Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Feb 09, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
kaydee
Apprentice Imagineer

Never been to DLP but after our holiday last year at WDW we were desperate to go back and thinking it would be too much I suggested going to DLP instead. When we priced it up it really wasn't that much more to go to Florida for 2 weeks as opposed to maybe 5 days at DLP. So we drew our horns in and went for Florida!

Its not just Disney that we enjoyed it was everything else as well. I'm a carer for my disabled mother, who lives with us, so I have to arrange respite care for us to go away and its the only time we get to spend just the four of us as a family. I really enjoyed Florida (our first holiday in 3 years ) and felt it was the one place I've been that all of us could do the same thing at the same time and have fun doing so.
We have been to Paris (long before DLP and kids!) many years ago and my husband and I loved it.
Unfortunately apart from DLP it just wouldn't appeal as much to my kids as us! After a few days we would have done everything we wanted to do...unlike Florida where there was loads for us to everyday for 2 weeks.
Don't think its snobbery... its is value for money.
kaydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by SC-owls View Post
Going to a bit controversial here, i get the feeling there's people on this forum who turn their nose's up at the thought of going to dlp, as though there's only one Disney. Ive read many people's replies about their thoughts on dlp and most of them are so dismissive of the place even if they've never been.Ive done both, and enjoyed them both, but for me going to Florida is not just about wdw and i think people mistake the whole Florida experience and try and compare that to dlp. Plus the last time i compared the prices £6000 approx wdw-£1500 approx dlp.Thoughts anyone ?
I do think DLRP gets a raw deal simply because it doesn't compare to WDW. I have been to WDW 6 times so far and DLRP 3 times and I have loved each and every trip.
I just don't compare the two, I don't think thats fair. There are things I prefer in Florida and things I prefer in Paris. For us its a different experience. We like to go to Florida for the hot weather and also like to go to DLRP when its colder(February time) as its a different experience for us then.

Some of the rides for me are superior in DLRP but I prefer the whole package that Florida offers. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy DLRP.
This year was the first time in 4 years that we haven't made it to Paris, we usually go in the Feb half term but my son had to have an operation so we couldn't go. We were all disappointed as we have such a good time when we are there.

I do think that sometimes people go expecting not to like it and so they are then looking for anything that will confirm that. Before we went the first time we researched it. We knew the character meets weren't organised properly, we knew we would encounter smoking in the parks and we knew the CMs didn't have the same "have a nice day" image. I went expecting all those things and therefore I wasn't bothered by it, it certainly didn't spoil our trips. We have always found the CMs to be very pleasant and good with the children.

I feel a little like I'm waffling now so to sum up, we love them both. DLRP for a quick Disney fix(never paid more than £500 for 5 days including park tickets), and Florida for a more all round holiday.

Oh just to add, we visited DLRP after we had already been to WDW and wasn't disappointed at all.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Its not just the holiday price at DLP that is off putting. With current exchange rates the cost of food is monsterous! My mates just come back and was paying £15 for a burger!

Our Florida holiday this year for 2 weeks including Disney Moderate, flights, 14 day passes and full table dining plan is £3,200 for a family of 4.

You wouldn't get long in DLP for that!
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post

We went to DLP when the boys were younger and it was great. I definatley wouldnt rule out going again. Only thing I will say is when we were there, there was very little atmospere and it cost us lots £££ for 4 nights.
We didnt see many characters when we was there and the french were very rude!
Having said that it is closer, the boys enjoyed it, the hotel was nice.
Also i ate at the Rainforest cafe on the 2nd night and ended up not being able to go into the park at all on the 3rd day as i had sickness and runny bum.

Actually in all honesty I probably wouldnt go back!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I really want to try DLP one day but I'll be honest the reason I keep 'picking' WDW over DLP is the fact I love all things American but I will get to DLP one day!

TBH I also think there is snobbery re. WDW amongst people who have never been, I get it all the time at work
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Katie C
Imagineer

I actually have to agree, I think can be a bit snobby about DLP on here- but be fair, its predominantly a WDW site so thats the approach people take. I've been to both and I love both. WDW def has more sparkle and fellow patrons area lot nicer, but I think DLP has a whimsy that WDW lacks (again, European vs American)
I think WDW sets a bar with weather and American service than DLP can't hope to meet, so people do turn away from it. Take it in its stride and its a great a short break, I love it and I'm always looknig forward to going back (ans planning my next trip to WDW at the same time!)
Althoughh I'll be honest, if something doesn't meet expectations you do turn against it, I turned against Universal Studios last year when the service was bad and the queus horrendous, just goes to show we can all be prone to judging things by our own standards!
Katie C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Leanne1977 View Post

I feel a little like I'm waffling now so to sum up, we love them both. DLRP for a quick Disney fix(never paid more than £500 for 5 days including park tickets), and Florida for a more all round holiday.
Same here, I wouldn't go to Paris instead of Orlando however I do like to fit both in during the year as they both offer completely different experiences. We did 3nights at Paris for £350 including tickets and flights and that was staying onsite.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Redriva
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
It's not snobbery with us. Florida and WDW is our main holiday. There is no way I would consider DLP as a main holiday. Also getting to DLP from the north west is, for us, a definite no-no. Not worth either the cost or the hassle. I would rather save the money for something else.
agree with this florida is a 2 week holiday DLP would be a few days at most unless you like doing the same stuff again and again.. I did price this up for this spring/summer but was totally shocked at the total I have to say that DLP does look good but the cost for just a few days, when you cant rely on the weather and have to put up with the smoking etc, plus, as mentioned, the hassle and cost of getting there if you dont live in the south of England, just seems really silly to me If I couldnt afford florida and i really really wanted to go then i would be willing to have another look, but tbh having now been to WDW (and going to DL this summer) I would be scared that we would all just compare it too much and that DLP wouldnt come up looking so good

florida is definetly about the whole "package" and really cant be compared to even DL let alone DLP as they make up just a part of most peoples holidays..
Old 26 Feb 09, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ReadyToBurst
Excited about Disney

For me they are 2 different experiences that can't be compared.

I love Florida and I love DLP for different reasons.

I like the fact Paris is close and can get a quick Disney fix.

I think some people judge it too quickly but it's not that bad a place, I enjoy my time there and take it for what it is.

However the prices seem to have rocketed and now Florida seems the better value for money.
WDW: Aug 1995 All Star Sports / Aug 1997 I Drive / Sept 2008 POFQ / Sept 2009 Beach Club DLP: May 2002 Santa Fe / Dec 02,03,04,05,06, 09, Jun 10 and Feb 13 Sequioa Lodge / Dec 10 Disneyland Hotel Disney Cruise: Sept 2010, July 2011 / June 2013 Disney Magic - Med, first trip without mum
ReadyToBurst is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
LisaH
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 51
The first time we had any experience of Disney was in Paris in early December. It was with a trip from my husbands work and we went by coach & Euro tunnel. (just stayed 2 nights)

My children were about 6 & 8 at the time and we didn't tell them anything about the break until the 5am on the Sunday morning.
I can honestly say it was the best few days of my life even with all the travelling. It is a time I will never forget & the happy memories will stay with me forever There is nothing more special than seeing your children's faces light up with excitement !

I do love Florida and if given a choice would always choose there first, but if you haven't got the money for the US or if you are just thinking of a few of days away I would recommend it to everyone. (although I must admit I found everything very expensive)

Mickey is Mickey to a child wherever in the world you are lucky enough to meet him

Lisa x
LisaH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread