Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Oct 13, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Planty
Getting Excited

We surprised my Son who was 10 at the time. We told him that we were taking Grandad to the airport as he was off to meet up with an old friend. When we arrived at the airport we then told him that it was us that were off on holiday for a few days to France to meet up with a girl I had had been working with for a while. He was so shocked and happy.

Once we landed at the airport we made our way to meet the Magical Express. When it pulled up he still didn't realise, we had to ask him to take a close look at the bus. Well he was over the moon.
Planty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 13, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm not sure what age your kids are but what if Santa left one special present marked not to be opened until New Year's Day!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 13, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Personally I think you are all mad not letting the little ones in on the excitement of all the planning etc

To me do the "reveal" early , it will still be a surprise and just the same reaction if done a few months or more before

Then the kids have time to get involved in the planning process , deciding what to do , when to do it , what hotel / villa etc , buying all the little things to take with you , watching stuff on you tube , making homemade autograph books , getting excited telling their friends , doing a daily countdown chart etc etc

Sorry to say but doing a reveal the day before or the same day it just not fair on the kids. They would want to experience the excitement you will have had of all the build-up to it

Just my opinion .
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 13, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted-nadi
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by LottesMum View Post
Yeah we defo made the right decision telling him when we booked it this time as he had time to get excited n my two year old asks to go to Disney every morning :0) we were meant to be doing dlp for longer but she kicked (his mum) a right fuss about him being away for a week tho she let's her parents take him two weeks at a timeso she can go on holiday ! It's a right shame xx
That's such a shame that she's like that, seems selfish .

Disney is mentioned at least once a day in our house, we have reminders everywhere, pictures, souvenirs discretely placed .. I love it, enjoy the build up!

My heart belongs to uncle Walt
Orlando/Paris/Cali/HongKong/Tokyo ✔️
Shanghai one day
Enchanted-nadi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 13, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted-nadi
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by princess m View Post
I'm not sure what age your kids are but what if Santa left one special present marked not to be opened until New Year's Day!
Oh my lord! That would kill them! Haha

Shanghai one day
Enchanted-nadi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 13, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Jen78
Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Personally I think you are all mad not letting the little ones in on the excitement of all the planning etc

To me do the "reveal" early , it will still be a surprise and just the same reaction if done a few months or more before

Then the kids have time to get involved in the planning process , deciding what to do , when to do it , what hotel / villa etc , buying all the little things to take with you , watching stuff on you tube , making homemade autograph books , getting excited telling their friends , doing a daily countdown chart etc etc

Sorry to say but doing a reveal the day before or the same day it just not fair on the kids. They would want to experience the excitement you will have had of all the build-up to it

Just my opinion .
Not my choice, my sister wants it to be a surprise for her 5 yr old daughters birthday so telling my 6 yr old is not an option.

Plus this will be the 4th time he has been so has had plenty of involvement in planning before. And he knows what to expect when we get there... I think it's nice to have surprises in your life every so often, we surprised him with a trip to center parcs last week and the look on his face was priceless
Also he drives us crazy asking everyday "are we going yet"
Jen78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 13, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted-nadi
Apprentice Imagineer

Just my opinion .
I agree if this was a first trip, or only trip, in our case we have been lucky enough to visit wdw many times and DLP over the years, and it's never been a surprise, they've always been involved.. However , it was actually my 11 year old DD who saw the ads on tv where kids get the "big reveal" and she sighed and said I wish I could have that one day .. Hence this one being a surprise .. It'll be a nice change. We are going to Disney in Cali next August (friends wedding nearby) , so they can plan that one .., I never had any holidays as a kid, apart from camping. My mum was a single parent. So I'm just greatful I can give my two the experiences I never had x

Shanghai one day
Old 3 Oct 13, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 101

Just my opinion .
I hear what you're saying. We weighed up the options for ages about telling them or keeping it a surprise. We've gone with surprise as DS (3) will only ask every day 'are we seeing Mickey today?' And will be upset if we're not, we've learnt this the hard way! For DD (12) I know she'd be really excited initially but because she's been 3 times before I think there's a risk that the wait would take the edge off that excitement, and as she knows what to expect there isn't much planning that she would want to do beforehand, whereas she's never just got in the car and gone

Twitter - @rpaisley79 / Instagram - rachelpaisley79

Upcoming Hols *July '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*August 2020 WDW Coronado Springs*

Previous Hols *Jan '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '18 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Oct '17 Cheyenne*Jan '17 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '16 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*March '15 - Cheyenne*Nov '13 - Cheyenne*Feb '12 - Newport Bay*April '08 - Santa Fe*March '05 - Santa Fe*

Click here for my Disneyland Paris Trip Reports
Beaker7929 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 13, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post

We surprised my ds who is 6 when we went to DLP in Feb. We were staying at the hotel at the airport the night before our trip, he thought we were just having an overnight for a treat.

After dinner we got the waiter to bring over an envelope and inside was a letter from Mickey telling him that because we were so proud of him we had planned a trip to Disney and he was going the next day. The look on his face was priceless and well worth keeping it a secret. He then told everyone about his surprise and showed off his letter from Mickey.

He knows we are going this time and it has been nice planning and being able to talk about the trip in the open lol.

I liked both ways it does depend on your kids tho.

Have a great trip when it comes.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 13, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The first time we went to DLP, our (almost 3 year old) knew we were going, every day it was 'are we going to see Mickey' but the excitement didn't really build up much but when we got there, she kept saying how excited she was and when she saw Mickey (etc!) for the first time, there were huge squeals of excitement... the second time we took her (8 months later), I kept it a surprise and she was so overwhelmed, the reaction was underwhelming! She just flushed really pink and couldn't speak.

We're going again to Paris - DD thinks we're going to DLP just for her b'day on the day, but we're staying for 4 nights. We've been able to gauge what she'd really like to do on her big day and also chat about what else she wants to do. DD2 who will be 2.5 when we're there only understands 'NOW' so we'll tell her when we get there!
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread