Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 19 Jun 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

MCO on Saturday was a nightmare. We were told that because it was being abused so badly they no longer have a separate queue for wheelchairs, we waited over an hour in the regular lines. And a warning for anyone planning on using the sunflower lanyard they don't appear to be honouring them - we saw at least three people wearing them in the queue too. They were very lucky there weren't some major meltdowns.
MrsGrumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We flew out on the 28th May and there was no wheelchair line

Had to wait quite a while for my WC to get to the aircraft and we were at the back of what was luckily a short queue
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We were sent straight to the US line last month. DS was in his wheelchair wearing his sunflower lanyard. We were through in minutes and before passengers first off our plane.
Old 20 Jun 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
keith&carol
Imagineer

keith&carol's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We were told in March that a woman is now in charge of MCO . She has worked at other major airports and in all of them she had got rid of wheelchair line at immigration. They had waited until she left then put it back again.
keith&carol is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
WendyBelle
Excited about Disney

How is this fair and equal? If you use a wheelchair you have to wait until the handlers come and get you, you usually have to wait a while after the plane has completely emptied.
If you were able bodied you would have an equal chance of getting into the immigration lines with everyone else but forcibly having to wait until last means you are always going to be at the back just because you have some kind of disability, which is unfair.
For my mum when she goes she says the wheelchair lane equals up any unfairness in the waiting time brought about by being forced to wait until the end and be always last. Wheelchair queues don't go sailing through either contrary to what some of her friends think, she says, there is often a queue there, but it went just a little way into making up for always being last off.
Surely it ties up the handlers time too, as you aren't allowed a family member to push you in an assistance wheelchair.
Should leave it how it was. My mum would gladly love to be able to walk and jostle her way into queue with the rest of the plane and not have her permanently mashed ankle than 'jump a wheelchair queue'
Old 20 Jun 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

We were at MCO in December and I had forgotten to ask for assistance for my daughter who has ADHD.

I spoke to an immigration officer who placed us in a special assistance queue. This happened at arrivals and departures. We waited fifteen to twenty minutes. They had passengers in wheelchairs in these queues on both occasions.

Immigration was extremely busy but the offcers were very helpful and courteous. If there is not an obvious queue, I would maybe just explain the situation, this is what I did, and they may just open an additional queue.

Two hour queues and children having meltdowns is a nightmare. Two hour queues and stuck in an airport wheelchair must be agony.
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
Two hour queues and stuck in an airport wheelchair must be agony.
It was!
MrsGrumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by WendyBelle View Post
How is this fair and equal? If you use a wheelchair you have to wait until the handlers come and get you, you usually have to wait a while after the plane has completely emptied.
If you were able bodied you would have an equal chance of getting into the immigration lines with everyone else but forcibly having to wait until last means you are always going to be at the back just because you have some kind of disability, which is unfair.
For my mum when she goes she says the wheelchair lane equals up any unfairness in the waiting time brought about by being forced to wait until the end and be always last. Wheelchair queues don't go sailing through either contrary to what some of her friends think, she says, there is often a queue there, but it went just a little way into making up for always being last off.
Surely it ties up the handlers time too, as you aren't allowed a family member to push you in an assistance wheelchair.
Should leave it how it was. My mum would gladly love to be able to walk and jostle her way into queue with the rest of the plane and not have her permanently mashed ankle than 'jump a wheelchair queue'
I totally agree with this. Almost disability discrimination.
This year DD and I are treating ourselves flying PE.
I use a wheelchair so will be last off the plane.
As I’ve said before how is that fair. I thought PE were first off the plane but because I’m using Assistance...!

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 04:23 AM  
Link to this Post
ayeready
Excited about Disney

Just a heads up.

We were met by MCO assistance as we got off the plane as usual. No changes at all at MCO.

It would seem people are not contacting the airport prior to arrival and arranging assistance. This is why there have been problems. If you just turn up and wave a sunflower lanyard your likely to have issues.
ayeready is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ayeready View Post
Just a heads up.

We were met by MCO assistance as we got off the plane as usual. No changes at all at MCO.

It would seem people are not contacting the airport prior to arrival and arranging assistance. This is why there have been problems. If you just turn up and wave a sunflower lanyard your likely to have issues.
Hi,
Can you just clarify what you mean by contacting airport prior to arrival for assistance?
We’ve booked Special Assistance with Virgin and looked at MCO website which just says contact your airline for SA? TIA.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List