Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

View Poll Results: What kitchen to have
Shaker 129 57.08%
Gloss 97 42.92%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Nov 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
To me Shaker is timeless and will not date. We used to have gloss and I found it showed every mark, fingerprint and scratch. We now have solid wood shaker. It looks more classic and I don’t think will go out of fashion. I would also soon tire of a bright coloured kitchen. I prefer to change colours of accessories.

Yes I agree totally, it’s timeless and is really low maintenance , my friend has high gloss and constantly trying to keep it clean.
Old 9 Nov 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We changed ours over a year ago from shaker type to gloss in "azure" which is bluey grey depending on the light (not shiny, shiny though). Not everyone's choice of colour but lightened our small kitchen and only colour DH and me agreed on. Not planning on moving anytime soon and would be easy enough for door fronts to be changed in years to come. Quick wipe with a damp cloth and no problem keeping clean and as long as kids remember and use the handles no problem with fingerprints !
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 18, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Just looked on the Wickes website I love the colour Think I might have to check them out as well... DH is going to love me lol
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We are fitting our new kitchen as we speak and it’s a charcoal gloss with white worktops.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
We are fitting our new kitchen as we speak and it’s a charcoal gloss with white worktops.
I am drawn to the charcoal in both designs but am thinking about a lighter colour to to offset it as my kitchen seems very dark...in the winter although I maybe able to add extra lighting in the re-renovation. You will have to post a pic when it is finished
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Our kitchen is a pale grey gloss one from Howdens. Been in nearly a year and I wouldn't change it. Our kitchen is small so wanted a pale colour and doesn't get much light until later on in the day.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
You have to be a fellow Libran! I'm a fan of gloss, which we don't have, I love our kitchen but would happily change the doors for gloss, I think it looks so much cleaner and streamlined.
That made me laugh as I was also thinking you must be a Libran! I can't make a decision to save my life! Maybe polls are the way to go for me too

I voted gloss! Only because I like the modern look, but equally I like a nice shaker style if the colour is good?
Old 10 Nov 18, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

I think I prefer gloss to shaker style. We had our kitchen changed earlier this year and have charcoal units on the bottom and white on the top as I was worried that it would make the kitchen dark. They aren’t gloss finish though but matt which has been fine to clean.
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

We had shaker in our old kitchen but I hates that the grooves were just dust collectors. They got really grubby and the handles always felt dirty so when we got a new kitchen I went for flat fronted gloss handleless doors. It's still not perfect as the gloss doors show all the kids finger prints and the finger groove where you open the cupboards collects crumbs. If we did it again(we won't be any time soon) I would go for flat fronted matt cupboards with the small over the top of the cupboard handles.
mskitty is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Wow not sure how this came back but I have had a good old laugh at my posts and what I actually went with.

It's hard to tell but I even went with cornflower blue colour for the top so not plain at all

Love it though and have to agree no matter what cabinets you have (now I have had both types) If you have kids they need a regular clean