Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Feb 13, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Happysteveo
Helping Minnie

Got Engaged at DLP last Sunday

Okay, well here is a short write up on how our DLP engagement unfolded as a few people were starting to ask questions!

Planning started a while back, last September. I decided to take us away for a few days to commemorate our 10 year anniversary with the intention of proposing on the day. It was a toss up between going to DLP or Lapland, went for DLP for the magic factor

Me being quite traditionally unromantic and not knowing much about the DLP setup I decided to post a thread on here asking for advice on ideas on what/where I could propose. I created a pseudo username(mickyknight) to remain anonymous to my OH, Lauren(lauz on here) as she is a regular on the forums.

I was really impressed with the ideas people suggested, and went with the idea to propose at the bottom of the stairs at the Disneyland Hotel, where we were staying, using a glass slipper at the bottom of the stairs to hold the ring while waiting for Lauren to come down the stairs. I thought this was the best idea as it was indoors so not weather dependent and well lit so good for taking decent photos

So the next challenge I faced was to acquire a glass slipper! I didn't have a clue about this kind of thing so I went on eBay but most of them were in USA, and there was one on Amazon. I wasn't sure what to go for so I posted a poll for people to vote. I got over 100 votes and in the process a fellow Dibber very very kindly offered to bring me one back from Arribas Bros while she was in FL. I went ahead with that and to top it all off she managed to find me a one off version on display which had "Will You Marry Me" written down the side, fate or what lol.

After that I needed a ring! I decided to continue the Cinderella theme and buy a "novelty" Cinderella Carriage ring from Zentosa, with the idea to use that for the occasion and find a more "long term" ring at a later date. So now I was pretty much good to go.

As we were approaching holiday time I called the hotel to ask if they could help to set up my plan. I spoke to the concierge who asked me to put the request in an email. They replied to say that they couldn't let me propose on the staircase as it would be too busy that day(maybe they misunderstood and thought that I wanted to block off the staircase as well for it), and they suggested that I propose in our room. I didn't think proposing in the room would be special enough to mark the occasion, so I replied and asked if they could advise of any other options, and they then they said they would get back to me once they had spoken to their "special events management". I didn't hear anything after that Anyway, I didn't think it would be that busy around that time of the evening and after receiving encouragement for another Dibber I decided to go ahead with the staircase proposal anyway and play it by ear a bit if necessary.

Also in the meantime another kind Dibber found us a pair of Just Engaged" badges, another great touch!

So we came to Sunday evening, our first day at DLP, I was clock watching while queuing at Star Tours, with the plan of proposing just before we went to Inventions for dinner, but as I expected, dragging Lauren away from the parks with any time to spare before dinner was proving impossible so I went to plan b of proposing after dinner.

After getting fed, we went to the hotel lobby to "take some photos", I told Lauren to wait at the top of the stairs while I went to "get someone to take our photo together". Being slightly vein I decided to take my glasses off for it, and I saw someone who looked like a member of staff, it turned out he was the security guard and wasn't allowed to take pics. Then I went to the receptionist who was so helpful and said she would be delighted to do it. So I filled her in on the plan, she came out with me, I put the ring in the slipper put it on the third/fourth bottom step of the staircase and beckoned Lauren downstairs(by which point she had an idea of what was coming) I said a few words and she said yes!

We then went upstairs, sat on a sofa(one of many) to take it in and for to to spill the beans etc, then it was on to the Fantasia Bar for a toast!

Sorry this wasn't meant to be as long as it has turned out to be ha ha but I just want to say it was really nice to receive so many kind words from people on here via the threads that I posted, and special thanks to welovemushu and Tabz who helped make it happen, and everyone who had ideas for the proposal and everyone who voted on the glass slipper poll!

A bientot

Edited at 04:49 PM. Reason: photos
Happysteveo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 13, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post

What lovely thoughtful way to propose. You sound like a keeper! Lauren must be over the moon. Congratulations
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 13, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
chaffey
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Many congratulations and Glad it all went well and Lauren said yes.

do we get to see any pictures? please
chaffey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 13, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
jojj
Disney Mad Scrapbooker!

ah, what a lovely story, thank you for sharing, very romantic

WDW -97, 05, 06, 2009/2010, 2011
DLC - 1998
DLP -17 Times
jojj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 13, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Congratulations. You certainly put a lot of effort into making the moment special and it paid off. Any chance of us seeing the photo?

Edited at 11:31 PM.
Old 8 Feb 13, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Many congratulations, we're all saving up for new hats for the big day Pics please!

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 13, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Sounds fantastic... very romantic
Congratulations ... pics please !
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06
Fairfield Inn Marriot Village LBV-12

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 13, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Awwwwww I remember the thread in question. So happy for you
Old 8 Feb 13, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
jillyb
Imagineer

jillyb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Congrulations to you both