Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 17 Apr 17, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Is it worth making a complaint at City Hall?

At 1:05pm today we happened across a meet and greet area for Alice & The Mad Hatter saying next showing 1:15pm. My girls aged 9 and 7 were excited with their autograph books and happy to join the line behind about 25 other people. Maybe 7 or 8 families in before us, so if it kicked off at 1:15pm which it did, then maybe 20 mins - 30 mins wait?

It kicked off but the queue didn't move as so many families arrived at the front with medical cards. We politely asked how long they reckoned it would be as had been 30 mins already. The lady on duty said there were no more medical card bookings so shouldn't be long. There were then two further medical card families who came through, it got to 1:55pm, so 50 mins queuing and then Alice and Madhatter disappeared for a 15 mins break as my girls were next up!

One of them burst into tears. I was told by the duty person to complain at City Hall. I did, and the lady there said she would sort out some passes to see Mickey. Great I thought. She called the head of characters and he refused the request, said that what happened to us was not an issue.

Just finding the whole DLP experience a bit like this to be honest. Ironically as I was in City Hall complaining someone next to me was having a medical card filled out...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

did you ask for a complaint/issues form to fill in at City Hall? I had a character-based issue at DLP a few years ago, just didn't feel it had been handled well at the venue, so I went to City Hall and asked for a form so I could write my issues down and leave it with them. I wasn't expecting anything personal in return, I just wanted DLP to be aware of the issue. But the CM I got at City Hall beavered away in the background while I was there completing my form, and we did get some lovely pixie dust out of it.

If you feel that your issue hasn't been correctly dealt with, go back and ask for an issues form to fill in (but don't spend ages in there, you've got family rides to go on and memories to make ).
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 17, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

I always thought they were meant to cap the number of DAS visitors at meet and greets.

Agree with Sammy. I'd go back and fill in the form and leave it at that. They say it's always best to log any issues at the time. But just be aware that there can be long queues at City Hall so try and time it when it's quiet so you aren't wasting too much time.

I hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly and you enjoy it.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 17, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

I would certainly to back and fill out a complaint form. We are entitled to a das card and we got one last time but never needed to use it. I certainly wouldn't dream of using it for a meet and greet.
Hope you don't have any issues the rest of your trip.
Old 17 Apr 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanks for the responses. The lady did give me the form to fill in, but I was pushed for time, one daughter in tow who didn't look too thrilled to be hanging around in there, so just pushed it back across the counter and said forget it. That was the reason for the thread. I had reasoned that if the lady had already spent 5 mins calling this head of characters and had no joy, then what would a paper based complaint achieve?

I thought her suggestion of a quick remedy was spot on, the kids would love to see Mickey.

In fact the meet and greet was right outside Mickey's meet and greet which showed a 50 mins wait, so we declined and went for the quicker Alice one. That sums it up, we waited over 50 mins, but not at any point did the attendant say "hmm think this could be a long one" in fact it was the opposite, we asked and were given misinformation. It maybe asking a lot but I do think those attendants need to try and manage expectation where there isn't a board showing wait times. The whole point of those boards so people can make a judgement. I don't begrudge those with medical conditions getting faster access at all, I think it's a great part of what Disney do, but something wasn't right on this occasion - there were far too many.

I am really surprised by the amount of repeat visitors, there are some undoubted highs to be had during your visit, and I'm ok with accepting there is a fair amount of queues to negotiate, but what I've seen in a fair few instances over the last 3 days are things can should be done better.

I think people tend to forget the bad stuff when they return, which is good really, but in terms of advising people coming for the first time, I think it's fair they get a really honest account of how bad the experience can and will be.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 17, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

We don't have kids so can't comment on that but, I have only experienced anything similar to your issue a couple of times in 10 visits. Admittedly we go off season. I would have written it down anyway. The CM at City Hall was great but the other guy was not. I agree expectations could have been managed better, that should be your angle.

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 17, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Character queues are always long at DLP anyway, the characters spend a lot more time with people than the quick 'hug and pose' you get at WDW. I suspect that is why you didn't get much response - long waits are the norm, and breaks have to happen - it just means you are first in the queue when they come back!

I have never seen a board showing waiting times for a character meet, either in DLP or WDW. It would be almost impossible to guess.

We rarely bother queuing for meets, just go during EMH or get a character meal.

You are there at one of the busiest times of year so I would expect queues to be crazy anyway. Would never in a million years go at Easter as the whole of Europe is off at the same time. Better to avoid French and Spanish holidays and all weekends.

I never wait longer than 20 min for anything as a rule. If yo go midweek, avoid the busiest times, use Fastpasses and get there dead on 8am for EMH, it's perfectly possible to do everything with minimal waits.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14

Edited at 11:13 PM.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 17, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

The reason I write to give feedback on issues, including at DLP, is so its lodged. Verbally this isn't the case and doesn't, I feel, have the same weight.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 17, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ted74 View Post
Thanks for the responses. The lady did give me the form to fill in, but I was pushed for time, one daughter in tow who didn't look too thrilled to be hanging around in there, so just pushed it back across the counter and said forget it. That was the reason for the thread. I had reasoned that if the lady had already spent 5 mins calling this head of characters and had no joy, then what would a paper based complaint achieve?

I thought her suggestion of a quick remedy was spot on, the kids would love to see Mickey.

In fact the meet and greet was right outside Mickey's meet and greet which showed a 50 mins wait, so we declined and went for the quicker Alice one. That sums it up, we waited over 50 mins, but not at any point did the attendant say "hmm think this could be a long one" in fact it was the opposite, we asked and were given misinformation. It maybe asking a lot but I do think those attendants need to try and manage expectation where there isn't a board showing wait times. The whole point of those boards so people can make a judgement. I don't begrudge those with medical conditions getting faster access at all, I think it's a great part of what Disney do, but something wasn't right on this occasion - there were far too many.

I am really surprised by the amount of repeat visitors, there are some undoubted highs to be had during your visit, and I'm ok with accepting there is a fair amount of queues to negotiate, but what I've seen in a fair few instances over the last 3 days are things can should be done better.

I think people tend to forget the bad stuff when they return, which is good really, but in terms of advising people coming for the first time, I think it's fair they get a really honest account of how bad the experience can and will be.
I just wanted to reply on your last couple of paragraphs OP. I have friends who visited DLP (their only time) over Halloween week a few years ago, when the parks were crazy busy and obviously queue lines etc reflected that. They didn't enjoy it and won't go back - and I totally understand that. They didn't feel the magic.
As an adult, I recall one visit in March before an anniversary year when the castle and pirate ship were covered in hoarding and tarpaulin, half of fantasyland was out of commission as they were re-laying the flooring there, and the parade route was cut by over half because of it too. If that had been my first visit to DLP, it would probably have been my last (although my girls, similar ages then to your girls now, didn't notice any of that and had a fabulous time).
I'll be honest - you didn't choose a great first time to go. Weekends are crazy at DLP, and I try to avoid them. French school holidays always make the parks busier too.

Your experiences are your experiences, they will affect how you feel about your trip, as they should. Not everyone who goes to DLP feels a repeat pull to return (although you're right, a lot of us do).
Old 18 Apr 17, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Tubbsy
Very Serious Dibber

We had an issue a few years ago. It was our 5th visit so was shocked by the CMs attitude. I did the same as you and was annoyed with myself for not pushing it further. But I did go back later and drop Thank you's for CMs who did make our day and did fill in the form to complain . City Hall said they couldn't do much as it was a day later but I was happier I did it.

My son has used a disability card when we have gone in the past and there was always a limit on how many there were for meet n greets. The idea of the card is to help not completely take over the holiday. So I am annoyed for you. DS now queues and we see it ... manipulated... a lot at the Merlin parks. Winds me up! And it gives everyone else a bad impression of those who do need the card.
I am really hoping you can add some good memories to your holiday.
Tubbsy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List