Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Feb 15, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Smoking complaint

Hi
I have posted a complaint on the dlp facebook page

[URL="https://m.facebook.com/disneylandparis?v=timeline&filter=2[/URL]

Does anybody know if there is a better place to direct this and its really got to me! We've been loads of times and it has never been as bad as it was in feb

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 15, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DJBenz
Apprentice Imagineer

DJBenz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Probably would have been better to direct it to Guest Services in the park. We complained about it when we were there, similar to your feelings but without the horrible encounter with the pushchair, but they were not really interested.

Under French law they can only request people to use smoking areas, they can't enforce a ban in open areas. However, in ride queues etc. they can enforce a ban, but as you point out the staff rarely do anything about it.

Wouldn't return to DLP after our experience TBH.
DJBenz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 15, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post

We told guest services but they really weren't concerned!
Old 26 Feb 15, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Unfortunately there is little they can do. They have no legal power to stop people smoking, and though they try to get people to use the designated areas, most people (including many, many Brits) ignore them or are aggressive.

Unfortunately everywhere you go in much of Europe, everyone smokes outdoors. Even here in London!

It is no worse than any big city - we have found the same in Paris, Madrid, many German cities and here in London too. It is totally the norm in most of Europe.

You can usually move away, though.

I have asthma and I hate smoking, but usually manage to move away at DLP.

It's just one of those 'people are different' things. Although Brits do it almost as much. I asked a British granny not to smoke near my friend's sleeping toddler at DLP, and her daughter yelled at me and called me rude!
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 15, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DJBenz
Apprentice Imagineer

DJBenz's Reviews
They can enforce it if it's happening in queues though, but they very rarely do!
DJBenz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 15, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Jen78
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DJBenz View Post
They can enforce it if it's happening in queues though, but they very rarely do!
I can't blame them though, I once saw a cm who must have been about 20 ask a bloke to stop smoking in the queue and he Said "what are you going to do if I dont" and she didn't ave an answer he was very intimidating...cos really what could she do... They don't actually have the power to stop people..
Jen78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 15, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Actually I have rarely seen people smoking in queues (though I have at parades and Dreams), and CMs do ask them to stop, but they just light up again when the CM moves on. There is only so much you can do if people regard it as their sacred right to smoke anywhere and threaten or attack anyone who stops them!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 15, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DJBenz
Apprentice Imagineer

DJBenz's Reviews
They don't have security?

The fact is, for whatever reason, the problem doesn't manifest itself in WDW nearly as badly so what are they doing differently to control the problem?
Old 26 Feb 15, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post

It's just like queuing at WDW is completely different to that at DLP.

The people are different. Guests, cast members, different continent, all these things effect it.

I once asked a spanish woman to either stop smoking or smoke somewhere else, this was in the outside queue in the studios to see Buzz Lightyear. She glared at me and pointed to her 2 kids that she didn't have a problem smoking around them.

Different attitudes of europeans to americans.
Old 26 Feb 15, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by DJBenz View Post
They don't have security?

The fact is, for whatever reason, the problem doesn't manifest itself in WDW nearly as badly so what are they doing differently to control the problem?
French law means only a police officer (not a private security guard) can make someone stop smoking outdoors. The law is the law.

We Brits are the odd ones out and if you visit Europe often you just get used to that. As I say, even in London it is the same. Everyone smokes, no-one queues, everyone pushes and shoves. You just sharpen your elbows and resist!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Closed Thread