Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 Aug 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Malfa
Having Dinner with Goofy

Car hire with BA

When booking a flight and car with BA, there’s a choice of Avis or Budget. Is one company better than the other? Looking to fly into and out of Tampa, picking car up at the airport and travel to Orlando. We’ve always booked with Alamo in the past.
Malfa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
JoanicSicos
Getting Excited

I believe (and someone will be along to correct me if I am) Budget is owned by Avis parent group, and in some locations even share desks and fleets.

Avis however gives you benefit of Avis preferred allowing you in some cases to skip the counter and go straight to the garage, something that Budget currently does not.
JoanicSicos is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
missymouse
slightly serious Dibber

If its your first time hiring from Avis I dont think you can skip the counter, this may have changed since we last used them though.

I have booked a budget car with BA as it was cheaper than the Avis cars. I have hired off both previously and had no issues.
missymouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
If you are a first timer with Avis you can still go straight to the garage, but you have to visit the kiosk to sort out paperwork.
Subsequent visits should allow you to skip all kiosks altogether as your name should be on a board in the garage telling you which bay your car is in.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Malfa
Having Dinner with Goofy

Thanks all for the replies, when we’ve used Alamo previously we’ve gone straight to the garage, it saves the upgrade hard sell. That will possibly sway me towards Avis.
Malfa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Hi

They are the same company but the difference is actually in the name Budget. If you know cars or are any way familiar with brands its best to think of it like this.

Dodge caravan / Chrysler town and country.

Basically the same care same panels, built in same place and same size, But the spec and the little toys are how they differ. The Chrysler will usually have better sound system better comfort levels and better safety toys. In short dodge is the budget version of Chrysler.

Avis supply Chrysler, Budget supply dodge.

Same with KIA and Hyundai. They both share platforms and inner workings they are the same company I30 clone of ceed, Sportage clone of Tucson.

Avis supply Hyundai, budget supply KIA.

The company themselves are the same and have very similar terms and conditions if not identical. It's the little extras that differ like the cars. Yes Avis do give you preferred (straight to garage). But not if its first time using them. But both give you free driver for spouse which is good.

I like using both company's and would say they are on a par when using for first time. And no worse than any other company.

For me comes down to price. I have just booked the route you have discussed. I was offered explorer with budget for 100 less than compact with Avis.

Regards hard sale i don't find them bad or at least not worse than any other company. Just be firm and check invoice before signing.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

I literally just came to ask the same question!

Great answers, thank you
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsmagoo
Imagineer

we have gone with budget as they were £150 cheaper than avis. i can manage to stand in a queue for a few minutes to save £150. Used Avis previously and they were great but its all about the price for me!
mrsmagoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
emwratten
Imagineer

Has anyone tried to set up Fast Break with Budget? we are trying but can't get passed the address input!
emwratten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
JoanicSicos
Getting Excited

I believe fast break is now only available for the North America and not Europe.
JoanicSicos is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List