Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Sep 16, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

DLP hotels to start charging for breakfast

Magical Breaks are reporting that DLP will begin to charge for breakfast at onsite hotels starting next month. Pictures below come from from Salon Mickey blog (salonmickey.wordpress/20...for-breakfast/)

At these prices I'll be getting my breakfast at McDonalds or Starbucks, or stay offsite more .
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

OMG that cannot be right. Who in their right mind is going to pay the extortionate prices to stay at the DLH and then pay £23 PER day for breakfast on top! That's £88 for our family of 4 for one day's breakfast.

Are they mad? Perhaps it's to make up for those guests who make their lunch/dinner while they are there. You'd need to get 'your monies worth' lol!

I love the DLH, and I love staying onsite, but I think this will make me think again.

Does this mean package prices will be reduced then? Nope, I doubt it.

I am a shareholder so can hop into Salon Mickey - although again, I'm sure I read they have plans for there and it doesn't include giving freebie pastries and drinks to shareholders!

I fear this is just the start of things to come. I honestly think those rumoured AP prices/options we saw a few months back might actually, sadly, be possible!

ETA - I wouldn't be happy if I'd already booked a break after 16/10. In fact, I think they'll have to honour for current bookings tbh. I am beginning to wish I'd booked my hotel before now!

Edited at 12:52 PM.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

So flaming annoying - and to try and charge those prices for what they actually provide is ridiculous! Maybe if they started including a selection of hot items, it might be a bit more acceptable, but £15 each for pastries and yoghurt is not on. (We usually stay at Sequoia Lodge, so that's what we would be paying). And you're right, it's not so bad for couples but for a family, who may have kids who probably won't eat much anyway, it's not the best value. Grr!

Now I'm worried about Salon Mickey - I'm also a shareholder. What have you read about changes?
Old 22 Sep 16, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

I've just had a look on Magic Breaks site and I can't see that info anywhere? I wonder if they weren't meant to publish it yet?
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Now I'm worried about Salon Mickey - I'm also a shareholder. What have you read about changes?
Sorry, getting my wires crossed - it's the Founders Club they have plans for - to make into a gourmet restaurant I believe (which to me doesn't make sense when CG is just below?).

I still think Salon Mickey will go eventually - it's just not sustainable - they are clearly needing every euro they can squeeze out of people .

Have to say, just had a look on Tripadvisor and there are one or two people blaming this change on people taking more than they should at breakfast (was actually called thieving in some posts). I suppose it was inevitable. The party line seems to be it's to bring it in line with all other Disney resorts.

I know I sound like a broken record, but didn't they want DLRP to be different - it was meant to be a European park! It wasn't meant to carbon copy the other parks. Most holidays in Europe include breakfast... it mirrors the offerings around the locations. I know there are many who want to have DLRP like the US parks though!
Old 22 Sep 16, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Breakfast at the Elysee is
identical to Sequoia (same supplier - same cubes of cheese and mix of fruit!) and they charge €14 for breakfast if not included in your rate. When we stayed there we went to EoS instead for a lovely breakfast sandwich.

I suppose this will benefit those who don't bother with much breakfast in that they can grab something in the train station or Starbucks instead? Personally it annoys me as we always stuff ourselves silly at breakfast ane then aren't hungry all day.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Breakfast at the Elysee is
identical to Sequoia (same supplier - same cubes of cheese and mix of fruit!) and they charge €14 for breakfast if not included in your rate. When we stayed there we went to EoS instead for a lovely breakfast sandwich.

I suppose this will benefit those who don't bother with much breakfast in that they can grab something in the train station or Starbucks instead? Personally it annoys me as we always stuff ourselves silly at breakfast ane then aren't hungry all day.
Yes, but the issue is, the room rates won't reduce any to reflect this. If anything, prices have been hiked next year . So a family will, in real value, end up paying more as they'll have to still pay for breakfast on top - wherever they get it.

If I were staying at the DLH, I certainly wouldn't be trekking to the Village for breakfast of a morning and the options within the park are limited. I do think at DLH prices, breakfast should still be included for guests (I mean £200 plus per night and no breakfast included?). Yet it's being included for 'Club' guests at SQL/NPB. Those prices aren't even on a par with standard prices at DLH!

Edited at 01:22 PM.
Old 22 Sep 16, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I agree with that completely - the wonderful thing about visiting Disney parks around the world was supposed to be the little, individual differences between them, relating to local customs etc. On a personal level, we have a tendency to park-storm when we get to any Disney park, and only worry about eating when we suddenly realise one of us is about to expire from hunger! So to make ourselves start the day with a proper sit down and some breakfast was always better for us, and kept us going for longer. I know we could do that and pay for it, but to be honest I can think of better things to spend my holiday money on than plates of pastries and yoghurt!

I guess you are right - we did used to see people making up sandwiches with the rolls and ham, and taking them out for lunch. Now those few selfish and greedy people have soured things for the rest of us!

I am not sure they could get rid of Salon Mickey completely, they have to give the shareholders some perks, particularly as they have recently increased the number of shares you have to hold in order to get these perks MASSIVELY. It started out as 30 shares, then went to 100 a couple of years ago, and now it has increased to 1,000 shares for new shareholders - shocking! Why anyone would pay that for shares that don't pay out a dividend and could potentially give you no perks is just unimaginable.
Old 22 Sep 16, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
I am not sure they could get rid of Salon Mickey completely, they have to give the shareholders some perks, particularly as they have recently increased the number of shares you have to hold in order to get these perks MASSIVELY. It started out as 30 shares, then went to 100 a couple of years ago, and now it has increased to 1,000 shares for new shareholders - shocking! Why anyone would pay that for shares that don't pay out a dividend and could potentially give you no perks is just unimaginable.
They are not interested in small scale investors to be honest. And 1000 shares is still small fry compared to the bigger investors. Those sort of people won't even use SM, they'll have breakfast in their suites in the DLH (if they even visit the resort at all!).

I think some perks will stay yes, but ultimately I think SM will go. I'm not saying next year, but I think it's time is up. Hope I'm wrong though!

I think this is the beginning of the resort changing big style. It's a shame as we like the Paris resort the way it is to some extent. Problem is, bottomline, it ain't making money! WDTC have bailed out, now they want a return.

BTW, I never saw anyone taking things at breakfast, so I can't really comment on this personally, just what some people are saying on other forums. I seem to think it's been reported that it was worse in other hotels though...

Edited at 01:40 PM.
Old 22 Sep 16, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

McDonald's, Starbucks and Earl of Sandwich must be celebrating at this news. Assuming there's no change to the breakfast offerings the prices are just ridiculous.

I had a look at some comparisons to the DLH breakfast. An equivalent breakfast in Florida (imo) is 1900 Park fare at the Grand Floridian which is $30 and has characters and a bigger food selection.

The kids prices are particularly insane too, £21 for a 3 year old who will probably eat one plate of food.
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread