Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Jun 16, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We went to DLP for the first time after three trips to WDW and loved it there. We liked the fact that you can literally get up in the morning a walk to either park and the fact that some of the rides are newer and better than the WDW versions.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MissMinnieMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

It is definitely worth doing!

I am a HUGE wdw fan, but with the best will in the world we can't afford to do it yearly. So DLP is our Disney fix. It isn't wdw. It isn't as big... But everything is close to the hotels and you wake up with the parks on your doorstep. Everything has that Disney flair and it has some fab rides that they don't have in wdw. It certainly cures our Disney blues, without the cost and without the long haul flight.

I've been to Port Aventura too, and whilst it is a good theme park... It had an Alton Towers/Thorpe Park feel about it for me. Great rides but no magic. And I didn't particularly like Salou. But if its rides you are after and nice weather, you will certainly get that at Port Aventura.

My vote would be DLP though. There are great rides, good restaurants, lovely hotels and that touch if Disney magic that you crave!
MissMinnieMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

We have done both twice. I think it's defo worth a trip it's smaller so 5/6 days is enough plus i'd go into Pris for the day too. There are even a couple of rides there that are better than WDW especially Pirates of the Caribbean!

I think it's great as a DLP midi break until we can save for another Florida one!

Best to try it and see for yourself.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
It's a bit like saying 'Is it worth visiting France after visiting America?'

Answer - yes, but expect it to be France not America! The European ideas about many things are different from American ones.

For example, service: in the US (particularly in Disney) you go into a shop and the server acts like your new BFF. In most of Europe they view that as fake and tacky. They assume you don't want people plaguing you, and will leave you alone until you indicate that you would like some help. Hiowever, if you initiate a conversation (and particularly if you use their language, however badly) they love it!

Service is usually quiet and unobtrusive. I once sat in a character buffet and saw a little girl near me getting anxious because her mum was out of sight. A nearby CM noticed, came over and said to her (in French) not to worry because she could see her mum just at the buffet. Those are the little touches you wouldn't necessarily notice.

Disneyland Park is astonishingly pretty. The castle is gorgeous (and it has magic things to see upstairs and underneath!) Discoveryland looks wonderfully steampunk in its Jules Verne themed glory, particularly at night. Many will tell you some of the rides are better than WDW versions.

The Studios is themed to look like a movie studios, and was built on the cheap, so isn't the most attractive environment. But it contains Place de Remy which is beautiful, and Toy Story Playland which has amazing theming.

As for food, do like the French do and regard the three-course two-hour lunch break in a fancy restaurant as your basic human right. The fast food is average at best, but the fine dining is superb.

The French/Spanish/Italians have a different idea of personal space from us reserved Brits. I have friends of all three nationalities, and they stand closer to me that any two Brits would feel comfortable with! So yes, pushing up to you / pushing in is a factor - most European countries don't place the same value on queueing as we do. But that happens in the US too, and a strong back and a firm 'NO!' will usually do the trick.

And yes, people smoke, as they do everywhere outdoors in much of Europe. There are designated smoking areas, but sadly many people (including Brits) ignore them and meet the CMs' requests to stop with apathy, defiance or aggression. However, my daily commute in London takes me past more smokers than I've ever encountered at DLP. You can usually move out of the way. If you don't go looking for it, and don't let it bother you, it's usually manageable.

I'd say watch some videos (shameless self-promotion, we've done quite a few - check out Hothersalls channel on YouTube - and the wonderful Krispy Smore has done some great ones too). Read lots of trippies. Ask lots of questions. Immerse yourself in a totally different culture, and you'll have a wonderful time.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14

Edited at 02:15 PM.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

I think it's like marmite after a visit to WDW - you either love it or hate it, or that seems to be the general consensus. We did it the other way, visited DLRP many times before doing WDW, and we prefer DLRP. Everyone is different...

You've got to remember though, one is a SHORT BREAK destination in Europe, the other is a LONG HAUL destination in America. And, you've said yourself about the cost difference. Although there are many who come on saying they can go to Florida for the price it is for DLRP for a few days. I really can't understand how if they have school children going in school holidays etc as prices rocket for Florida. Yes, Paris is expensive when you are there, no doubt, unlike parts of Florida, but the transport etc is a fraction.

As I said on another thread the other day (a long one! lol), you shouldn't compare and don't go expecting WDW and you won't be disappointed. In fact, you shouldn't be disappointed anyway, but I think many are as they go thinking it's going to be a mini version of WDW and it aint.

If you can be bothered, have a look at my post here about it - partly explains the rationale and reasoning behind the park and also shows the breakdown of visitors which gives a clue to why and how it's different.

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...5#post11666625

From post 8 onwards...

HTH
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
gazza5
Proud to wear my Ears

two very different parks like others have said

I would not spend longer than 4 nights at the paris one - it smaller and the food quite a bit more expensive.

I like the fact if you want to go to chilli's in america etc you drive for 20 minutes and you have everything tgi fridays etc - the paris one there is none of that as far as I am aware locally - its either park food or down town disney.

Both have plus and minus points - we are going paris in october half term and florida next year before ours start school.
gazza5 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by gazza5 View Post
two very different parks like others have said

I would not spend longer than 4 nights at the paris one - it smaller and the food quite a bit more expensive.

I like the fact if you want to go to chilli's in america etc you drive for 20 minutes and you have everything tgi fridays etc - the paris one there is none of that as far as I am aware locally - its either park food or down town disney.

Both have plus and minus points - we are going paris in october half term and florida next year before ours start school.
Well, not quite. Val d'Europe shopping centre is one stop on the RER and it takes 5 minutes to get there. In the shopping centre there are several decent restaurants which are a fraction of Disney prices. Also some little cafes and restaurants around the area.

However, there are so many wonderful places to eat in DLP that I never bother unless I'm staying offsite!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchfan626
VIP Dibber

I love both. As other have said they are very different and you shouldn't go to DLP expecting WDW.

There are just the 2 parks in DLP and everything is within walking distance. You can literally hop between them all day. As it is newer than WDW some of the rides are better and there are different rides and attractions you won't find in DLP.
1995 WDW (offsite) , 1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club), 2001, 2002, 2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2004 WDW (offsite), 2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2007 WDW (Grand Floridian), 2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), 2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York), May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club), December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Room), April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge), June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), August 2019 DLP (Vienna Dream Castle), December 2019 DLP (Magic Circus)
Stitchfan626 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post

I agree with some of the other comments, DLP is worth doing, but only if you think of it as a separate experience to WDW, they are completely different leagues. I thought some of the rides were better in Paris - Pirates, It's A Small World, and according to hubby Space Mountain - but they're world's apart!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by iLaura View Post
I agree with some of the other comments, DLP is worth doing, but only if you think of it as a separate experience to WDW, they are completely different leagues. I thought some of the rides were better in Paris - Pirates, It's A Small World, and according to hubby Space Mountain - but they're world's apart!
BTM is the best (closed atm), ToT (although parts are good at WDW - I like the drops better - more intense at DLRP), Peter Pan, Phantom Manor (although not everyone agrees but we think it's spookier)...

However, there are some great rides not in DLRP but are in WDW. I think this is the appeal of trying different parks, and the fact that some rides are much newer versions of older rides in the US, as previously said by someone else.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread