Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Feb 09, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Brookeabel
VIP Dibber

We love DLP and WDW equally believe it or not. To us there totaly different holidays. Mainly because we always go to DLP at Christmas - love the fake snow, getting wrapped up with a hot choccie watching the parades. It a lovely break and at a much slower pace. We always stop at Sequoia Lodge which is so christmasy with its log fire . WDW is an amazing summer holiday, hectic but worth every minute. Personally I couldn't go to WDW at christmas or DLP in summer just because thats how we serperate and enjoy the two .

Ps Also weve always been made to feel welcome by the french at DLP even tough some may not agree.

Mum of 3, Wife & Disney Bride To Lee! We Everything Disney!
Our WDW Wedding - The Pre Trippie
Dreams Really Do Come True 09 Trip Report
Hawthorn Suites 2003
Sequoia Lodge DLP 2005 & 2006
All Star Movies 2007
All Star Movies 2009 - The Wedding!
Sequoia Lodge DLP 2012
Art Of Animation 2015
ALL STAR MOVIES 2024 - The Countdown Begins!
Brookeabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
elliemay
Imagineer

Its not that I dismiss DLP its that I dismiss france completely, it just not my cup of tea, & I just think Mickey Mouse & Donald cant have a french accent
Old 26 Feb 09, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We have been to dlp twice, and I throughly enjoyed both trips. Last time was in August and it was red hot and compared very favourably to Florida. Its definitely a Disney only break though, we don't explore France, just go and 'do' Disney.

if we could get to Paris for a reasonable price, then I think we would go quite often but unfortunately flights from Newcastle are just too expensive so it doesn't work out as a cost-effective break.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
lindylou2_2002
Imagineer

lindylou2_2002's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We love going to DLP as a short break, disney fix type thing, have been more than 10 times. I know that the french are rude and dont expect them to be anything other so am not let down in my expectations of them.
Will keep going to both

Sept 2001 Westridge,
Sept 2004 Hampton Lakes,
May 2006 West Stonebridge
Aug 2009 Silver Creek
July30-Aug7 2010 DCL Med Repo Cruise
Aug 2011 DLC Magic Med Cruise
Aug 2012 New York trip + a little DCL Disney MAGIC
August 2013 Villa plus cruise
Oct 2013 Reimagined Magic 5 day cruise
DLP Too many visits to count.
lindylou2_2002 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
justus2again
Imagineer

I have been to dlp twice once on my own with my son and once with my hubby we did a romantic weekend in paris and decided we would rather do disney lol enjoyed it but now there is just the 2 of us we love the shopping, weather, parks, food, the villa and the pool and all florida offers I think they are both different holidays and it is personal choice neither should be knocked each to there own so long as you have a wonderful time does it matter xx
2005 southern dunes 2007 legacy park 2007 southern dunes 2008 lake Wilson 2009 southern dunes 2010 Hampton lakes 2011 greater groves 2012 Windsor palms 2013 southern dunes 2014 vista park 2015 villa Lindfields 2016 west haven villa 2017 acorn villa 2018 villa silver creek 2019 champions gate 2020 2021 the years of no go 2022 all booked for this year
justus2again is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 09, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
GeriO
Imagineer

I love Disney, but can't afford Florida having been last year, so my quick trip to DLP is a godsend and will stop me going insane with withdrawal symptoms.
Old 27 Feb 09, 02:48 AM  
Link to this Post
pjmendip
Trading Disney Pins

We are regular visitors to both DLP (our 5th trip coming up in April 09) and Central Florida (our 5th trip there was in April 08). I suppose having visited France a lot before DLP opened we had realistic expectations about how things would be done there so were unlikely to be dissapointed. What we like about Central Florida is the climate, the wildlife and the seemingly endless entertainment opportunities. What we like about DLP is the ease with which you can mix Disney magic with fantastic Parisienne culture. Both different and both very good - in our opinion.

John
pjmendip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 09, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I haven't been to WDW yet (saving up for a big holiday in 2010). However, I've been to DLP for two day trips and one 2-night stay.

I love going to Paris itself. I love hearing and seeing the French language around me, and soaking up the atmosphere. I haven't had any problems with French people being rude - yes, they are not as outgoing as Americans, but much more reserved.

This probably explains why I don't have any problem with DLP being full of French people who behave like French people! And hearing and seeing Disney characters speaking French is all part of the fun. Then again, I'm the sort of person who turns on the 'other languages' options on their DVDs often, to practice my French/German, so it doesn't seem strange to me. One of the things we love to do when visiting foreign countries is watch familiar programmes in that country's language (Teletubbies in French was fun!) so the language aspect is a plus for me.

We've never noticed anyone smoking, but then we've only been on weekdays during term time, as we don't have children. Perhaps it depends on when you go.

I know we haven't visited WDW yet so we can't compare. But surely if you go to a park in France, you expect it to feel French, not American?

By the way, the best way to get round the cost of food is to buy the half-board vouchers before you go. They are incredible value. We had the premium ones for £31, which got us Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, and also would have coveredthe set menu at the amazing California Grill. (But we're foodies so we upgraded to the incredible 7-course tasting menu. There are some good things about Paris, and food is one of them!)

We're considering going again. If we can save up a couple of hundred air miles with Tesco we can have 2 free Eurostar journeys, which get you to right outside the parks in just over 2 hours. Then we can look for an offer with DLP (currently they're offering 40% off, which is great) and go midweek in term time again, when it's quiet.

Re the attitude of CMs. We had great service from the guy on the desk at Sequoia Lodge, who literally ran after us with an early breakfast reservation we'd asked for but which was initially unavailable.

Other CMs were fine - not smiley and effusive, but I wouldn't expect that in a French theme park, that's a very American thing. I wouldn't expect someone in my local McDonald's gushing over me and wishing me a nice day either. We just don't do that sort of thing!

I read somewhere that American CMs work FOR Disney, European CMs work AT Disney - that's the difference in approach. Provided they have been helpful, I don't see a problem.

Can't comment on the character meets, as we don't have kids so this wasn't a big thing for us. I did get to cuddle Captain Jack Sparrow and Peter linked arms with Esmeralda - oh, and I got hugged by Mickey in Sequoia Lodge. Again, perhaps because I don't have experience of the way it works in WDW, it's not something I can really comment on.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 09, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post

personally for me, I have priced up DLP and was really expensive for 3 days. Plus as someone else mentioned, the weather in Orlando swings it for me.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 09, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Wouldn't be the first time people thought me a snob because its a well known fact I love nice things ( as Elton would say ).

DLP just wouldn't do it for me, my Disney dream was always Florida
and always will be, Paris and Disney just doesn't gel for me, nor Japan etc. These countries mean different things to me and have special qualities but Mickey Mouse not for me.

Having said that I wouldn't talk people down for enjoying it themselves
nor expect them to think me snobby for preferring Florida.

When I have priced it up DLP £ for £ and day for day two weeks holidays would be extortionate.

Each to their own, my magic remains in Florida.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread