Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 1 Feb 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Is free dining still happening

I feel quite out of touch, the free dining plan was great for us in 2011 & 2015. Maybe the days of this are over. I know that the price in general was higher when this was on but we still liked having our dining credits.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sadly there is no free dining plan available at the moment - many Dibb members are keeping fingers, toes and everything elsecrossed that it does come bacl eventaully.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It's not only free dining, there are currently no dining plans at all even to buy.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

They don’t put hotel prices up when free dining is on. But I don’t expect any offers this year for 2022 stays, I think it will come back as a purchasable plan first.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Considering Disney has been trying to get rid of free dining for sometime don't expect it to come back at all. Disney will not need it for people to come back when everything is back to normal.
Any way free dining reduced the food quality and variety and now it has started to improve without free dining.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Considering Disney has been trying to get rid of free dining for sometime don't expect it to come back at all. Disney will not need it for people to come back when everything is back to normal.
Any way free dining reduced the food quality and variety and now it has started to improve without free dining.
I haven’t heard this before... If they wanted to get rid of it why didn’t they just get rid of it?
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

It'll be a shame if it's gone. We used to book the signature restaurants with two credits and use the quick service and snacks on other days. We did have some great meals although the tip and alcohol costs were sometimes the price of an off site meal . I don't know if we could justify signature restaurant prices without it.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 21, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
I haven’t heard this before... If they wanted to get rid of it why didn’t they just get rid of it?
Exactly. They’ve been doing it since 2005/06. If it didn’t make them money then they wouldn’t do it. They are a business first and foremost. They tweak it to suite them, removing starters, tips included, desserts etc and adding alcohol and extra snack credits and even recently the breakfast credit. Never believed they’ve been trying to get rid of it. If they wanted to they’d just do it. I don’t think they were planning on removing it however Covid changes things. I don’t think free dining will be back for 2022 as there are too many uncertainties and cost cutting measures in place until the pandemic is done. I’m sure it will be back at some point.

Edited at 11:43 AM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 21, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Actually think it will return purely based on the fact that there are no incentives to pay the hefty onsite price but it may also depend on how this effects their current business model going forward- I mean any company that thinks a $150 each way, Mickey van is going to replace a previously Free service, is totally out of touch in my eyes! I don't think it will be next year unless the 50th is a disaster & who knows how the new minimum wage is going to affect Restaurants as it appears that servers will no longer have/be an exemption ( & they are not happy about it). For any plan to return I think they will have to be back to at least 75% or possibly full capacity before it happens
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
At the moment free dining, and dining plans in general, are not happening. As far as anyone knows there are no immediate plans to reinstate them. Whether free dining will return sometime in the future is anyone's guess.

Free dining was certainly popular with UK guests, and I think for many USA guests as well. In recent years there was a queue just to get onto the Disney UK website when free dining became available. It helped to sell a lot of (overpriced) onsite stays. It was a major factor in us chosing to stay onsite.

But, at the moment whilst this pandemic is going on, the incentive for Disney to cram as many people into their hotels as possible isn't there. So there's no need for them to offer free dining and the like right now. But in a couple of years time, I would hope things will be different and then Disney may start offering incentives to stay onsite again.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List