Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Nov 10, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post

We've been to dlp 3 times and wdw 5 times and they are 2 totally different animals. You can have a great time at both but don't try to compare.

DLP, in my opinion, is a short term break whereas WDW is far greater in what it offers. That said, dlp does have Paris a short train ride away and that's something that Florida will never be able to compete with.

My biggest gripe with dlp is the, apparent, lack of organization and the general rudeness of Europeans. The first time we went to dlp I think my kids were quite intimidated by the fact they had to fight to get to meet characters. Though it was funny when one Spanish kid crept behind Tigger and tied his tail to a fence.

I like the US. I like the level of service you generally get and the fact that most people talk to you with a smile. I will happily holiday in the US in the coming years. Having said that I wouldn't think twice about
going back to dlp.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 10, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post

well i hope you all enjoy it, im off to wdw for quality.
Old 15 Nov 10, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
aydeepee
VIP Dibber

aydeepee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 11

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by ROO View Post
Have to say we have been to DLP twice & we have been disapointed twice.
We, like you thought people were rude, hated people walking about smoking or standing in queues smoking ! Food was very expensive & not always that great imho.
We would not go back as it is just so expensive & if you have been to WDW then you can't help but compare.
Sorry you didn't have a good holiday.x
I couldnt have put it better myself - ALL my thoughts entirely!

No matter how hard u try - you cannot help but compare it to Orlando.

The bottom line is that the parks themselves are Disney but the hosts simply cannot do good customer service and cannot appreciate 'what good looks like' - hence the smoking, rudeness and expense.

We stayed at the Sequoa Lodge and some of the stadff were downright offensive!

1993 - I-Drive & Clearwater * 1996 - I-Drive * 2006 - DLP * 2007 - I-Drive * 2008 - I-Drive & RPR * 2009 - I-Drive & RPR (again!) * 2011 - RPR * 2013 - RPR & Beach Club Resort * 2014 - RPR & Beach Club Resort * 2016 - RPR & Beach Club...again (Greatest Hits Tour!) * Sept 2019 - Silver Wedding Anniversary - Capes and Parks Tour * Sept 2022 - Cape, Beach & Parks + IAN! * Sept 2024 - hoping to avoid Ian v2 *
aydeepee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 10, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by aydeepee View Post
I couldnt have put it better myself - ALL my thoughts entirely!

No matter how hard u try - you cannot help but compare it to Orlando.

The bottom line is that the parks themselves are Disney but the hosts simply cannot do good customer service and cannot appreciate 'what good looks like' - hence the smoking, rudeness and expense.

We stayed at the Sequoa Lodge and some of the stadff were downright offensive!
Is it really that hard to visit somewhere with an open mind? I have never thought so

Again, what you're passing comment on is the CULTURE not the parks, yes, the french may come accross rude, it's their culture, this should be a given before you even enter the country!
As for the expense, all Disney parks are expensive... i think some people on this thread are just trying to use it as another negative towards DLP and are forgetting that DLP seems more expensive because of the poor exchange rate, not because DLP is just more expensive than any other park.
Old 15 Nov 10, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaFabry
Proud to wear my Ears

DonnaFabry's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by SJEH :0) View Post
As for the expense, all Disney parks are expensive... i think some people on this thread are just trying to use it as another negative towards DLP and are forgetting that DLP seems more expensive because of the poor exchange rate, not because DLP is just more expensive than any other park.
I agree with this. Everyone I speak to says this. The exchange rate really does not help the cost of food etc. You always get expensive and poor quality food in theme parks even in the UK

Donna
DonnaFabry is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 10, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
aydeepee
VIP Dibber

aydeepee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 11

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by SJEH :0) View Post
Is it really that hard to visit somewhere with an open mind? I have never thought so

Again, what you're passing comment on is the CULTURE not the parks, yes, the french may come accross rude, it's their culture, this should be a given before you even enter the country!
My comments were mainly re the quality of service and, yes, a level of expectancy re the Disney ethic that encapsulates service.

I can visit places with an open mind but I have to re-iterate that my experience was poor and yes, on this site, you cant help but compare DLP to Orlando (just as you would Universal California to Universal Orlando) - partricularly when you have a poor experience.

1993 - I-Drive & Clearwater * 1996 - I-Drive * 2006 - DLP * 2007 - I-Drive * 2008 - I-Drive & RPR * 2009 - I-Drive & RPR (again!) * 2011 - RPR * 2013 - RPR & Beach Club Resort * 2014 - RPR & Beach Club Resort * 2016 - RPR & Beach Club...again (Greatest Hits Tour!) * Sept 2019 - Silver Wedding Anniversary - Capes and Parks Tour * Sept 2022 - Cape, Beach & Parks + IAN! * Sept 2024 - hoping to avoid Ian v2 *
aydeepee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 10, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
It's a holiday in France. When I go to France I expect the same kind of customer service I get anywhere else in France. If I go to McDonald's in London I don't expect US style customer service just because it's an American company.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 10, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsWDW
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sarahb74 View Post
I always read these DLP v WDW threads with interest, but have never posted as I've not been to WDW. We have just booked our 4th trip to DLP and can honestly say I've never experienced any rudeness, dirtiness, lack of customer service etc. I've seen a couple of people smoking, but we holiday regularly in France and that's the way it is (unfortunately) but its never spoilt my enjoyment or been a particular problem, even though my son is asthmatic and I really hate smoking.

Sarah
I've never experienced rudeness etc either... in 8 visits. Last visit was 2007 so either I was lucky, or it's changed drastically.
MrsWDW is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 10, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
If I go to McDonald's in London I don't expect US style customer service just because it's an American company.
No and you wont get english customer service either, there wasnt an english person serving last week and the woman couldnt understand my order as her english wasnt good.

I think anywhere you go good customer service is so very important.

So many negative reports about DLP with smoking,rudeness,ect alot of people keep saying the same thing so is it that bad ? i am now wondering why i have booked to go.
Old 15 Nov 10, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
I have holidayed in France many times and have found French people perfectly friendly just not as "in your face" as the Americans.

However I did find the staff at DLP were basically ruder than any other staff I have met anywhere in the country. There almost seems to be an anti-English culture, particularly with some of the character meets that shouldn't be tolerated as it can spoil a childs trip to feel ignored by their favourite character.

My french isn't excellent but I do always try to speak as much as I can so it isn't that I expect everyone to fall over backwards to accomodate my language although I believe most CMs can speak English.

DLP is a great theme park and I love theme parks so may well visit again one day if I can get it cheap enough. However it doesn't hold the Magic for me that WDW has. This may be because WDW was my first experience of Disney and I expected to hate it but fell in love with the place.

I must say on our trip it was the spanish who were guilty of the most pushing and smoking as we managed to visit in their holiday season too.
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread