Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Feb 20, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Redfish
I want to go now!

Mobile Alamo - voluntary downgrade

I’ve got a bit of a dilemma. We are off to Fort Myers in April. Being very organised I booked our car last summer with Alamo Brits, getting a good deal on an F150 (or similar) for around £350, as I fancied something big and impractical. Since booking I was diagnosed with a brain tumour and have had to surrender my licence. My wife will now be doing the driving and I’m hoping as I booked with additional drivers changing her over to the lead driver will not be an issue. However, she is not keen on driving something that big, but to rebook something like a mid sized SUV (which would be her preference) is now about double the price I originally paid. So I’m thinking we can just rock up and ask for a voluntary downgrade to a smaller vehicle. Has anyone had any experience of this and are there any pitfalls? The main one I can think of is there not being a smaller vehicle available, but the F150 is amongst the biggest vehicle that Alamo rent so pretty much everything else should be smaller.
Thoughts?
Redfish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Expedia once booked me a 15 seater van with Alamo in error and I couldn't get them to change it without charging extra so gave up.

I just did online check in and went straight to garage. When I asked about downgrading I was told to pick what I liked from any line other than luxury.

If you add drivers at online check in it doesn't matter who is behind the wheel when you get to the barrier.

There might not be as many cars to choose from at Fort Myers but there's bound to be something suitable. Hope you enjoy your holiday.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Redfish
I want to go now!

Mobile

That’s really helpful thank you.
Redfish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Hi
Can’t see a problem with downgrading, choice may be the problem. I may be wrong but I’m reasonably certain if you booked the rental you are the lead driver and they will want to see your license, doesn’t matter who’s actually at the wheel. Do you still have the physical license? If so you shouldn’t have a problem. Hopefully a Dibber with actual experience of your situation will tell me I’m wrong.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

As above, if you're the lead driver they'll want to see your license
You can't rent if you no longer have a license as you no longer meet the renter requirements

I would try and make a new booking for your wife if she has a cc or debit in her name
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Been thinking about this one. I know my BiL once lost his wallet and SIL drove out of Alamo no problem even though her name was not down as the primary renter. I've also handed over DH's licence instead of mine at the barrier when I was the primary renter.

This may just have been down to a lack of vigilance at the barrier though.

If the OP doesn't have his physical licence to show then strictly speaking Alamo could refuse the rental as the name on the licence being presented is not the same as the name on the reservation.

As above posters say, the OP should probably try to get the name changed on the booking. Telling the story to someone sympathetic at whoever he booked with might get a result?

Otherwise it would be either wing it or cancel and rebook which would take away the uncertainty but cost a lot more.

Edited at 10:11 AM.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Can't you change / cancel the booking without fee? Price pending you could just rebook.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WorldDrive View Post
Can't you change / cancel the booking without fee? Price pending you could just rebook.
The Op stated in the first post that rebooking would now be twice the price.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
The Op stated in the first post that rebooking would now be twice the price.
True
But on the flip side taking the risk of being denied driving off with the car and having to book from scratch at the garage with all the gimmicks and games of rental agents could prove even more expensive

Now OP goes in April . Rental prices could play rollercoasters multiple time until then

OP keep checking prices, they go up and down all the time

Edited at 03:46 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List