Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Feb 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Dog owners/vets?

Just after a bit of advice for Tilly. Tilly is a cross Lhasa apso and Maltese, she will turn 11 this year. Good health, she does have a sensitive tummy so no treats just her wain writes dry dog food as advised by the vet (now on the mature one)
She is eating and drinking fine, going for walks fine etc
However for the past week she has been up in the night panting like crazy (she is usually only like this when fireworks are going off) she won’t settle. She is jumping on the bed licking our faces and jumping off, telling us she wants to go out. So up my husband gets up and let’s get out. Then she comes back panting and shaking like a leaf!
Sometimes it’s 2 or 3 times in the night. The shaking is really bad.
When my husband takes her down she doesn’t want a drink. She does go out and have a wee or just sits there and wants to come back in.
So with the violent shaking, panting and being unsettled, running round the bed we are up for a few hours with her.
Then she is fine during the day.

Obviously we will take her to the vets if she gets worse but it’s becoming very tiresome (sorry Tilly, we love you but we need sleep)
It is blustery out side so it could be the weather but it’s not that bad here, no blown fences or anything like some parts of the country.

Any thoughts/ advice?

Edited at 11:09 AM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

TBH - I would take her to the vets straight away - whilst she is OK in the day , the night time behaviour is new and different so worth getting checked.
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lucky's Mum View Post
TBH - I would take her to the vets straight away - whilst she is OK in the day , the night time behaviour is new and different so worth getting checked.
The vet might think we are crazy lol because she is right as rain during the day.
Very strange behaviour at night though
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

I have 5 cats Floridatilly! Whilst I am not a paranoid owner, I pay the vets a lot of money when I go there so really don't care if they think I am crazy!
Having said that -getting any of my cats into a cat carrier is a feat in itself so I do only go when I feel the need to ..but a vet thinking I'm crazy wouldn't stop me!
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

Another thought -you could just give the vets a call and ask their opinion whether she needs to be seen?
Old 17 Feb 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Tbh any change in behaviour should be a set visit or at least a call. It doesnt sound normal to me.
Old 17 Feb 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Panting for no reason is usually a sign of stress/pain. I would be taking her to the vet as it does not sound like a one off episode.
Old 17 Feb 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I'd be taking her to the vets.

Dogs will naturally hide pain as they won't show weakness, it could just be that it's easier for her to mask during the day with more stimulus.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Freebird
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Take her to the vets

Video her on a phone so you can show vet what she does during night
Freebird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lucky's Mum View Post
I have 5 cats Floridatilly! Whilst I am not a paranoid owner, I pay the vets a lot of money when I go there so really don't care if they think I am crazy!
Having said that -getting any of my cats into a cat carrier is a feat in itself so I do only go when I feel the need to ..but a vet thinking I'm crazy wouldn't stop me!
My comment was only tongue in cheek. I do hope that wasn’t taken seriously x x