Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Feb 14, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
cazspence
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sir Planalot View Post
It would be nice if the rest of the resorts followed DLP's lead and added characters to their hotels rather than taking them away from DLP.
A much better idea. The hotel meets are especially good for us with young kiddies who are afraid of the big characters in the park. They don't seem quite so scary for my wee boy in the hotel. Even at the meet Mickey Mouse he was petrified of mickey. It's all about the environment. Bad move disney. Very bad move.
cazspence is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 14, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
almcg
Very Serious Dibber

This is too bad. I've some lovely memories of my daughter meeting Mickey etc in the hotels. In fact my sister used the opportunity to let my nephew, who is Autistic, meet the characters. It was just not going to happen in the park! Sometimes things don't change for the better
almcg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 14, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Yes, I don't understand the idea that the hotels are 'not very Disney'. Most WDW hotels are not full of Mickey & co imagery - quite deliberately. Instead they are themed to different places or ideas. The SL is very similar to Wilderness Lodge in theming. The HNY looks very like the Swan & Dolphin (same architect) and the DLH is very similar to the Grand Floridian. Cheyenne doesn't have a WDW equivalent but the theming there is excellent.

To me the hotels are very Disney indeed!

However, I do think removing the characters is a bad move. For little ones or those with special needs it is a quieter, easier way to meet the characters.
People surely aren't looking at the decor properly in WDW resorts. You merely have to look at the marble floor in Grand Floridian main building and it is littered with Disney references - most of the characters are hidden in the floor. In the balastrades at Old Key West you can see dozens of Hidden Mickeys and so it goes on. I don't need a 30 foot Woody to tell me I'm at Disney. I know I am and the surroundings are Disney. Look at the light fittings, the furniture, the carpets. It's all there. They're subtle - just look that bit more carefully.
The touches are also there at Paris! Go look at the topiary outside the proper main entrance at DLH. Look at the wallpaper by the elevators and then you have Tinker Bell on nearly every bedroom door and the castle on the bed heads.

I can't see characters being removed from the Castle Club lounge though. The prices they pay up there - they'd have a fit!

Grand Floridian examples:

Edited at 12:19 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 14, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie moomoo
VIP Dibber

Geoffa. Oh wow. That floor looks just beautiful.

DLP, Davy Crocketts Ranch. Sept 2013. DLP, Sequoia lodge, GF, Oct 2014. DLP, Santa Fe, May 2015. DLP, Sequoia Lodge GF. May 2016. DLP, Sequoia Lodge. Aug 2017. Les Alicourts Resort 2017 WDW, Caribbean Beach Resort. Sept 2018 Camping La croix du vieux pont 2018 DLP, Sequoia Lodge, GF. Aug 2019.
WDW, Port Orleans Resort, Grande Villas Resort, Cabana Bay Resort. Aug 2022 DLP, Davy Crocketts Ranch. Aug 2023. Les Alicourts Resort 2023
minnie moomoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 14, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Some a few more Paris ones -
Santa Fe - the red fire hydrant - look carefully it's a Hidden Mickey.
Cactus in Trading Shop window at Sante Fe - it's Mickey!
Carpet at DLH - look carefully - you'll find Mickey in all the wiggles.
Signs for stairs have silhouette Mickey walking up them.

As I said they are so subtle.
Old 12 Feb 14, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by minnie moomoo View Post
Geoffa. Oh wow. That floor looks just beautiful.

Go visit when you are next there. I love Friday night at the GF. They have a small orchestra on the balcony outside Mizners bar.
Old 12 Feb 14, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Thing is as lovely as the subtle details are & as much as my partner & I admire them it's not what my children want.
They want to go to disneyland & meet mickey. They love waking up to go see who is downstairs waiting for them. They want a morning cuddle with minnie or a play with Donald & we pay a hefty price tag for that.

Taking it away is a big thing to us & many other families. Really not happy I've emailed to see where I stand to get my deposit refunded. We'd rather stay offsite, save the £1000 difference & have several meals in inventions x
Old 12 Feb 14, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by katie m View Post
Thing is as lovely as the subtle details are & as much as my partner & I admire them it's not what my children want.
They want to go to disneyland & meet mickey. They love waking up to go see who is downstairs waiting for them. They want a morning cuddle with minnie or a play with Donald & we pay a hefty price tag for that.

Taking it away is a big thing to us & many other families. Really not happy I've emailed to see where I stand to get my deposit refunded. We'd rather stay offsite, save the £1000 difference & have several meals in inventions x

I have a feeling this has been done because off property guests have cottoned on to the fact that characters are in the hotels at certain times and they can skip the lines in the parks to get to see them. To see Mickey in Disneyland park you will need to go to Fantasy Festival Stage. I appreciate your children's disappointment but things in life do change. You never get characters in the resorts at WDW unless it's a character breakfast etc which you have to pay for.
Old 12 Feb 14, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
fd1972uk
Imagineer

fd1972uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 25

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 57
Exactly 'pay for'. They're looking at for example a Cafe Mickey or such, and thinking there's an empty table there, how can we fill it. It's another person needed to fill a suit they might be thinking too.

Regardless of WDW not having it, they should, surely a crowd pleaser for actual people staying on-site would be this.

Whilst DLP can't compete much in terms with the big parks, this was something they had over the others, now that's away.

Wonder if the Character Descent will still happen?

FD
DLP Oct'14, Sequoia Lodge
ASM, HRH, AOA, DC BAH FL Oct'17
fd1972uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 14, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post

But WDW is a completely different experience, I dont think you can fairly compare the two.

It's one of the few perks there is x
Closed Thread