Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Looks good

I have just had the wet room changed in my en-suite to a proper shower area with sink and toilet. Apart form no longer being fashionable around here I hated standing in water after a shower and the demarcation works well for me

Now to do the same with my other apartment as it will be harder to sell with a wet room
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Looks good

I have just had the wet room changed in my en-suite to a proper shower area with sink and toilet. Apart form no longer being fashionable around here I hated standing in water after a shower and the demarcation works well for me

Now to do the same with my other apartment as it will be harder to sell with a wet room
En-suite - shower is full width of bathroom

Family Bathroom

Moore traditional - no bidet underfloor heating (now throughout the apartment) and a super big bath which is really all this room is used for so far
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I detest those push fit pipe joints but they are quick I agree. I won't have them in my house and my Mates wont either.
I have been using the speedfit connectors for many years, I know a lot of people distrust them, especially 'old school' plumbers, butI feel that distrust is misplaced.

Normal water pressure in a house is around 50 PSI? These connectors will withstand 10 times that. in pressure test I have seen them withstand 700+ PSI.

Many years ago I was doing a bathroom and kitchen, did it all with speedfit connectors but the radiator pipes in the bathroom had very little clearance and I asked the plumber that was fitting a new boiler if he could just solder a couple of joints for me. When we filled and tested the system the only leak was from the soldered joint

I think the main problem with these connectors is a lot of plumbers don't know how to use them properly. Seen a few plumbers fitting the pipes without using the proper inserts.

Edited at 10:59 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing it finished.
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Wow! You have worked so hard. Well done.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

That looks really neat and clean ready to be tiled!

Originally Posted by kateh134 View Post
Looks good and looking forward to seeing the end result. We’ve had a lot of work done over the past few weeks with more to be done over the next 2 weeks, but sadly we don’t have the skills to do it ourselves. Our house continually throws up surprises which mean most jobs are straightforward!
Know what you mean! I think the entire house moving population are bodgers except for the poor dibbers who buy their houses

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Looking at the state of the plumbing I think the previous plumber's name was probably 'Mario' and he must have worked for 'Nintendo' going by the puzzle of pipework he made

Again know what you mean, we had the same rats nest of plumbing and cables when we took ours out!
Old 25 Oct 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Next task was to remove the toilet and bidet. As we are not replacing the bidet the pipework for the bidet needed sealing off and the toilet pipework needed moving so I could move the toilet to a more central position.

one thing I found was that the original cowboy plumber that fitted the toilet cisten had not bothered to connect an overflow pipe! It wasn't even an internal overflow syphon. They had just left the overflow open to the wall cavity, so had the cistern overflowed the water would have gone un-noticed in to the wall cavity causing untold damage

Are there any 'real' tradesmen left in this country or are they all just 'bodgits' now I don't know if it is because they don't have the actual skills or if the 'pride in your work' attitude is severely lacking!

Anyhow mini rant over, back to ripping out the toilet and bidet.

Capped off the pipes that were no longer in use and moved the water and soil pipe for the new location of the toilet. re-plasterboard and removed the old radiator.

Had to sort out the vanity and sink area next. We had purchased a wall mount vanity and with the wall only being a plasterboard wall with no studs that I could use I needed to build a supporting structure to hold the weight and remove and strain on the plasterboard fixings.

Next job was to tackle the lighting. It had old 28v halogen down lights and I wanted to replace with 240v bathroom rated modern LED down lights.

Went up in to the loft to check out the wiring to be greeted with this dangerous mess!

just carefully removing the loft insulation was enough to dislodge two (240v) wires from the 'choc bloc'

The old 28v transformer removed and wiring made safe.

Edited at 10:47 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

Why does one job always lead to another ?!
Old 25 Oct 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Stu. Gosh you uncovered a few horror stories there.

I cannot believe the overflow issue! What is wrong with some people as it's not a big job to install it correctly in the first place. Sad to see work like that

Then the electrics. Hey ho it's only water and electricity. No danger to the occupants at all
Beggars belief.

Bet you were aching after working in those tight spaces for hours at a time!

However coming along nicely.

For others reading the key to a good Tradesman normally is when you have find one see if he has Mates he recommends. Not always the case but 99% of the time we don't recommend anybody unless they are to our own personal standard.

Edit. I see you have a lump hammer. I could never get on with those albeit they are good. I much preferred a longer handled hammer.
Funny how we are all different in what we like.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 10:11 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Love*my*hols View Post
Why does one job always lead to another ?!
Don’t get me started on that topic, we’ll be here for the foreseeable future 😄