Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Oct 13, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
coventry_family
Very Serious Dibber

We arent telling our kids we are going. Told them we are going to the market at Brugge, that story gets us onto the tunnel without any questions, so I'm hoping to keep them distracted with a DVD so the first time they realise where we are is when we drive through the Disney arch!
Fingers crossed it works out as we hope
Old 3 Oct 13, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
coventry_family
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Personally I think you are all mad not letting the little ones in on the excitement of all the planning etc

To me do the "reveal" early , it will still be a surprise and just the same reaction if done a few months or more before

Then the kids have time to get involved in the planning process , deciding what to do , when to do it , what hotel / villa etc , buying all the little things to take with you , watching stuff on you tube , making homemade autograph books , getting excited telling their friends , doing a daily countdown chart etc etc

Sorry to say but doing a reveal the day before or the same day it just not fair on the kids. They would want to experience the excitement you will have had of all the build-up to it

Just my opinion .
Why not tell them what they are getting for Christmas while you are ar it? How can you say it's not fair on the kids? What a daft comment.

My kids love the magic of surprises and I hope to keep it that way as long as possible
Old 3 Oct 13, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coventry_family View Post
Why not tell them what they are getting for Christmas while you are ar it? How can you say it's not fair on the kids? What a daft comment.

My kids love the magic of surprises and I hope to keep it that way as long as possible
Whenever you tell them it will still be a surprise . I'm not saying dont do some kind of " reveal" to make the actual announcement something special.

It won't be fair on the kids ( leaving until the last minute to tell them ) because they miss out on all the excitement and planning of looking forward to the trip. Their disney holiday lasts a few days. You are enjoying the build up to it for months. How many dibber do a dance to celebrate it being just 500 /100/10 days until they go ? Loads because the build up to it is part of the whole " experience "

Just the same as half the excitement of Christmas is the expectation of what it is going to be like, not what the actual presents are. Christmas just wouldn't be the same if you just woke up one morning to tell them "today is Christmas Day, I've been keeping it a surprise from you. Are you really pleased ? "

You have chosen a perfect example to back up my point . Thanks.

Edited at 08:25 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 13, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
scots minnie
Apprentice Imagineer

scots minnie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We surprised our kids in 2010 that we were going to dlp.we told them we would be picking them up from school @ dinner time on the Friday as we were going to Edinburgh for the weekend.when we got them home from school we got them to eat some lunch the gave them a present wrapped up that was a Mickey from Disney store holding an envelope that you can get personalised. We wrote ****,*** and *** today you are coming to Paris to see me! They couldn't believe it at first but it was awesome the cases were packed ready to go and they loved it! Hope your reveal goes well whatever you decide
Old 3 Oct 13, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
bLaZeR666_uk
Master Dibber

bLaZeR666_uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 22
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We are not telling our DD (5) until the day we fly...you can still build up the excitement as we have told her that when she is 6 we will go.

I confirmed this excitement when my wife went to her new school today to see how my DD was getting on.

Well check it out for yourself:

lh6.googleusercontent/-i...42-no/2013+-+1
Old 3 Oct 13, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post

I never manage to keep it a secret, I wish I could and would love to do a big reveal. But I think my kids always assume we are going back to Disney, so it would probably fall flat.
I personally really hates surprises, someone once suggested DH organise a night out for our anniversary and surprise me, I went into a tailspin and couldn't go through with it, I have to know where I am going and have to be prepped so I wear the right thing etc. My DD1 is the same, besides she likes to be involved in the planning, so we have discussed doing the WDS Guided tour together and which restaurants we will go to on our December trip.
DS and DD2 are too young to really get it anyway, DS always assumes we are going back to DLP, he just doesn't know exactly when and he has little concept of time. But he is always saying 'when we go to Disneyland... ' I guess he will really know the day before we go when we pack the cases. I might have to start prepping DD2 sooner this time as she gets very stressed when things change, putting the Christmas decorations up last year was enough to ruin December, and the week before our March DLP trip she was also very anxious, even though she didn't really know what was going on, she picks up a vibe, so I think now she is a little older I might start to prep her for the trip earlier, so looks like my girls take after me. DS and DH will just go with the flow.

Edited at 10:19 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 13, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
clairemichelle
Imagineer

clairemichelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Personally I think you are all mad not letting the little ones in on the excitement of all the planning etc

To me do the "reveal" early , it will still be a surprise and just the same reaction if done a few months or more before

Then the kids have time to get involved in the planning process , deciding what to do , when to do it , what hotel / villa etc , buying all the little things to take with you , watching stuff on you tube , making homemade autograph books , getting excited telling their friends , doing a daily countdown chart etc etc

Sorry to say but doing a reveal the day before or the same day it just not fair on the kids. They would want to experience the excitement you will have had of all the build-up to it

Just my opinion .
I do understand where you are coming from, but for us this is a sneaky extra trip. Dd knows we're going next year to dlp to celebrate her big sisters 18th. She is always involved with planning our wdw trips - she has made a list of must do's for our next trip but - she also loves surprises, so now she has the best of both worlds.
I do know that if I had surprised my son like this he would have hated it. Every child/situation is different

clairemichelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 13, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Jen78
Imagineer

Good job we haven't told he kids yet, as you can see we go 3 weeks today...but hubby has been laid up in bed for the last week with a bad back and sciatica so as it stands we may have to cancel

So at least it will only be me who is disappointed!
Jen78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 13, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 101
Originally Posted by Jen78 View Post
Good job we haven't told he kids yet, as you can see we go 3 weeks today...but hubby has been laid up in bed for the last week with a bad back and sciatica so as it stands we may have to cancel

So at least it will only be me who is disappointed!
Oh no! My OH had sciatica last year, lots of trips to the chiropractor and doing Pilates sorted him out...just in time for his surprise birthday trip to Belgium, I was as panicky as you sound right now! Everything crossed he gets better soon

Twitter - @rpaisley79 / Instagram - rachelpaisley79

Upcoming Hols *July '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*August 2020 WDW Coronado Springs*

Previous Hols *Jan '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '18 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Oct '17 Cheyenne*Jan '17 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '16 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*March '15 - Cheyenne*Nov '13 - Cheyenne*Feb '12 - Newport Bay*April '08 - Santa Fe*March '05 - Santa Fe*

Click here for my Disneyland Paris Trip Reports
Beaker7929 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 13, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Jen78
Imagineer

I might kill him before we go anyway ...so problem solved!
He has the sciatica version of man flu
Jen78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread