Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Nov 12, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post

No more DLP for us

After our 3rd visit to DLP we have decided enough is enough. Miserable, rude staff, areas of the park looking run down and shabby and the fact that they allow too many into the parks leading to huge queues have made it a very average experience.
Rides breaking down, people smoking everywhere, queue jumping, awful overpriced food...I could go on.
I've never seen so many stressed out families arguing with each other. It's supposed to be a happy time.
They built this park in the wrong country, the French simply have no idea how to pull off the Disney experience.
It's Florida or California for us from now on, better value and a much better holiday.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 12, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Belle x
Very Serious Dibber

Belle x's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by exiled View Post
After our 3rd visit to DLP we have decided enough is enough. Miserable, rude staff, areas of the park looking run down and shabby and the fact that they allow too many into the parks leading to huge queues have made it a very average experience.
Rides breaking down, people smoking everywhere, queue jumping, awful overpriced food...I could go on.
I've never seen so many stressed out families arguing with each other. It's supposed to be a happy time.
They built this park in the wrong country, the French simply have no idea how to pull off the Disney experience.
It's Florida or California for us from now on, better value and a much better holiday.
I got back on Monday from my 1st visit there and I don't think I'll go again. Everything you have just wrote, I 100% agree with!
It ruined it for us, as we felt it spoilt the 'magic'. There were only 2 of us & the amount of people that pushed in front of us in queues was unbelievable - and after waiting 60 mins for a ride, you don't want people doing that!

We waited 40 mins one day to get a burger & fries!

And the toilets.. These have got to be the worst I've ever seen. There were women holding their scarves over their noses because of the smell.

Next Trip - Pop & Endless Summer - August 2024
Belle x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 12, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
deltakc
Very Serious Dibber

deltakc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Its such a shame that this has ruined your Disney magic You just can't compare Florida and DLP, they are two different worlds.
We have stayed on and off site and although we do see the things you have mentioned we still like to go, we just won't pay the prices to stay in the Disney hotels.

Although I can agree with all the things you have said and I notice these thing, my 8yr old DD doesn't and still thinks that DLP is magical (except for the rat that was on the grass behind us on our last visit). As we don't stay in any of the Disney hotels we don't have to get those horrendous buses and we have other options for dinner so don't have to eat at the parks!

They are obviously losing money and don't have as much to spend but there are still plenty of people who go and put up with these things. Disney need to take control of this park properly and get all of these issues sorted or they will end up having to close DLP.
Stouffer's Hotel WDW Aug 93; Regal Palms WDW Jun08; Marriott Cypress Harbour WDW Jul 09; Marriott Imperial Palms WDW Jun 10; Marriott Grand Vista WDW Jul 11; Marriott Royal Palms / Regal Palms WDW Jul 12; Marriott Grand Vista/Regal Palms Jul 13; Highlands Reserve Villa Jun / Jul 14; Marriott Harbour Lakes Jun / July 2015; Marriott Royal Palms July 16
deltakc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 12, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your trip and you are perfectly entitled to not return.
For us there is no way we can afford to get to the US and for us DLP is magical, my DH definitely prefers DLP, we are more relaxed when we are there than in WDW, we do it on a budget and we do stay onsite most of the time so I don't feel the same pressure as it hasn't cost us a small fortune (we have 4 nights/5days at Cheyenne next March for a family of 5, for £390 including park tickets, travel will be about £220 including fuel/tolls/eurotunnel).

Although I am not a huge fan of the 'French' as a nation, I think it is unfair of you to suggest it is down to them not knowing how to pull off the Disney experience, I think it is far more to do with the visitors to the park than the host country. We are in Europe, wherever the park was in Europe they would have the same issues to deal with.

We have NEVER come across a rude CM at DLP, ever, despite some of the idiots we have seen them having to contend with and dealing with multiple languages. It isn't the gushing US style of customer service, but we're not in the US.

I think the park is looking great, not run down or shabby at all. Admittedly the sun was shining when we were there last week which helps make things look brighter, but lots of areas have been repainted recently and the landscaping is lovely. There are 2 areas that annoy me and need sorting, in Videopolis and in the Dumbo queue where there should be plants, but they can't grow as they are undercover, so they need to put fake plants in or change it completely.

We have more problems with smoking in UK attractions than in DLP, I do notice the smoking sometimes at DLP but this would be the same anywhere in Europe.

Queue jumping happens, we just make ourselves 'wider' and laugh about it, getting stressed about it is what spoils the holiday for us.

I see more stressed out overtired families in WDW than in DLP, ourselves included.

The toilets are clean, but there is a smell in them as they use recycled water in the toilet cisterns, it is more environmentally friendly as there is no need to waste drinking quality water on flushing toilets.

I agree much of the counter service food is expensive, there are some better value options to be had though if you know where to go. However, again no better or worse than in UK theme parks, I paid a small fortune for a hotdog at Warwick Castle last week for DD. However, on the whole the buffets at DLP offer good value and in some cases some great food. Even in WDW the food inside the parks is more expensive than outside and that's just the way it is. Even staying onsite I rarely eat in the Disney hotels, you can eat wherever you want.

Most ride 'breakdowns' are not actually breakdowns, they are to do with customers not following rules and slowing down the boarding process, to the point where the ride has to be stopped, some rides take a while to restart for safety reasons.

We have never queued more than an hour for a ride at DLP, this week is definitely a peak week at DLP due to French schools on holiday at the same time as some of ours, weekends are always busy, but so is WDW at peak times, I am sure they are not letting too many people in the parks.

We love DLP, it has it's faults but not enough to detract from the magic for us.

Edited at 11:32 AM.
Old 2 Nov 12, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Have to agree with this post, we have just returned from our first and only trip to DLP on Wednesday for Halloween, the people ruined the day for us, pushing in front in queues, walking into you and then looking at you as though you are in the wrong or shouting at you, we thought the day in the park was bad but nothing compared to the evening Halloween party.

At 8:15 we went to the area behind the castle to meet the Villains, the area was fairly busy and more and more people packed into that small area until 8:30 when the characters came out, this started what can only be described as a mob of people surging towards the characters to get photos, the 10 and 9 year olds we had with us were crushed amongst this and pushed out the way, even by a CM ! How Disney allow this to happen is beyond me when you compare how organised character meets are in Florida. After this we avoided the busy areas. The parade and Dreams were really good but again spoilt by people standing in front of you or pushing in to get closer and when asked if they could move looked at you like you are mad.

Never again, would rather save and go to Florida once every 2 or 3 years, so much better in every way.
Old 2 Nov 12, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
aydeepee
VIP Dibber

aydeepee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 11

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 7
We had a similar experience a few yrs ago and will not return.

The parks were okay but I did feel 'spoilt' by having already been to Florida a few times so it was impossible not to draw comparisons - and in doing so DLP would always be inferior.

I just felt, on the whole, that they just couldnt do the customer service/experience very well at all - and at times were downright offhand and rude - which naturally affects the 'magic'.

As a visitor I just felt 'tolerated' as opposed to 'welcomed'.

1993 - I-Drive & Clearwater * 1996 - I-Drive * 2006 - DLP * 2007 - I-Drive * 2008 - I-Drive & RPR * 2009 - I-Drive & RPR (again!) * 2011 - RPR * 2013 - RPR & Beach Club Resort * 2014 - RPR & Beach Club Resort * 2016 - RPR & Beach Club...again (Greatest Hits Tour!) * Sept 2019 - Silver Wedding Anniversary - Capes and Parks Tour * Sept 2022 - Cape, Beach & Parks + IAN! * Sept 2024 - hoping to avoid Ian v2 *
aydeepee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 12, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Yep, DLP has the rudest CMs I've ever met. WE actually put in an official complaint once, at the way our two year old was spoken to whilst queuing to have a picture taken with Mickey.
Theres a definite lack of Disney spirit thats for sure.
Old 2 Nov 12, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

I agree with every word - we have only been once and that was enough. Plenty of better parks in Europe for a cheaper price and more magic !
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 12, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lindyT
Apprentice Imagineer

I too agree! It isn't just making a comparison with WDW,the fact is (IMO)the parks and hotels leave much to be desired with the running and maintenance! On our last visit (4 years ago now,and against better judgement!) we had the very worst encounter.We -DH,DD,SIL,3 DGD-were walking back to our hotel-Disneyland-and without warning the managment decided to CLOSE Main Street! The very inept CM's were directing! guests to the left of Main Street and eventually through the corridor of quick service cafe's.Anyone who has visited will be able to recall that the aisles are narrow,and obviously full of tables and chairs with people sitting at them!Then imagine HUNDREDS of guests trying to get through,trying to to keep your little ones safe,and the very disgruntled patrons of the food outlets being harassed with the crowds trying to get past!It really was VERY SCARY and the staff were OBLIVIOUS.My SIL/and DH had to pick up our DG's as it was clear that they were not safe at just above knee height! We then had no other option than to be "carried" along with the crowds!We complained bitterly at the resort,who really were not interested. The fact that Main Street was closed was not the problem,the problem was that the staff and management were not equipped to make decisions of this magnitude and keep guest safety paramount in their minds! Sorry to those of you who enjoy DLP,but for our family NEVER AGAIN.
lindyT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 12, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
I've clearly been lucky as I've not experienced any of the above on my visits. But then again I don't go when it's busy, I accept DLP is not WDW, and that it's in France aimed at europeans.

Of course it's difficult not to compare it to WDW but DLP has a completely different audience and it suits those on mainland europe a little more than it does us.

Staff we didn't find rude, just your standard, they don't fawn over you like their wdw counterparts and I think in some respects I'm more comfortable with that.

Smoking I doubt it very rarely mentioned by visitors from france, spain, italy etc. It's the norm over there, in fact we found that in DLP there was a lot LESS smoking than we expected, travel into paris for the day and you'll experience it on a much larger scale.

Food is expensive, but then you're a captive audience and uk themeparks and WDW are no different in that respect. We just notice it a little less in WDW because the exchange rate is better. A little research and you'll find some reasonable meal deals available in the parks, some of which you can share to save even more.

So although a except that som major 'on offs' are likely to put some individuals off for ever, and I'm sorry for that. I don't think it's right to generalise just because it's not done the way us brits like it

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread