Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Oct 15, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by Tink75 View Post
We live 'up north' so we have no choice but to fly. It's expensive and a hassle but worth it to get to DLP!
I've read of some people driving and going on the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry if that's any help?
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cazspence
slightly serious Dibber

We live in the far north east of Scotland and would never go any other way. We drive to Folkestone and take the tunnel, paid for by Tesco vouchers. Even with the average 2000 miles it still works out cheaper than flying and we can buy as much stuff as we want, no worries about limits etc.

Edited at 02:54 PM.
cazspence is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Thanks but driving isn't an option for us as both my children get car sick - DD1 very badly and it would just ruin it before we even start!

Tbh the journey would take sooo long that way, I really couldn't be faffed for 3 or 4 nights which is all we tend to do at DLP (only once done 5 nts). Flying while expensive, doesn't honestly take us that much time especially as we live near the airport and can manage being there an hour beforehand! We quite like our time at the airport too! It's just expensive, especially now there's just Air France (whom I don't like as an airline!), who offer the route and you have to factor in transfer costs which aren't cheap.

I think some people drive up to Glasgow or Edinburgh as I think Easyjet go from there, but again the driving isn't an option for us and just adds to the journey time.

But, if it was more 'doable' I'd do the Eurostar given the choice - which was what the OP was asking about. Much more civilised and gets you straight into Marne la Vallee.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
caspdex
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
To defend flying...

We live near Bournemouth airport so that helps but our flight was at around 12:30. We left our house at about 11:30, were sat down with lunch and a drink airside by 11:50. (we were the only people going through security ) The flight time was an hour. We arrived in CDG 14:30 local time I think it was. The TGV from CDG to DLP was 9mins. Yep, 9 mins. So a relaxing 2 and 1/2 hours door to door I think it was was. most of that spent reading, eating and drinking

I wouldnt travel any other way from Bournemouth.
It always amuses me when people quote the TGV as 9 mins. If you miss one it can be nearly two hours for the next one . Even getting to the station at CDG can be quite time consuming, as can be getting to your final destination from Chessy station. If anybody has ever managed to get from Arrivals to their Hotel in under 30 mins using the TGV I would be very surprised.
caspdex is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

I can't recall the prices for TGV but as a family of 4, I know it wasn't much more to get a private door to door car. I know it takes about 40 mins to drive from the airport - but it's fairly relaxed and you can sit back and enjoy the sites as you go .

Last time we opted for a shared car to keep costs down as we had a WDW holiday booked too. As it happened, we were on our own both ways anyway .

Great, until my DD2 was sick in the back of the car on the way to the airport home .

Told you driving wasn't our thing! The driver was sooo nice - he could have been much worse. Bless him.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We priced up Eurostar but even if we got the cheapest fare possible we still saved money by flying plus as we head out there on a Sunday we would have had to go to London on the Saturday as the earliest train from our local town on a sunday just missed the direct Eurostar! We have booked a private transfer once we get there.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tink75 View Post
We live 'up north' so we have no choice but to fly. It's expensive and a hassle but worth it to get to DLP!

If I had the chance to go on the Eurostar I probably would - it's normally cheaper and as others say you get straight into the station at DLP.

Last Halloween my DH was in London so he took the Eurostar and I flew with the kids and met him there. He said his journey was great - best way to travel there and I think he didn't do direct either - changed at Lille, as I believe there are only 2 direct trains a day and he couldn't make those times.

For us, to get the train down to London, with the possibility of having to stay over just doesn't work. Flying makes the trip every expensive though :angry:. I don't think I've ever managed to get flights for under £584 for the 4 of us as we always fly school holidays!

Sorry, forgot to add that transfers from the airport aren't cheap either - a private shuttle is what we use. You can get the high speed TGV but that ends up nearly as expensive for 4 of us. Being able to walk from Marne la vallee station straight into DLP is a big bonus I think!
We live in Durham and I can't justify the cost of flying from Newcastle, it's just so expensive. We get the train to London and stay overnight at the travelodge , then Eurostar the next morning. Kids love seeing the London sights. Then on the way home we get on the Eurostar at Disney land, have an hour between trains then train to durham forms kings cross. Half the price of flying and it's no hastle as straight to DLP.
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Hi, very new to DLP and just having a look at prices. I see lots of mentions of Eurostar but not many mentions of flying. Is there a disadvantage to flying? We live 15 mins from Gatwick and that seems easier than a train to St Pancras first. Am I wrong?

Also can anyone explain transfers from the airport?
for me, flying is the most convenient way, and its not expensive either. I live in the Midlands, Luton is about 90 minutes drive away, so Easyjet to CDG is great for me, around £60 per person return, plus another £30 max per person for return transfers between CDG and DLP, by private shuttle (40 minutes exit gate to hotel door).

I've travelled by Eurostar too, you arrive at the very gates of the DLP parks which is great, but then I have a lot of travelling to do to get to a Eurostar station in the UK, so its not any quicker for me, and certainly wasn't cheaper compared to my usual flying route.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Crikey! Think I'll have another look at Eurostar.!
theres no need to go anywhere near the VEA coach between CDG and DLP, its the slowest, least convenient, and can be a pretty expensive, way of getting from A to B these days.

Private/shared shuttle transfer, booked in advance, is by far the most convenient way, and can be the cheapest too.

Edited at 05:57 PM.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caspdex View Post
It always amuses me when people quote the TGV as 9 mins. If you miss one it can be nearly two hours for the next one . Even getting to the station at CDG can be quite time consuming, as can be getting to your final destination from Chessy station. If anybody has ever managed to get from Arrivals to their Hotel in under 30 mins using the TGV I would be very surprised.
nope, never managed that, even arriving at the Easyjet terminal at CDG (15 minutes walk from the train station in the same terminal building). When I used to take the TGV from CDG to DLP, I'd factor about one hour from my plane landing time, to catching the TGV - i've done that in less, around 35 minutes, but then theres the 10-minute journey on the train, so thats 45 minutes, then the walk or shuttle to your DLP hotel from the train station at Marne la Vallee, at least another 10 minutes. So just about an hour at the least, by that time by shared or private shuttle I'm checked in at my DLP hotel, got my park tickets, and am on my way into the parks .
Closed Thread