Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 18 Apr 17, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

A few posters seem to have missed the point, a bit like Disney!

Yes, we knew it would be busy and we've planned and looked for opportunities accordingly.

The 50 mins to see Mickey we turned down and instead saw the small queue at 1:05pm for the 1:15 Alice meet and went for it.

Can anyone honestly say they would see a queue of 7 or 8 families taking 55 mins to get to the front and then not be slightly annoyed if the characters then disappeared?

The attitude of Disney does seem to be "its busy, get on with it" when I believe for a brand of that nature they should be looking to exceed expectations and look for the small things that help customers out during what will be a tougher trip with the crowds. I've witnessed a lot of the "cast members" just doing a 6/10 bang average job. You certainly notice the ones going the extra mile, interacting with the kids when in queues, looking to fill small gaps on rides to get the queues through asap... but not everyone is doing that.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 17, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Mobile

We had this issue at Christmas. We waited an hour before the meeting and greeting opened as we wanted the picture with mickey and Minnie together. We were the 6th family in the queue. It took us 1hr 30 mins to see the characters. So many families had those medical cards at least 20. It ruined my experience.

I have no issue with people who need assistance getting it but it needs to be better managed
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 17, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Tubbsy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ted74 View Post
A few posters seem to have missed the point, a bit like Disney!

Yes, we knew it would be busy and we've planned and looked for opportunities accordingly.

The 50 mins to see Mickey we turned down and instead saw the small queue at 1:05pm for the 1:15 Alice meet and went for it.

Can anyone honestly say they would see a queue of 7 or 8 families taking 55 mins to get to the front and then not be slightly annoyed if the characters then disappeared?

The attitude of Disney does seem to be "its busy, get on with it" when I believe for a brand of that nature they should be looking to exceed expectations and look for the small things that help customers out during what will be a tougher trip with the crowds. I've witnessed a lot of the "cast members" just doing a 6/10 bang average job. You certainly notice the ones going the extra mile, interacting with the kids when in queues, looking to fill small gaps on rides to get the queues through asap... but not everyone is doing that.
Definitely. It's not a cheap holiday.
We are expected to believe in a brand and when a CM - or in your case quite a few CMs do not meet that, then you don't expect a senior CM just to brush off what you are saying. They're not even reaching the 6 out of 10.
Tubbsy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 17, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Tubbsy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by MissVincent View Post
We had this issue at Christmas. We waited an hour before the meeting and greeting opened as we wanted the picture with mickey and Minnie together. We were the 6th family in the queue. It took us 1hr 30 mins to see the characters. So many families had those medical cards at least 20. It ruined my experience.

I have no issue with people who need assistance getting it but it needs to be better managed
Chessington are beginning to get it right I think. Mbe Disney could talk to them
Tubbsy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 17, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

As a previous poster says, I was sure they have to limit the number of DAS per meet, or alternate them, or that's unfair if the main queue is at a stand still for 50 minutes.

I would return and fill out the form and I'd also ask for the policy on accepting the number of DAS cards when there's a huge queue. Clearly those cards are great but there needs to be a balance.

Can't say I've ever noticed it in visiting over 10 years but then the way meets have changed over the last few years to a more orderly queue. It was a scrum for many years for quite a few of the meets!

Edited at 11:20 AM.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Tubbsy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Oh yes! D'd got smacked by a woman in the face trying to push past to see Jack Sparrow!
That was 7 years ago.and I have a photo somewhere of some random persons hand patting Pooh Bear on the head when my son was meeting him.

Still, OK has a point. There's obviously CMs out there who really do not have that special pixie dust.
Will it change when/if TWDC buy up the shares I wonder
Old 18 Apr 17, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tubbsy View Post
Oh yes! D'd got smacked by a woman in the face trying to push past to see Jack Sparrow!
That was 7 years ago.and I have a photo somewhere of some random persons hand patting Pooh Bear on the head when my son was meeting him.

Still, OK has a point. There's obviously CMs out there who really do not have that special pixie dust.
I hear what you are saying but we found similar CMs at WDW. So not sure TWDC will make a difference in that respect! Someone on the General Chat has just come back from the West Coast and said there were some awful CMs at DL too! And people agreed with her. Gone are the days, for some, where working for Disney was an honour - many see it as just a job and dare I say, some don't even seem that bothered about all things Disney. They aren't on holiday and looking for the Magic, they're just picking up their pay check 😬. This clearly happens in more than one of the Parks - but thankfully is rare. So I think singling out DLP for this isn't quite correct.

I hope you manage to enjoy the rest of your trip. You're there at a very special time! But, as a result, it's clearly very busy! I have friends there right now and they are loving it!
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 17, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tubbsy View Post

I, d be very surprised if the 'it's busy deal with it' attitude the Op talks of will change at all with TWDC getting more involved. It's a major peeve of regular visitors to WDW nowadays too, you only have to pop over to the florida forums to see that.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 17, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn321
Very Serious Dibber

We where really annoyed by the character queues, like everyone else says, it doesnt seem to matter how short the line is you wait forever. We gave up after the 2nd day. There seemed to be no one helping organise anything, we got very irate at families all taking every combination of children, children and parents, children and grand parents etc, who then had to do the whole routine again with each members individual camera!

It was literally every single character just took forever.
martyn321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 17, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by martyn321 View Post
We where really annoyed by the character queues, like everyone else says, it doesnt seem to matter how short the line is you wait forever. We gave up after the 2nd day. There seemed to be no one helping organise anything, we got very irate at families all taking every combination of children, children and parents, children and grand parents etc, who then had to do the whole routine again with each members individual camera!

It was literally every single character just took forever.
DLP can't win - form an orderly queue and people whine at the wait. Don't form a queue and its dog eat dog with people getting physically hurt at times. They had people complaining for years that they wanted orderly queues - they've brought them in and now it takes ages (in peak season)...

The other option is to do what they do at WDW and make meets less interactive, with less time spent with each family. Again though, that's not going to please people!

I'm actually pleased they've got more meets now - for a while you were lucky to see 2-3 characters a day. They've listened, brought more in and in a more orderly manner!

Appreciate it's not nice queuing for hours though. Where possible we use EMH, or character meals, or simply give up time and get in line super early to be at or near the front.

DLP has just celebrated its official 25th birthday and it's Easter holidays - it was never going to be a quiet time to go. As much as I felt a pang when I saw the birthday parade, I'd rather go when it's a little quieter. This is why we chose May half term rather than Easter this year.