Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Oct 15, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Disadvantages to flying?

Hi, very new to DLP and just having a look at prices. I see lots of mentions of Eurostar but not many mentions of flying. Is there a disadvantage to flying? We live 15 mins from Gatwick and that seems easier than a train to St Pancras first. Am I wrong?

Also can anyone explain transfers from the airport?

Edited at 08:32 AM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We flew from Manchester on my 40th birthday at 3pm , everything was great until they got fog at CDG ( it was November ) . The flight came in to land a pulled up sharp and got diverted to Belgium! Not allowed off plane as classed as illegals until we got clearance , then sat In Airport waiting for a bus transfer and 4.5 hrs on a coach back to CDG . Car hire was shut so could get cars we had hired. Taxi got lost going to Disneyland ! How you ask yourself. €100 lighter arrived at 5am. But guess we were just unlucky but certainly a birthday I remember well ! My recommendation... go in summer
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

Well I think the advantage of going by Eurostar is that if you get a direct train it takes you directly into DLP. I am a bit biased though as we only live about 15 mins or so from Ebbsfleet. I think it depends where in the country you live - in your case I'm not sure what I'd do - it might come down to price.
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We live near Heathrow and drive, taking the Eurotunnel. It probably doesn't take much more time than flying when you include security, waiting and transfers. It also means we can pack as much as we like and bring back as much as we like.
Jaybeez is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
It's slightly cheaper to fly (non car Eurostar)and that's not including train into St Pancras and back. Thinking about it afterwards I'd think I'd rather one of my parents picking us up at Gatwick 15 minutes away than a train journey back from London!
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post

We flew and never again, we were a party of 7, 4 adults 3 children, the flight was from bhx to cdg was fine, it was the coach transfer to the hotel where we had problems, we queued for the coach with a few other brits but when the coach turned up all these french appeared and pushed in we had no chance of getting on the coach so we just stood back and thought we woukd wait for the next one 2nd coach came and the same happened again the french do no queue like us brits, we tried to get on the coach but my youngest grandson was getting crushed so we pulled back, when the 3rd bus arrived the driver refused to let any french on he announced english only so after an hour and half of waiting we finally got on the coach
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by jillywilly View Post
We flew and never again, we were a party of 7, 4 adults 3 children, the flight was from bhx to cdg was fine, it was the coach transfer to the hotel where we had problems, we queued for the coach with a few other brits but when the coach turned up all these french appeared and pushed in we had no chance of getting on the coach so we just stood back and thought we woukd wait for the next one 2nd coach came and the same happened again the french do no queue like us brits, we tried to get on the coach but my youngest grandson was getting crushed so we pulled back, when the 3rd bus arrived the driver refused to let any french on he announced english only so after an hour and half of waiting we finally got on the coach
Crikey! Think I'll have another look at Eurostar.!
Old 7 Oct 15, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Having to spend longer at airport than station (only 45 min before train for Eurostar).

Having to negotiate large and confusing CDG airport.

Getting from CDG to DLP can be expensive and time consuming. With Eurostar you step off the train and you are at DLP.

Depending on when you book the tickets, Eurostar can be as cheap or cheaper than flying (currently cheapest Eurostar tickets look like £72, although you need to be quick as those sell out within hours on
the day they are released).

Flying means having to faff about with checking in luggage, on Eurostar you just keep it with you.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

We live 'up north' so we have no choice but to fly. It's expensive and a hassle but worth it to get to DLP!

If I had the chance to go on the Eurostar I probably would - it's normally cheaper and as others say you get straight into the station at DLP.

Last Halloween my DH was in London so he took the Eurostar and I flew with the kids and met him there. He said his journey was great - best way to travel there and I think he didn't do direct either - changed at Lille, as I believe there are only 2 direct trains a day and he couldn't make those times.

For us, to get the train down to London, with the possibility of having to stay over just doesn't work. Flying makes the trip every expensive though :angry:. I don't think I've ever managed to get flights for under £584 for the 4 of us as we always fly school holidays!

Sorry, forgot to add that transfers from the airport aren't cheap either - a private shuttle is what we use. You can get the high speed TGV but that ends up nearly as expensive for 4 of us. Being able to walk from Marne la vallee station straight into DLP is a big bonus I think!
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
To defend flying...

We live near Bournemouth airport so that helps but our flight was at around 12:30. We left our house at about 11:30, were sat down with lunch and a drink airside by 11:50. (we were the only people going through security ) The flight time was an hour. We arrived in CDG 14:30 local time I think it was. The TGV from CDG to DLP was 9mins. Yep, 9 mins. So a relaxing 2 and 1/2 hours door to door I think it was was. most of that spent reading, eating and drinking

I wouldnt travel any other way from Bournemouth.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread