Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 20, 02:10 AM  
Link to this Post
smoggy123
Apprentice Imagineer

smoggy123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've just come across this thread and we have been going through something very similiar with our Jack Russell Cross, Sidney.

The first odd thing that happened around 18 months ago when he was 11. I woke around 2am to the sound of banging and clattering - I actually thought we were being burgled. When I ventured downstairs I found him IN the cupboard in the utility room where he sleeps, and everything that was in the cupboard was all over the floor. I put everything back, went to bed, then as soon as I was upstairs he did it again. This kept happening every night, in the end I had to fit child locks to the cupboard. It was if he was trying to get somewhere he felt safe?

6 months later, Christmas 2018, he collapsed and had a seizure, which he came out of very quickly. Two days later he had another, again he came round, but it was very scary when it happened.

He was diagnosed with a possible brain tumour, but as they rarely operate on tumours, he was put on Aktivait to help brain function, which has worked very well - he's not had a seizure since. Apparently brain tumours are very slow growing in dogs, they can live with them for years. The vet said he is just as likely to die of old age than the tumour.

However, around 2 weeks ago, he started to behave very oddly, He would pace around the living room, panting, and try to get in odd places such as behind the tv, or behind the sofa, getting himself tangled in all the wires and unable to get himself back out again. He has never been allowed upstairs, but he started to go upstairs, maybe 15 - 20 times a day, all the time panting and pacing.
He would jump on the sofa, jump back down, walk around, repeat. It was exhausting watching him, it was as if he didn't know where he wanted to be.
He also started to cry like a puppy just separated from his Mum on a night time. He would start as soon as we put him to bed, you could hear him rattling the baby gate, crying and pawing at it. It got to the point where one night we were awake til 3am trying to settle him, going up and down the stairs, letting him out, back in etc.

I took him back to the vet last Wednesday and basically it's anxiety caused by his fuddled thinking ( caused by the tumour and damage to the surrounding tissue) He said hes basically fretting because he is looking for his pack leader at night to make him feel safe. He put him on amitriptyline to increase his seratonin to make him feel more chilled, without sedating him.

It's been like a miracle, the difference in him. After that very first tablet he was back to normal. He hasn't paced, hasn't gone upstairs, doesn't follow me around, and we have had 5 consecutive nights of perfect sleep. He has stopped all the panting, and is 100% chilled. He's 13 now, and I am SO relieved the tablets have worked for him. I am under no illusion that he is completely 'well' again as I don't know what's happening in his brain, but I know that he is not anxious anymore. He's always been a good eater, and that hasn't changed, he loves his walks, and he is basically enjoying his life again.

I'm not in any way saying your pooch has a brain tumour, but the anxiety sounds very similiar so hopefully very treatable,if it is that I would recommend the amitryptiline if its offered ( sorry, probably spelt that wrong but it's late!) Hope you get your fur baby sorted soon x
Old Key West JULY/AUGUST (18 nights, with a Universal hotel thrown in somewhere!) 2015
Old Key West JUNE 2020 (2 WEEKS)

Edited at 02:21 AM.
smoggy123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Stumps
Gone all Goofy

I have had the same issues with my dog. For her, it is definitely related to the wind. She gets really stressed with fireworks and thunder but we have had this for the last 2 weeks with the windy weather. I have tried everything except sedatives. Adaptil collars and plug-ins, herbal supplements, playing Classic FM (they do a special dog programme on bonfire night!) and a thunder shirt. She shakes, pants, drools and paces the house. Her latest trick is pawing at the wardrobe door. I don’t know whether this is to climb into it or escape into the room next door?

The most effective help that I have found is the thunder shirt. It doesn’t settle her completely but certainly takes the edge off it for her and she will eventually settle, usually laid on me. X
Stumps is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’m so sorry your pup is having a hard time , I lost my Lola to lymphoma last month so I know only too well how upsetting it is when they are out of sorts , thunder shirts are quite good and I used one on Lola for many years and she loved to get it on , but the reason I’m posting is that one of the things I learned during Lola’s illness is that dogs lick excessively when they are in pain and I noticed you mentioned that , personally if I were you after seeing a vet I would get her on cbd , it is absolutely amazing for all kinds of anxiety in dogs as well as many other health conditions and is extremely good for pain , it helped Lola so much and she had no pain or side effects from her chemo or the cancer right until the end when the chemo was simply too much for her , there are a lot of fb groups for cbd for pets if you care to look xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just reading this thread as my son walks in and says the dog is acting strange.
Our Meg is 12 and has been acting odd recently, panting mainly at night,trying to fit herself in enclosed spaces and practically trying to sit on top of us (she is not a small dog).
After reading this I'm convinced it's anxiety caused by the weather, the rain and wind has been horrendous,flooding and damage all around us.
Hopefully our beloved pooches will be back to themselves soon but am keeping eye on it.
Old 18 Feb 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Tilly did well last night (ish) it started the hail stone and got really windy which set her off barking (she very rarely barks) she was shaking and panting sat on my knee.
However the weather did settle and so did Tilly.
Around 6:30am this morning she started running round the bedroom, pawing the bed for attention and giving little woof noises for attention. My husband took her downstairs but she refused to go out, did not want a drink either.
She has been out since but reluctantly because she does not like this wind which has picked up in the last hour or so.

I have just rang the vets again and the lady (not the vet may I add) said it’s due to the wind and rain and a lot of dogs do this.

Tilly is also literally under my feet, I have almost stood on her 3 times today
But she is eating, drinking and going to the toilet fine. Her walks have been reduced due to the weather so she is possibly sulking

I want this weather to cam down so I can know for certain if it’s that or not
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ambermark View Post
Just wondered how Tilly was doing now?
Thanks 😊
She had a couple of good night but then we have had horrendous weather again so she is up with the noise.
I do think it’s that and not something more sinister. Apart from that she is fine. She can’t settle at night and pacing around when it’s windy etc
I am hoping the weather calms down so we can get a better view on the situation x x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List