Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jun 13, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

If you can get past :

-horrendously rude french and spanish guests. They will barge into you - not let you off any busses if they intend to get on...

-the fact that most french and spanish guests chain smoke - even in the lines for childrens rides...smoking is rife and a massive downer on the place

-you will not be able to get your kids near the characters without a fight as they will be pushing and shoving even when you taking a picture. We have countless pictures with random european kids in the picture...

-the food is really really bad and over priced - cold and not very good

-the staff members will be not be like they are in WDW so don't expect them to be happy

Apart from the above the park is great!

We are going as we cannot currently stretch to WDW
Old 18 Jun 13, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
LaurenYorkshir
Imagineer

I am going for the first time as an adult in Dec for a magix fix until we go to WDW next year . I can't wait ... I know it is not WDW and as such I wont be comparing it . I will be thereto the soak up the lovely magical Disney Christmas atmosphere

LaurenYorkshir is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

There's always a lot of negativity on here about DLP (not this forum of course), and I can never understand it.

I have been to WDW twice and DLP 9 times (10th trip coming up in August). I went to WDW first, then DLP the year after. I loved them both!

The main park in DLP is much better than MK, the rides are better, the castle is prettier, in general the whole park is much nicer. I have been at various times of the year, in the summer temperatures can be very hot.
You can't beat DLP for the magic at Christmas. I have been 4 times at Christmas to DLP and once to WDW. DLP is just magical at that time of year. Could have been any time of year at WDW, apart from the Christmas trees around the parks, it didn't have any magical feel about it, well no more than any other time of year.

The studios aren't quite as nice as the main park, but the rides are fantastic!

My kids all prefer DLP over WDW. If it wasn't for Epcot, I doubt we'd ever go back to WDW. We all love France and it's so easy to get there, without a long flight. It also costs much less, as you go for a shorter time, so less spending money and it's much cheaper to get there.

However, we do love Florida, but that's where most people compare the two. DLP is a short break, consisting of two parks. Florida, as well as all the WDW parks, waterparks, Universal, has lots of other things to offer too, and is a much longer holiday.

Some people on here, only holiday to WDW. Others like to visit many different countries. If you're the latter, then you're more likely to enjoy the differences.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by baldybouncer View Post
If you can get past :

-horrendously rude french and spanish guests. They will barge into you - not let you off any busses if they intend to get on...

-the fact that most french and spanish guests chain smoke - even in the lines for childrens rides...smoking is rife and a massive downer on the place

-you will not be able to get your kids near the characters without a fight as they will be pushing and shoving even when you taking a picture. We have countless pictures with random european kids in the picture...

-the food is really really bad and over priced - cold and not very good

-the staff members will be not be like they are in WDW so don't expect them to be happy

Apart from the above the park is great!

We are going as we cannot currently stretch to WDW
Wow! lol!

I find the French and Spanish no more rude than other nations, rude people exist in all nationalities, the Brits are up there amongst the worst imo.
How many times do we read about South American tour groups being rude at WDW?

I have never noticed smoking to the extent that it sometimes gets mentioned.

We don't really have any interest in characters or parades, so can't comment on the scrums really.

There are some fantastic restaurants at DLP, we don't do counter service apart from the odd drink/snack, but the table service restaurants which we always go to are extremely good, both in quality and service.

We've only ever come across one 'offish' CM in all our trips. They are mostly polite and happy, just a little more reserved than their US counterparts, which I prefer tbh.

Anyway, we should be putting people off, means the parks will be quieter lol!
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Our first DLP trip was in 2000 when we only had DS (then aged 2) plus grandparents. None of the adults were impressed (heaving with large groups of kids, long queues at restaurants and being hurried out for the next customer, queue jumping, dour CMs) although DS loved it. For us, it was a "trial run" for Florida the next year (booked within 24 hrs of getting back from DLP!)

We've never been inclined to return to DLP even though we are only 1 hr from the Tunnel. For us, it just pales in comparison and I wouldn't waste my money, would rather save up and do more in Florida. We are fortunate to be able to go every year, but I wouldn't even consider DLP as a "substitute". I'd rather go without to be perfectly honest.

My DD (8) went on weekend trip to DLP last November with her Brownies. They were all so excited and I made a conscious effort not to make my opinions known. However, she returned just as disillusioned as me and has no desire to go back - "I'd rather go to Florida or not bother" - her own words.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Jen78
Imagineer

Tbh the Brits are as bad with the smoking cos they know they can get away with it!
Jen78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It's funny as I actually ended up coming WDW with DLP whilst we were there. Big Thunder at DLP is FAR better, as is Buzz and Rock N Roller. The main park is beautiful with so many places to go and take great pics. I definitely would consider it, but I would suggest combining it with seeing other parts of Paris too.
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by itsrachelhere View Post
It's funny as I actually ended up coming WDW with DLP whilst we were there. Big Thunder at DLP is FAR better, as is Buzz and Rock N Roller. The main park is beautiful with so many places to go and take great pics. I definitely would consider it, but I would suggest combining it with seeing other parts of Paris too.
Space Mountain and POTC are far superior too.
Old 18 Jun 13, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
Space Mountain and POTC are far superior too.
Yes - those too! Plus the dragon and going upstairs in the castle is great.
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by skb 123 View Post
Our first DLP trip was in 2000 when we only had DS (then aged 2) plus grandparents. None of the adults were impressed (heaving with large groups of kids...)
With no school age children you would have been better going in term time during the week. At 8am when we get there for EMH the park is empty!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread