Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 17 Jun 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamDisney
Getting Excited

Not all own brand cereal is as good though. I can (and still do) eat Sainsburys version of cheerios, but I prefer the taste of Morrisons own (yay for me as its cheaper). So, when some people have kids who don't like a supermarket version of something, I can understand it. There can be a difference in flavour (sometimes better, sometimes worse).

We've tried lots of different versions of a fruit museli, as DH likes Kellogg's Just Right cereal and it has a ridiculous price! But, he insists that nothing we've tried so far comes close. I've even tried making our own version, but I can't get the mixture right there either. Sigh.

I'd be interested to try out Waitrose's Unpacked stuff though. See what the taste is like, and how the price compares, as really like the idea of cutting down on packaging. Hopefully they will roll it out to other stores, so we can give it a go. Already made the switch to shampoo bars.
DreamDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
In the last few years Wheat prices across North America and the Uk have risen due to poor weather, this years farmers in the US are already behind with planting due to bad weather, so no doubt wheat and Maize especially will rise in price again.

Supermarkets will also take advantage of customers believing that 'named' brands are better so will price them knowing people will buy them.
it's not just the supermarkets pricing them up though. The actual buying price to the supermarket is far higher as the brand manufacturer not only factors in their margin but marketing and promotional costs. .own label product don't have the latter two costs to incur.

Supermarkets will look for thee same percentage margin across a category so the higher the buy in price the higher the retail price

Edited at 03:24 PM.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
My SIL works in a biscuit factory. Some of the own brand biscuits are exactly the same as ones for a certain more upmarket shop - but the upmarket ones have posher packaging and a shorter use by date!
I've worked in food manufacturing for a long time and I would be amazed if that was the case. The recipe for a supermarket own brand product doesn't belong to the manufacturer but to the supermarket and if two own brand products were the same then that would be picked up on..in fact I'm very surprised the manufacturer would even allow that...it may be very similar but there would be differences, percentage of chocolate or fuit etc or even an inferior grade of raw materials.

Aldi by the way benchmark all their products against the brand and Sainsbury own label.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
Do you mean the farmers are asking for more money to compensate for late planting due to the weather.
more to do with less being grown..so with demand outstripping supply price go up
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DreamDisney View Post
Not all own brand cereal is as good though. I can (and still do) eat Sainsburys version of cheerios, but I prefer the taste of Morrisons own (yay for me as its cheaper). So, when some people have kids who don't like a supermarket version of something, I can understand it. There can be a difference in flavour (sometimes better, sometimes worse).

We've tried lots of different versions of a fruit museli, as DH likes Kellogg's Just Right cereal and it has a ridiculous price! But, he insists that nothing we've tried so far comes close. I've even tried making our own version, but I can't get the mixture right there either. Sigh.

I'd be interested to try out Waitrose's Unpacked stuff though. See what the taste is like, and how the price compares, as really like the idea of cutting down on packaging. Hopefully they will roll it out to other stores, so we can give it a go. Already made the switch to shampoo bars.
We still buy HP brown sauce as its the only one ds and dh likes. I buy Lor coffee as its the only coffee I like. your so right its just a case of trying and seeing what suits you.

Shampoo bars? I've never heard of them.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
more to do with less being grown..so with demand outstripping supply price go up
Thanks Coggie
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

We still buy HP brown sauce as its the only one ds and dh likes. I buy Lor coffee as its the only coffee I like. your so right its just a case of trying and seeing what suits you.

Shampoo bars? I've never heard of them.
Shampoo bars are becoming very popular..my eldest two daughters sell soap sponges, bath bombs and soaps online and the shampoo bars have really taken off
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Shampoo bars are becoming very popular..my eldest two daughters sell soap sponges, bath bombs and soaps online and the shampoo bars have really taken off
Do you just rub the shampoo bar into you hair?

its funny how we are going back to the days of old. At my local shops/Tesco we put our bits n bobs into boxes rather than bags. I save my boxes up and take them back to shops.
Old 17 Jun 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamDisney
Getting Excited

Mobile

Do you just rub the shampoo bar into you hair?

its funny how we are going back to the days of old. At my local shops/Tesco we put our bits n bobs into boxes rather than bags. I save my boxes up and take them back to shops.
Yes. Just rub it round in a circling motion around 3 times, and that is plenty lather to wash the hair nice and clean. Complete convert here. Got my first at Christmas, and it lasted until April! Even DH is converted. He couldn't believe how much it lathered up. His will last ages!

I tried a conditioner bar too, but I just cant get on with it. If I put enough on to be able to run my fingers through my hair, then it leaves a greasy film on my hair. And if I dont do that, then it's not enough to be able to run my fingers through, and brushing after the bath/shower is a nightmare and my hair gets really static! Lol. But I also found little bits would break off when I was trying to rub it on and would stick to the bath and would drive me crazy!
DreamDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List