad he got his dream job.

I was made redundant (i had been looking since the job was listed at risk) and was offered another job the next day.

So get made redundant next week and start the week after

Not my dream job but more money and better conditions and more interesting job.
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Well done to him!

I think it’s particularly important to hear about people getting offered jobs at this time. It can seem so bleak just to hear about the redundancies, but there are some opportunities out there even if there are fewer than usual.

Good luck to anyone else job hunting, I should find out in the next couple of weeks if my role is likely to go 🤞🤞🤞
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by wombat girl View Post
Glad he got his dream job.

I was made redundant (i had been looking since the job was listed at risk) and was offered another job the next day.

So get made redundant next week and start the week after

Not my dream job but more money and better conditions and more interesting job.
Sorry about the redundancy,but conversely glad that you have something to move on to so soon. Good luck in your new job 👍

OP, thanks for posting. So good to hear about a silver lining like this. Good luck to him.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

My daughter is facing redundancy from PGL as they are getting rid of her level of management
She’s applied for teacher training. She did her degree at UEA in Norwich in Geography & has applied for a year PGCE course in Geography. She found out last Tuesday about the redundancy and has already submitted her UCAS application & references
She’s not sure if she will get in this year as it’s very close to the cut off date, but if not she’s already talking about applying next year and looking for some temp work until then
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
My daughter is facing redundancy from PGL as they are getting rid of her level of management
She’s applied for teacher training. She did her degree at UEA in Norwich in Geography & has applied for a year PGCE course in Geography. She found out last Tuesday about the redundancy and has already submitted her UCAS application & references
She’s not sure if she will get in this year as it’s very close to the cut off date, but if not she’s already talking about applying next year and looking for some temp work until then

Good for her, really wishing her the best of luck

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Thanks Sue
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you for sharing this positive story. Very important for young people having a hard time with job security just now to know that there is hope.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MUAlumni
Excited about Disney

What’s his role at Amazon? been looking at one myself as lockdown has made me realise I’d like a job closer to home.
MUAlumni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
UPDATE

Just to update
DD has accepted a voluntary redundancy package from PGL and will officially finish in November, although she is still furloughed at present.
DD did miss the cut off date for 2020 intake, however she has just completed a selection day and has been offered a place to do a PGCE with qualified teacher status course in Geography starting September 2021 at the University of Cumbria. She’s also been offered front of house restaurant job in the meantime.
DD has considered teaching in the past but wouldn’t have been in a position to train, as Geography is a desired subject she can apply to the Royal Geographical society for a scholarship, if that isn’t successful there will be a University bursary.
So as OP said hopefully others will have a good outcome with job opportunities