Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 30 Oct 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Shame about Sanaa but great that Yak & Yeti lived up to expectations. It’s a favourite of ours.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Scotscraig's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Day 5

Breakfast today was from the Artist Pallete and these muffins (apparently orange) were superb. Crispy on top and soft and buttery on the inside.

DS had an éclair! Well you are on holiday I suppose….

and the in laws choc chip muffins.

It was off to HS today for rope drop and during an epic morning of multiple rides on TSM, TOT etc we visited the new Toy Story Land, where we were blown away by the theming.

We tried mobile order and for about the only time on the entire holiday this worked at Woody’s Lunch Box given this was about the only place with decent Wi-fi.

We all opted for the brisket sandwich other than DS who had the cheese melt version with tator barrels.

The sandwiches were fantastic and amongst the best counter service fare we tried during the whole holiday. There was loads of meat with great flavour and pretty filling too.

We picked up some snacks for later – a couple of carrot cake cookies to share and DS picked up a Mickey ice cream cookie sandwich on returning to SSR.

Tonight’s ADR was at Raglan Road at Disney Springs. We asked for a table near the stage which meant a wait of a good 45 mins however this was worth it in the end. The food is always good here and tonight was no different. OK the soda bread with Guinness reduction is pretty naff

however the mains were good.

Bangers’n’ booze for the in-laws and I

fish and chips for DS

and a steak for DW which came with fries

who was pleasantly surprised that is was so good, given her disappointment that the Sod the stew was no longer on the menu.

I never need a menu to choose the dessert here – Gers Bread pudding all the way please. It is magic….

DW had the Sinful trifle

FIL the apple crumble

MIL the Dundon’s delight

and DS the Chocolate pudding

Ciders and beers were also consumed. Great meal and a good night out……
Food trip report Oct 2017 with DDP
Food trip report Oct 2018 with DDP

DL 1995, WDW 1998, 2001, Sheraton Vistana Villages 2012, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2014, HRH/WL 2015, WL 2016, AKL 2017, SSR 2018, Newport Bay DLP 2019, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2019
Scotscraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 6

Today, was a trip to the Kennedy Space Centre which was a first for the in laws and one they were really looking forward to, as was I.

We had some muffins to eat in the car from the Artist Palette on the way past using snack credits on the hour long journey which as those of you who have travelled this route will testify to, it is not exactly scenic!

After doing the bus tour and the exhibits at the Saturn building we were getting peckish and so ate from the café there.

The food here was pretty good and reasonably priced. We shared an egg mayo sandwich between the two couples and had taken some enormous Mickey head cookies which we also shared, which we bought the previous night in Goofy’s Candy Cauldron in Disney Springs.

DS had a kids hot dog and fries which was only 5 bucks and came with a drink. Bargain!

After a superb day we left around 4pm and headed back to WDW and after parking in the Lime Garage tonight’s tea was at The Polite Pig which was a new one for us and I can report that it was seriously good…

I had the brisket with sweet potato tots

and DW and son the BBQ cheddar sausage with waffle fries.

The in-laws shared the Butcher board sharer, which was a hearty portion. They loved all of this other then the pork shoulder which they said was pretty tough.

I can testify that the brisket was fantastic. Really juicy and flavoursome. The sauces available were really good too and it is worth trying them all.

We then had another ‘calculator’ led trip to Ghiardellis where 7 snack credits were burned on various ice creams.

Very tasty…. A cracking day all round!

DL 1995, WDW 1998, 2001, Sheraton Vistana Villages 2012, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2014, HRH/WL 2015, WL 2016, AKL 2017, SSR 2018, Newport Bay DLP 2019, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2019
Scotscraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 7

Early start today for the always problematic and lengthy run to MK.

We had a breakfast ADR at Crystal Palace at 0805 and so it was full steam ahead to make this. On checking in we had time for a quick plateful before the characters arrived.

I was pleased to see the same omelette guy who has been there every time we have been there was still working and he made us the good old Mickey pancakes as he always does….

The food is always good with the emphasis on a lot of sugar – puffed French toast, breakfast lasagne which must need a Govt health warning given it must have an average person’s sugar intake for a month in every portion, and of course Mickey waffles.

DW’s bowl of maple syrup to accompany hers was the size of a punch bowl…..

Few pics of the buffet...

Of course both DW and DS finished their meal off with eh….soft scoop ice cream…..as you do.

As luchtime approached we were splitting up and I went for a game of golf at the Buena Vista course and took a choc chip muffin to eat in the buggy whilst the others visited the Art of Animation and Pop Century resorts and bought some goodies from the food court using snack credits.

We met up later on and after a quick visit to the Outlets we ventured across to Disney Springs for tea at Deluxe Burger.

DW, FIL and I had the Diablo

MIL and DS the barbeque burgers

and we shared 3 portions of fries which were a snack credit each.

Oh and we shared a few dips!

No alcohol tonight and we had some pretty tasty milkshakes instead which were lovely and hit the spot.

The burgers as ever were superb and for me the best on property.

No room for puddy tonight….must be slipping up!

Old 30 Oct 18, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 8

After some cereal and the usual muffins it was off to AK today for rope drop.

DW and I fancied the Satuli canteen for lunch today. The others didn’t and so headed off to Pizzafari for flatbreads (and forgot to take pictures, tut, tut….). We both had the beef, sweet potato hash although went for different dressings.

This was a pretty big bowl of food and was bloody good….A nice change and we scoffed the lot.

DW fancied the blueberry cheesecake to try and so we shared it and it was pretty good too!

Mid afternoon we split again for snacks. Ice creams from Anandapoor for DW and the old yins

and a coffee and a strawberry scone thing for me from Creature Comforts.

DS went his own way and had a pretzel all using a few snack credits….

We left the park early afternoon and after a rest got the resort boat to Disney Springs and then bussed to The Boardwalk but got off at the Swan and Dolphin where we had a look around. We filled our juice cups from the Boardwalk Bakery and then had a look at the nice cakes on offer before abusing the wifi in The Boardwalk Inn.

We then had a slow meander round to the Yacht Club for our ADR at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. Now the service in here is not the quickest but added to this was the utter cluelessness of the server who looked somewhat out of his depth.

Cocktails were ordered which were very pleasant – blue Golowtinis for the ladies and FIL and a Captains Mai tai for me.

The magic onion bread arrived which was quickly devoured…..

The server then lost the plot and managed to get all four adult mains wrong. I didn’t think this was possible given the orders were pretty simple however this caused a bit of toing and froing until everything was resolved.

The food when it did arrive was as ever pretty good. The steaks – filet mignon all round – Potato gratin for the guys and truffle fries for the ladies and the young lad who had chicken with his

Now here is where we made an error… We all suffered from the condition known as ‘eyes bigger than bellyitis’ and all ordered the The Admirals Cake having seen one passing our table earlier.

This was mahoosive and although the first 4 or 5 bites were fabulous it very quickly became very sickly and very hard work given how rich this was.

DS made the best effort managing to eat more than half which was better than the rest of us.

Here is the evidence. What a disgrace…..

Feeling very stuffed and more than a tad spewy we settled the healthy bill and reluctantly tipped the buffoon server.

This was still a good meal and one we have always enjoyed….

Old 30 Oct 18, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 9

Up at 7.15 and straight off to AKL today for breakfast ADR at Boma.

Now I have to admit to still feeling a bit bilious after last nights meal and was concerned at how I would be able to tackle the always excellent brekkie here however a quick visit to see a man about a dog on arrival created some extra space and I felt fit to tackle the buffet.

Some of the lovely jungle juice to start with some coffee and then off to the buffet…..

Now, DW didn’t half cover herself in glory here given the number of trips she made back to the buffet, particularly to the sweeter items. I counted at least 4……She did complain that the sticky cinnamon bun could have been hotter. – Sigh….

The food however is always top notch here with a wide variety of all types. The bread pudding for me (with vanilla custard) was a real standout!

Here is the buffet...

We then spent the rest of the morning with a visit to The Florida Mall and a trip to Dick’s Sporting Goods…magic…..oh and a trip to Target which is always entertaining. It always amazes me what crap it sells and we had some fun trying on the Halloween stuff!

That afternoon after a bit of a rest we boated to DS and then a bus to Wilderness Lodge, which is still our favourite resort. After a quick look around we popped over to Geyser Point where we waited 5 mins or so for a table.

Seated we enjoyed some Pina Colavas

which were pretty tasty until our food arrived – DW and MIL had the chicken sandwich with extra cheese and FIL and I the bison burger. DS opted for a plain burger. All came with waffle fries. The food here was excellent, piping hot, fresh and well tasty….

We then boated to MK to spend the evening there.

This included an entertaining visit to the Hall of Presidents where there were surprisingly cheers for the present incumbent and then a brave soul who decided to heckle his speech, before the cast member tore him a strip and cut the show briefly, all to our amusement (and bemusement….)

DS had a pretzel as the night wore on and I tried the Dole Whip float which was pretty good but not worth the high praise it seems to get – Controversial I know……

DW wanted a Citrus Swirl at the Sunshine Tree Tce however the machine was broken and so the cast member took pity on her and gave her an Orange cream swirl for free. Crikey we are meant to be using up these snack credits!

After Happily Ever After which is the perfect 15 mins for me it was time for home and bed….

Another good day.

Old 30 Oct 18, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

Aah eyes bigger than belly-itus. We know it well.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 10

Up early and off to MK again….

We had an early lunch at BOG today and had pre ordered so service was pretty swift which was good as we were ‘Hank Marvin….
After the usual drama of trying to source mayo for DW’s fries we tucked into Croque monsieurs for DW, DS and I and the in laws shared a beef sandwich and a croque.

All were pretty good. As usual someone in the kitchen went easy on the salt…..

About 2ish we got our spot for the parade in Main St which was absolutely boiling and I nipped to Starbucks for coffees.

We had earlier got some Cheshire cat tails from the Cheshire Cat and choc chip cookie from Storybook Treats. These were pretty good….

DS also had an ice cream sandwich to keep him going….

After leaving we drove to the Beach Club as we had an ADR at Beaches & Cream.

We were seated straight away and then tested out the server given DW and I were paying OOP for ours tonight as we were using our credits for the Cali Grill later in the trip which caused us to play a bit of jiggery pokery with the dining plan.

MIL only wanted a kids meal and DS fancied a hot dog (also a kids meal) so this helped and we paid for these and used their credits to order a patty melt each and FIL the club sandwich.

We then shared three puddings – No way Jose for DW and I, Snickers Sundae for in laws and DS had his own brownie sundae.

Good food, good service, Job done….

Another trip to Target (the better one on the 192) for some bits and pieces including ingredients for the 7 layer magic cookie bars and a ‘small’ bottle of pancake syrup to take home

Old 31 Oct 18, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
luving the report
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 11

A quick bowl of cereal and then off to Epcot today. Good morning of rides and then a trip to Sunshine Seasons for some cakes for lunch for DW, and the in laws.

We then walked around to Les Halles for some ham/cheese baguettes

which were warmed and massive diet cokes. The baguette although tasty, still has a tendency to take the roof of your mouth though...

I had a Napoleon and DS an éclair using snack credits.

DW had a 7 layer bar

Good all round…

We left the park early afternoon and decided on a visit to Port Orleans which unbelievably we have never visited.

Both DW and I loved both POR and POFQ and would love to stay here one day. We popped into the Riverside Mill and bought a bit of magic cookie bar which we all shared later on with a coffee back at SSR during the only 5 mins I spent by the pool on the entire trip!

This afternoon/evening was date night for DW and I, and after washing and brushing up we endured the frustration of the Disney transport system at it’s best (and this was my only real criticism of SSR – the bus service was dire and very slow) and we took the time it would take for us to drive 60 miles at home to travel between SSR and The Contempary Resort.

We had a drink in the Outer Rim Bar – Pina Colava and Bud Light for me

the waiter losing his chance to earn a tip given it took him 20 mins to bring the drinks – (are you seeing a theme tonight….) before we had a walk around the grounds and then checked in to the California Grill.

We had split up tonight as the in laws were taking DS to The Rainforest Café.

We ordered some cocktails – the San Fransisco Old Fashioned for me

which I quite liked but DW had the Classic Side Car
and didn’t like hers much.

It was way too strong/sour however the excellent server was really good about it and instantly asked if there was anything else she fancied and allowed her to change it for a strawberry lime cider (at no extra charge) which was really good of her.

We then had some nice bread which came with olive oil and red pepper dip which was decent enough

We then both opted for the beef which came with risotto, butternut squash puree, maple roasted squash and a whiskey apple butter.

This was unbelievably good and I now think the greatest meal I have ever eaten. Each mouthful was a pleasure. The photo doesn't do it any justice.

Fo dessert chose the crème brulee which was fantastic and DW the Valhora chocolate cake. She thought this was a bit rich for her but enjoyed it all the same.

A magic meal overlooking the Magic Kingdom with a beautiful sun set with with great service. Doesn’t get much better really ……

Meanwhile back at the Rainforest Café the others tucked into steaks and burgers (their photos not mine!)

which they said were pretty good…They had the lava cake to share for dessert.

DW and I then had a walk up to MK for an hour and then back to the Cali Grill where we were allowed back to the viewing gallery on the 6th floor to watch Happily Ever After.

We then bussed back to Disney Springs as we wanted to visit Jock Lindsay’s Hangar Bar where we finished the night off with some more drinks before bed….