Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 3 Mar 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Queen Mary 2

DH has had a lifelong dream to cruise to New York on the QE2, then fly home on Concorde. Unfortunately, neither of those modes of transport are operational any longer - sad face.

So in 2 years he has a big birthday with a 0 on the end of it, plus it will be our 10th wedding anniversary, so out of interest I looked to see what now does sail to New York, and found that Cunard do a cruise to there on the Queen Mary 2. Ooh!

Given that we stayed for a night on the QM1 in Long Beach a couple of years ago, I thought that the QM2 may be a good substitute for his dream trip, so I went ahead and booked a 7 night cruise, followed by 4 nights in New York, and the package also includes a flight back to London (probably not on Concorde, though).

I was extremely surprised to discover 2 things. One, that even though this trip isn't until 2022, it is almost completely sold out. And two, the cost is actually comparable with 2 weeks in Disney World - not that we wouldn't rather go to Disney, but this will be a once in a lifetime trip for us, and I was just surprised at the cost!

I've put a deposit down, and we have a King room with a balcony - I thought it would be so special to sit on our balcony and watch sunset over the sea some nights.

Excited, me!
Old 3 Mar 20, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Mobile

A lady I worked with did this she absolutely loved it
I’m sure you will have an amazing time too .
inky1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 20, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like an wonderful, and special trip! Amazing to think it's nearly sold out though!
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 20, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

We've been on queen Elizabeth but we picked it up in NY and did panama canal . Ship was beautiful . It's probably nearly sold out because the people who go with cunard tend to be older and go year after year with them. It's a dressy cruise , casual by day , we were on 18 nights and had 5 formal nights and the rest were dressy , entertainment, activities and food all good you'll enjoy it I'm sure
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 20, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

We did a 2 nighter on Queen Mary 2 last year. A very majestic ship, although I think the Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth are nearly as grand. Difference is that Mary is bigger and has solid wood decks. There’s also the Commodores cuff links at the front of the ship and a viewing gallery where you can see the Bridge operations.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 20, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh amazing. When I was wee that was my dream trip as well. We are going in May for my 50th then 6 nights in Naples and 3 in key largo. We can’t wait. We have all our gladrags bought and dh has learned how to tie his own bow tie.
We have also booked a balcony room. We went for the club level so we weren’t tied to specific meal times.
Old 6 Mar 20, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Mobile

You could always go to Dubai and stay on the QE2 for a few nights..we done it last year and it was really good ...you could just feel the history.
Or if you do a Transatlantic to NY ...Concorde is on the Intrepid in port...not the same as flying or sailing them both...but still good.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 20, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jet View Post
You could always go to Dubai and stay on the QE2 for a few nights..we done it last year and it was really good ...you could just feel the history.
Or if you do a Transatlantic to NY ...Concorde is on the Intrepid in port...not the same as flying or sailing them both...but still good.
I was going to say the same! We’ve been on both - the QE2 (in Dubai) and Concorde (at the museum of flight near Edinburgh). Both were well worth a visit.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
QM2 is alovely ship. Your husband can visit concorde in New York at one of the museums.
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Bit of a sad update to this - Cunard recently emailed me to say that because they have had to cancel all this year's sailings and most of next year's, too, they are concentrating on the 100-day round the world sailings in 2022 and therefore our cruise has been cancelled. They will give us 125% of our deposit in cruise credit if we want to book that cruise, otherwise we will have to just suck it up and wait forever for our deposit back in actual money. Much as we would have loved to have gone on the round the world cruise, the £12k each price tag put me off somewhat so I've opted for the refund! Ah well, the best laid plans and all that.