Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 20, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Fireplace Requirements

Hello! We have been in our house now for 2 years and have never used our fireplace. The past 2 Christmases we have been in Florida and our trip home to Australia for Christmas this year has now been cancelled so I have called a Chimney Sweep to come and make sure it is safe to use and also clean it out too if needs be, however she can’t fit us in until December. Not sure if people use them all the time or just in December?

We have never used a fireplace (we are more accustomed to air conditioning as we come from a coastal area) and I would be very grateful for any information, tips or hints you could give regarding the appropriate equipment we would need as well as the types of timber to get in advance of her coming to sort out the fireplace. Thank you

Pic of the fireplace.

Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

What a pretty fireplace, wish ours was as cute!
We moved in last October a year ago and because we had no idea when the chimney was last swept we didn't use it until we had but only had to wait about a month. It probably would have been alright but as first time open fire owners we wouldn't have known if there was rubbish/birds nest/tar build up which could have caused a chimney fire! Our sweep left us with a certificate (bit like your gas boiler/MOT) that means we are covered by our house insurance if a fire happens. We have just had them out again as the year is up and there was quite a bit more soot etc this time as we have had lots of fires as well as relying on it for nearly 2 weeks when the boiler broke down! Have you tried other ones? Guess it is a busy time of year as people start to light fires again!

I would have thought there are loads of people who aren't as consciencous so up to you if you want to light it. I have some logs that you can just light for effect that we thought of using if we couldn't get the sweep as wouldn't spark or be as hot as coal/wood! bmstores/products/...firelog-309325

Good luck.

Edited at 02:43 PM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We have our chimney sweep around every year but do book him months in advance as he's so busy this time of year.

We have a log burner so just use kindling and seasoned wood.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
What a pretty fireplace, wish ours was as cute!
We moved in last October a year ago and because we had no idea when the chimney was last swept we didn't use it until we had but only had to wait about a month. It probably would have been alright but as first time open fire owners we wouldn't have known if there was rubbish/birds nest/tar build up which could have caused a chimney fire! Our sweep left us with a certificate (bit like your gas boiler/MOT) that means we are covered by our house insurance if a fire happens. We have just had them out again as the year is up and there was quite a bit more soot etc this time as we have had lots of fires as well as relying on it for nearly 2 weeks when the boiler broke down! Have you tried other ones? Guess it is a busy time of year as people start to light fires again!

I would have thought there are loads of people who aren't as consciencous so up to you if you want to light it. I have some logs that you can just light for effect that we thought of using if we couldn't get the sweep as wouldn't spark or be as hot as coal/wood! bmstores/products/...firelog-309325

Good luck.
Hi think yours looks better😀😀
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

We got a generic dull gas fire after much nagging by her indoors and I've never seen her switch it on in the 2 years we've had it.

And the dog got In my photo for the third time today!

Edited at 04:28 PM.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
[QUOTE=parisdisneyfan;14690529]What a pretty fireplace, wish ours was as cute!

Good luck.[/

Thank you I love the tiles on your fireplace- they are are just lovely! We don’t mind waiting for her to come (we are also on the cancellation list too). I really appreciate you posting the link and I will make sure we get a certificate from her too, we really just need to get it cleaned and practice :grin I like the idea of the logs that you light for effect too, that might be a good starting point! Cheers

Edited at 05:37 PM.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
We have our chimney sweep around every year but do book him months in advance as he's so busy this time of year.

We have a log burner so just use kindling and seasoned wood.
Thank you, yes she did say she was very busy at the moment, however I really don’t mind waiting as she came highly recommended. So do you use the same wood for a log burner as a fireplace? Because I can probably order kindling and seasoned wood online if that is what you think I would need. Thanks again.
Old 23 Oct 20, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Trusty ian View Post
We got a generic dull gas fire after much nagging by her indoors and I've never seen her switch it on in the 2 years we've had it.

And the dog got In my photo for the third time today!
See now that is the kind of fireplace I could work extra points for the picture of your lovely dog
Old 23 Oct 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

The other thing to check is if the chimney has a cowl on it. We used to have a clip on one which had come off without me realising. I got the chimney sweep in as the chimney hadn’t been swept for a couple of years and apparently we had a jackdaw nest filling the chimney space. The stuff that came out was like something out of a horror film. The sweep said if I’d lit the fire the chimney would have caught alight.
As it had been a couple of years since the chimney had been swept I would not have been covered by my house insurance.

I do love a real fire though
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
The other thing to check is if the chimney has a cowl on it. We used to have a clip on one which had come off without me realising. I got the chimney sweep in as the chimney hadn’t been swept for a couple of years and apparently we had a jackdaw nest filling the chimney space. The stuff that came out was like something out of a horror film. The sweep said if I’d lit the fire the chimney would have caught alight.
As it had been a couple of years since the chimney had been swept I would not have been covered by my house insurance.

I do love a real fire though
Great thank you, I will make sure they check we have a cowl. I have no intention of lighting a fire before the chimney sweep comes and checks it but thank you for letting me know the dangers.

You fireplace looks so warm and toasty, I’m looking forward to getting ours ready for Christmas. Thank you