Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Feb 20, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickeymc
Earning My Ears

cards & cash

Hi all

Just wondering i usually take half half,

Load half loaded on a card and rest cash.

anyone have any ideas best credit card atm,
need to apply we are away in may for 3 weeks. just wondering if anyone has any input.

Thanks
Mickeymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Best Credit Card would be Halifax Clarity Card imo. No Foreign transaction fee's. I also use a Clarity Card and unlock it before using it and then lock it again afterwards. No Foreign fee's on that either.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickeymc
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
Best Credit Card would be Halifax Clarity Card imo. No Foreign transaction fee's. I also use a Clarity Card and unlock it before using it and then lock it again afterwards. No Foreign fee's on that either.

Thanks for the reply
What would you suggest to load cash into a car think I used Thomson's back in 2017
Mickeymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 05:54 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hi Mickey - I second Andy. We have a Halifax Clarity apiece for use whilst wintering in Fl, withdrawing $'s at a WaWa, you'll have more in the Orlando area than we do in SW Fl. WaWa ATM is surcharge free and exchanges at the interbank rate (withdraw as $'s, not £'s), should you want to avoid daily interest on the withdrawn amount you can pay the £ equivalent the same day via internet banking if you wish. Purchases and withdrawals fee free at interbank.

Appreciate it's each to their own, Clarity works perfectly for our needs so no cash card used. I'm sure others can advise.

Have a smashing holiday, we return early May as the heat gets too much for us by then, phew!
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

We have got the Halifax Clarity card too. Used it in Europe, and for internet transactions in American $s with absolutely no problems.

We also both have a Starling bank account that we will use in America. We've used money cards in the past but feel that an actual bank account is safer. Just personal.choice though.

We will be away for a month, budget for spends is £4k. I've got $600 cash so far and don't plan on taking any more. Will use fee free ATMs to withdraw using Starling card if needs be. We're probably taking more cash than is necessary, but Mr H likes to have notes in his pocket!
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickeymc
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Thanks everyone gonna get this clarilty card. I remember I used a creation card back in 2017 but never spent slot on it about 200pounds.

Was going keep my money in the bank and use the clarilty card . every night before bed pay the balance off ? Would that work best
Old 18 Feb 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
John
Imagineer

John's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
That's what I do Mickeymc, you might get a penny interest charge for the day
John is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickeymc
Earning My Ears

Mobile

I might be stupid here but says 19.9% so if I don't pay balance on the night they will add on 19.9% of the balance or this monthly lol confused.
Old 18 Feb 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickeymc
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Also is it best to take 2 cards . 1 as a back up incase
Old 18 Feb 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

always take multiple cards, even if one of them is just a "normal" credit card for emergencies

personally, i now use a monzo card and a santander zero credit card, with a halifax clarity card as a backup/emergency

monzo allows £200 of fee-free cash withdrawal from wawa, so thats enough cash to get by for 2 weeks. everything else goes on the card. if you both have monzo accounts, the limit is obviously doubled. plus fee-free foreign spending all over the world.

prior to this, i used fairfx prepay card between 2008 and 2017 with no issues as my main card, but since moving to the monzo, i've not bothered with the fairfx.
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List