Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.
ResalesDVC
Unread 17 Jun 19, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

You are basically paying for advertising and more shareholder profit.
Unread 17 Jun 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
You are basically paying for advertising and more shareholder profit.
Thanks I forgot about all the marketing these cereals have. I was just reading that it's wheatabix who make some of Morrison's own branded cereals.
Unread 17 Jun 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

My SIL works in a biscuit factory. Some of the own brand biscuits are exactly the same as ones for a certain more upmarket shop - but the upmarket ones have posher packaging and a shorter use by date!
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
DLP for lions, jungles and food, oh my!
Unread 17 Jun 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
My SIL works in a biscuit factory. Some of the own brand biscuits are exactly the same as ones for a certain more upmarket shop - but the upmarket ones have posher packaging and a shorter use by date!
It just shows its all in the packaging. It's mostly own brands we buy for everything except a few brands we like and have tried swapping but don't like the swap.
Unread 17 Jun 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamDisney
Proud to wear my Ears

Not all own brand cereal is as good though. I can (and still do) eat Sainsburys version of cheerios, but I prefer the taste of Morrisons own (yay for me as its cheaper). So, when some people have kids who don't like a supermarket version of something, I can understand it. There can be a difference in flavour (sometimes better, sometimes worse).

We've tried lots of different versions of a fruit museli, as DH likes Kellogg's Just Right cereal and it has a ridiculous price! But, he insists that nothing we've tried so far comes close. I've even tried making our own version, but I can't get the mixture right there either. Sigh.

I'd be interested to try out Waitrose's Unpacked stuff though. See what the taste is like, and how the price compares, as really like the idea of cutting down on packaging. Hopefully they will roll it out to other stores, so we can give it a go. Already made the switch to shampoo bars.
DreamDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our First Family WDW Holiday.
Unread 17 Jun 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
In the last few years Wheat prices across North America and the Uk have risen due to poor weather, this years farmers in the US are already behind with planting due to bad weather, so no doubt wheat and Maize especially will rise in price again.

Supermarkets will also take advantage of customers believing that 'named' brands are better so will price them knowing people will buy them.
it's not just the supermarkets pricing them up though. The actual buying price to the supermarket is far higher as the brand manufacturer not only factors in their margin but marketing and promotional costs. .own label product don't have the latter two costs to incur.

Supermarkets will look for thee same percentage margin across a category so the higher the buy in price the higher the retail price

Edited at 03:24 PM.
coggie is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I've worked in food manufacturing for a long time and I would be amazed if that was the case. The recipe for a supermarket own brand product doesn't belong to the manufacturer but to the supermarket and if two own brand products were the same then that would be picked up on..in fact I'm very surprised the manufacturer would even allow that...it may be very similar but there would be differences, percentage of chocolate or fuit etc or even an inferior grade of raw materials.

Aldi by the way benchmark all their products against the brand and Sainsbury own label.
coggie is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
Do you mean the farmers are asking for more money to compensate for late planting due to the weather.
more to do with less being grown..so with demand outstripping supply price go up
Holiday to Florida with Florida4less