Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Feb 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Novice house renovators - month 4, third of the way through!

Halfway through February and a third of the year we allocated to the renovations already gone. I now feel we are actually going to make some real progress and noticeable changes in the next few weeks.

Our original roofer and the recommended one contacted us and gave us prices. We are happy to use our original one again, the other one was very nice but nearly double the price as he had to hire scaffolding while the original chap has his own. All the people we have called are with professional bodies and on Checkatrade, which I think is the most we can do to get reputable people.

Two plumbers visited, both recommended, however after seeing the job one pulled out as felt it was too complex for him. Although disappointing I would rather he did it now than halfway through. Luckily the other plumber (who works with the builder that came round) seemed very competent and a good price. He confirmed we can do the builders recommendations. It will still be a small bathroom but it will obviously be the family bathroom rather than just a shower room. At the weekend we ordered most of the bathroom products and once the builder and plumber we have chosen get back to us with a date I will order the bath. Once work has started we will order the shower tray and door but can’t do that until we see how much space we have. These are what we are working towards:

Cloakroom

Ensuite, although the units are now a pale beige colour as the room is very dark.

From this! Bathroom

Cloakroom

Ensuite

This is the flooring we will have in all 3 rooms. It is similar to Karndean/Amtico fully stuck down but a lot cheaper and our builder can fit it as it doesn't need a qualified fitter.

The wall tiles are a light beige limestone. All 3 rooms will be very plain and neutral but I can then change the paint or towels reasonably easily.

We have had 3 local window companies out, all of who were under what we had budgeted. At first we thought we would use the same company that fitted our front door but they were a bit more expensive so we went with the company that we didn’t use for the door, but only because they didn’t do the style we wanted! Does that make sense? This will make a big visible difference both inside and out as we are going for a different style and colour.

Storm Ciara was interesting as we lost power for nearly 29 hours but we had organised ourselves with torches and had candles but didn’t use them. We also had plenty of wood and coal for the fire. Unfortunately DS had chosen to visit for the weekend and we had to take him back early so he could get some Uni work done. DD stayed over though and we had a fun night with take out pizza playing rummikub and scrabble! It’s been a long time since we played board games for the evening! On the downside the fence and gates are still standing so they haven’t been moved up the “to do” list. Storm Dennis was noisy and has flooded the lane but we kept power and no damage. It is still quite windy so my roofer has called off until later in the week to replace the valley that is leaking.

I have mostly been really restrained and not just ripped stuff up/out or pulled down except the fruit cage in the garden. However it got the better of me last week! As the cooker hood vents into the garage we don’t use it and I open the kitchen window slightly to get rid of steam, smells, smoke (ha ha) but with the wind it makes the wallpaper flap a bit, so I pulled it off, and then another bit and another until I did the whole kitchen! Before pics

After photos, although I know I need to get the rest off too!

Personally I don’t think it looks any worse and it felt soooo good (ha ha ha) We had thought about putting a new bit of worktop, floor and décor in the kitchen to tide us over but decided not to. Partly to save the expense and partly to try and be a bit less wasteful. I also had to have a little bash at the bathroom so the plumber could see the size of the waste pipe and which way the joists ran, that was fun too

Finally, we have 11 oak doors arriving this week which I will have to oil ready for the joiner to hang. He is also going to fit new skirting and architrave and then I can think about starting to decorate ds’s room first followed by dd’s room once the doorway has been plastered. Hoping we can then get the carpets replaced and the old house smell will start to disappear. It’s not too bad if the doors are open and air is circulating but if we’re out for the day it is very noticeable when we get home.

Thanks for reading and see you next month!

All months are here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1169030

Edited at 11:33 AM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Wow, sounds like you’ve achieved loads already. Looking forward (as I’m sure you are too &#128521 to the end result!
Really like the bathrooms, that will make a huge difference once they’re done

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Thanks for the update. I think you are wise not to go down the route of temporary fixes as I think that they could end up not being so temporary as you would like (or maybe that’s just me).

It’s all sounding good - you have achieved a lot over the worst time of the year to do it.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

looks great
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Thanks for the update. I think you are wise not to go down the route of temporary fixes as I think that they could end up not being so temporary as you would like (or maybe that’s just me).

It’s all sounding good - you have achieved a lot over the worst time of the year to do it.
Exactly, at least dh hates the kitchen too at the moment! But I didn't want him to think that its not too bad and delay everything!
Old 17 Feb 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Do you mind me asking where you are ordering your bits from? We are looking into doing our bathroom / ensuite & cloakroom too. Cloakroom ideas are looking very much like yours.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ELLENUT View Post
Do you mind me asking where you are ordering your bits from? We are looking into doing our bathroom / ensuite & cloakroom too. Cloakroom ideas are looking very much like yours.
We got them from a local company called Leekes but the brands are various. The units are by Calypso from their Brecon range. The toilet is RAK, the showers are Vado. Not sure who the taps and basins are but when I get the plans I will let you know. The mirror cabinet in the ensuite is Roper Rhodes. The bath isn't quite like that as they didn't do a small enough one, it will be one from Victorian Plumbing called Orion. Both rooms have shower trays and doors from Merlyn. Hope that helps. We were very impressed with the young chap who designed them for us and we have put him through hoops but he met our brief and budget. Good luck with it all!
Old 17 Feb 20, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gingerlife
Serious Dibber

Mobile

It's going to look lovely. We have just spent the last 2 years renovating our house so I know how it feels when you just want to pick at that scraggy bit of wallpaper 😁
I've got to ask though... are you expecting an outbreak of dysentry in your house with all the loo roll you have stock piled 😂
Gingerlife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gingerlife View Post
It's going to look lovely. We have just spent the last 2 years renovating our house so I know how it feels when you just want to pick at that scraggy bit of wallpaper 😁
I've got to ask though... are you expecting an outbreak of dysentry in your house with all the loo roll you have stock piled 😂
Ha Ha no It was dd's moving in present from a company called Who gives a c**p. It is environmentally friendly I believe made from bamboo so good for our septic tank. They also give 50% of profits to get water and toilets in developing countries. It is a bit dearer but their first order offer (that dd benefitted from! ) was 48 rolls for price of 36. Think it comes out at around £1 a roll but it is def nicer than the eco stuff from various supermarkets as I tried them when we moved in!
Old 17 Feb 20, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Amazing work well done 👍