Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 27 Oct 19, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile Christmas cake recipe required

Hi, I haven’t made a Christmas cake since I made one at school over thirty years ago! Usually buy a ready iced one or a nice fruit cake and marzipan and ice it at home with the children. DD15 doesn’t like fruit cake but really wants to make a Xmas cake this year and I like the idea of us making one together, but put off by the list of ingredients some need and the worry of spending a fortune and it not being great. Hate glacé cherries and loads of recipes state them-is it an issue to leave them out? Not sure I’ve noticed them in the fruit cakes I’ve bought. If anyone has any good tried and tested recipes I’d be interested. Making it next weekend suits us time wise so keen to get all the ingredients bought.
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

waitrose/ecom/produc...SABEgJbqPD_BwE

How about this, all the fun but a bit more budget friendly.

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I use Delia Smith’s recipe and have done for years. I make a few for friends and family and it always goes down well.
It is perfectly fine to leave out cherries or mixed peel. I never put any nuts in mine.
deliaonline/recipes/...christmas-cake

Edited at 09:41 AM.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

How about this, all the fun but a bit more budget friendly.[/QUOTE]

Thank you-that looks like a good option and I can see from reviews that it is still one that needs “feeding”.
Will see what DD fancies
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
dietcokebreak
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
How about this, all the fun but a bit more budget friendly.
Thank you-that looks like a good option and I can see from reviews that it is still one that needs “feeding”.
Will see what DD fancies[/QUOTE]

We’ve made this cake the past few years. The fruit is presoaked in brandy. I haven’t “fed” it at all, and I’ve always found it moist and flavourful. I do buy extra marzipan though as it only comes with enough to do the top.

P.s it’s usually cheaper to buy via ocado.
dietcokebreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Second the Delia one, it is fantastic and worth the effort, everyone always asks me are you making one for me this year .
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
I never feed mine. I do soak the fruit in brandy for a few days before making the cakes purely because I get the fruit all organised and then take a few days to get my act together to make the cake.
To be honest it is one of the easiest cakes to make and because there is so much fruit in it you have no worries about fruit sinking. 😊
Lining the tin is the bit I don’t like.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

I liked the idea of the Delia one as always found her recipes quite easy to follow and had good success. Was put off by the nuts on the top so nice to know can leave out. Think DD will like the idea of feeding the cake and doing it traditionally I guess. Thanks for all the tips
Old 27 Oct 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
I liked the idea of the Delia one as always found her recipes quite easy to follow and had good success. Was put off by the nuts on the top so nice to know can leave out. Think DD will like the idea of feeding the cake and doing it traditionally I guess. Thanks for all the tips
Thanks to this thread I got organised today and have the fruit for 3 cakes sitting on the countertop soaking in brandy so thank you!

I usually wait to put the lemon and orange zest in when actually putting the mixture together and I also add the treacle in with the butter and sugar as I find it mixes in easier at that stage.
Old 27 Oct 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I always did Nigella's Christmas Cake from her Christmas Book, but earlier this year I used Delia's Creole Christmas Cake recipe for DS and DDIL 2nd wedding cake (in the interests of fairness, first wedding cake was made by Bride's mother and used at the overseas part of the wedding).

deliaonline/recipes/...christmas-cake

Everyone raved about it and because it was for a special occasion, I bought top quality raisins and currants from Holland and Barretts and fancy mixed peel from Waitrose and you could really tell the difference, no stalks or seeds and really yummy Caribbean flavours.