Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Nov 12, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Becca Wecca
Excited about Disney

I'm surprised to see so many negative views about DLP. I've not experienced any of these problems, have found all the CM's we came into contact with we're friendly even when there was a language barrier, my boyfriend smokes so that doesn't really affect me seeing people smoke but can understand how it can annoy people. And I've always found the toilets to be clean, never even noticed a smell.

Queue times really do depend on when you go. I've never had people queue jump. And to be fair I think it is much better run than theme parks in the UK. We went to alton towers in half term week and were queuing 2 hours per ride! I've never experienced Disney that bad! And the food is ok, all parks are over priced for counter service food.

I find its ashame those of you didn't find it magical definitely save your pennies for the American Disneys. Everyone needs Disney in their life!
Becca Wecca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 12, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
DISNEYMUM - I agree with your post; and even though we've had many visits to WDW, we still love our trips to DLP and treat them as different types of holiday.
We have never had a problem with CMs as long as we realise that Europeans are not American. 'Have a nice day' isn't in their vocabulary but I do feel that over the years - we've gone since 1998 - the attitude has become more 'Disneyfied'.
I'll be interested to hear how my niece enjoyed her Halloween stay at DLP this week to see if she feels anything has changed.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 12, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Belle x
Very Serious Dibber

Belle x's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by aydeepee View Post
We had a similar experience a few yrs ago and will not return.

The parks were okay but I did feel 'spoilt' by having already been to Florida a few times so it was impossible not to draw comparisons - and in doing so DLP would always be inferior.

I just felt, on the whole, that they just couldnt do the customer service/experience very well at all - and at times were downright offhand and rude - which naturally affects the 'magic'.

As a visitor I just felt 'tolerated' as opposed to 'welcomed'.

I agree with you! I was told before I went to DLP, not to compare it to WDW - which I tried not to. But the lack of customer service, the attitude of other guests & CM's and the cleanliness of the parks/toilets etc .. It was hard not to compare.
I guess I just expected all Disney parks around the world to be fantastic.

One of the worst things that happened to us last week on our trip - We were queuing at Billy Bob's in Disney Village for the buffet. There was a huge queue up a narrow flight of stairs. A CM tried to get up and past everybody with a HUGE tray with about 25 drinks on.. Everyone could see he wasn't going to get past. But instead of saying excuse me, he just carried on, which resulted in all the drinks going flying. Me, my DBF & several families near us got soaked, there was glass everywhere and I had beer in my eyes - which stings!
Not one CM came to see if any of us were okay! This just shocked me.

Next Trip - Pop & Endless Summer - August 2024
Belle x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 12, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
lottie89
Imagineer

I used to be a CM at DLP, and to some extent I agree with the above views - you would be surprised (or maybe not) at the difference between French and English CMs.

They really push the 'magic' backstage, and you are constantly reminded how important it is (we weren't even allowed to remove our character heads until we were in the Character building, in case we ruined the magic for non-character CMs!).

However, there is a mixture of locals working there because it's convenient, and people who have traveled further because they really want to work at Disney. It's usually the locals who just aren't bothered and just sit grumpily in the breakroom counting down the minutes until the end of their shift. I LOVED going to work, more than I liked days off!

It's not just the customer facing CMs either - I was left in tears (wandering round from CM to CM in half a Chip costume which made the whole thing more farcical) by a rude payroll CM backstage who underpaid me and then just gave me a Parisian shrug when I tried to prove it to him, claiming he didn't speak English (he did).

It's a real split. No matter how much you try and instil the 'magic' in people, if they aren't bothered about Disney, they're not going to care. But I suppose to get the shop staff, cleaners, chefs etc on long term contracts, they need to employ people who live in the local area.

Just remember, that as an organisation, the people at top really do love Disney (the casting director was the first DLP Prince Charming, and he's still working there and as enthusiastic as ever) and don't want you to have experiences like that.

It is just a real shame that it's not on the same level as the American parks. Imagine how great it would be if they shipped the staff over from the US!
California ~ 2015
lottie89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 12, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
emmab
Apprentice Imagineer

emmab's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We are here now, I love both, this time I have too say its been the British that have been pushing in, being rude, I had to tell one British women to stop squashing my child, I find the French blunt but that's how they are, it's there way of life. I have felt embaressed to be British on this trip.
Old 2 Nov 12, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I think regarding the pushing and shoving that we forget that in europe its not as requited to queue. As english people we queue without thinking about it. I just go to DLP having warned my family to get your elbows ready and be quick with footing in order to get a photo with characters etc. At the end of the day it won't change so if you can't beat em, join em.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 12, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Apart from comparing it to WDW I think we should compare it to other theme parks. We paid over £300 for our 3 day passes for the 3 of us. I would expect better for that money. At least with Alton towers and many other parks you know it's not going to be perfect but with the always available 2 for 1 offers you get in at a fraction of the price.
I know the whole Disney corp is a money making machine but in DLP it feels more like they are mugging you.
We've been at peak season ( this week ) and find you can't do rides because of excessive queues. When we've been during quieter times we found that some rides were closed. You just can't win.
Old 2 Nov 12, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
petetina
Imagineer

Our son went and from what he said we would never go there and especially after the disability row I dont want to be classed as a second class citizen by the French

sorry just my opinion
2009 sandy ridge
2013 watersong resort
2014 Deep Creek ct Clermont
2017 Thomson allocated on arrival
petetina is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 12, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KFJames
Imagineer

KFJames's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have never been to DLP & have been in 2 minds this year whether or not to book a quick trip, having read the OP thread my mind is made up, I just don't think it would have the magic for us. We like to stay onsite & for how much it would cost, I'd rather spend my hard earned dosh on a holiday I know I will enjoy!
Old 2 Nov 12, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post

For the most part I agree with most of what you say, but you can not blame it on the CMs being French, especially as just over 50% of CMs at DLP aren't actually French, they come from all over the world, not just Europe. The fact that there are so many CMs that are far from the ideal of what a CM should be (imo) is down to the fact that they are all protected by France's very strict working laws, it is nearly impossible to fire anyone, and the negative press, expense and trade union action would cripple DLP in next to no-time. I think the reason why CMs in DLR and WDW are just that cut above the rest is that it is considered the being a CM is not just another job, but a lifestyle (not to mention, its much easier for Disney to fire people in Florida!)
Closed Thread