Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Apr 20, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Would you choose one city per trip and base youself there rather than multi city ?

happy Easter Saturday all
Ive been spending a few glorious hours looking at trip reports as my 2 sons 19 and 24 are looking at the west coast. We have been looking at san francisco, LA, las Vegas...late this year if things settle or most likely next spring or Autumn. I am in awe of those of you driving about the country but don't think I am up to it ! I just can't seem to "get " an automatic car having driven 5 hours on a drive from Leeds in one in the Uk...
So..I am very loathe to consider driving and I know this limits us but the thought of it stresses me out so much after driving to Paris for a DLP trip a few years back
I feel more comfortable thinking about going to one destination rather than charging about , worrying about making flight etc.. I sound like a right worrywart I know ! apologies.Additionally costs will be lower doing less in one go although I appreciate costs of flights is a factor.
I think we will leave las vegas until DS 19 is 21 to be able to enjoy fully so I guess we are looking at a trip based in either San francisco or LA ( I have to do the original Disneyland before I pop off as well as Universal for harry Potter!)
Which would you choose for a first trip ? I have looked at doing day trips to Carmel/Monterey and Yosemite if we were to base ourselves in San Fran, does anyone have experience of these day trips ?
Los Angeles looks like a nightmare to plan as I guess we need to stay in 2 hotels to avoid the dreaded travel across the city ?

I imagine that a few of you will tell me to man up and drive !
That was a ramble ...any thoughts gratefully recieved ..
Rachaelwoolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi does the 24 yo drive, 25 next y and can share the driving. A day trip to Yosemite I wouldn’t promote, the reason being you’ll spend nearly 8 hour in coach etc and have time to see very little. It really needs at least 2 nights ,probably 3. Reason being you will arrive mid day so get your bearing that evening with valley floor tour. This will leave you time to see El Capitan, half dome, glacier point, tioga pass and take a walk up vernal falls. Have a look at staying at el portal Yosemite view lodge. Carmel and Monterey are connected 15 mins.
So what would we suggest depending on your length of trip.
3/4 nights San Fran
Drive to Yosemite 3.5 hours
2/3 nights
Drive to Monterey 3 .5 hours
2/3 nights , whale watching a must ,aquarium, pebble beach,Carmel , 17 mile dr.
Drive down coast taking 2 stops 1 n each.
Then onto LA for Disney , universal.
Hope this gives some food for thought.
PS be aware what time of year for Yosemite as some roads don’t open until snow is claared, tioga pass opens anytime between mid April and and end of June, tioga pass I think 2018 opened end of June as they had to clear 25 foot snow drifts. Type in to google tioga pass snow for some images.
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi does the 24 yo drive, 25 next y and can share the driving. A day trip to Yosemite I wouldn’t promote, the reason being you’ll spend nearly 8 hour in coach etc and have time to see very little. It really needs at least 2 nights ,probably 3. Reason being you will arrive mid day so get your bearing that evening with valley floor tour. This will leave you time to see El Capitan, half dome, glacier point, tioga pass and take a walk up vernal falls. Have a look at staying at el portal Yosemite view lodge. Carmel and Monterey are connected 15 mins.
So what would we suggest depending on your length of trip.
3/4 nights San Fran
Drive to Yosemite 3.5 hours
2/3 nights
Drive to Monterey 3 .5 hours
2/3 nights , whale watching a must ,aquarium, pebble beach,Carmel , 17 mile dr.
Drive down coast taking 2 stops 1 n each.
Then onto LA for Disney , universal.
Hope this gives some food for thought.
PS be aware what time of year for Yosemite as some roads don’t open until snow is claared, tioga pass opens anytime between mid April and and end of June, tioga pass I think 2018 opened end of June as they had to clear 25 foot snow drifts. Type in to google tioga pass snow for some images.
thanks so much for your advice.
I think we probably need to drive... eek ! What could possibly go wrong !
I think we will feel that we have missed out otherwise on the whole experience. I can be nudged !
yes jack Drives and will be 25, so I guess that is an option - Tim Drives too but at 20 next year I guess too young for insurance ? I just have to remember fear is the other side of excitement !

I think we were thinking September/October time ?
Appreciate your advice !
Rachaelwoolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

September would be good , if for next year you would need to look at accommodation aug sept this year for Yosemite next year for best result. As for driving if you fly to San Fran and do a few days there then pick car up when you are leaving as you don’t need a car in San Fran. Any questions just ask we are happy to help.
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Driving in the States is very different to driving in the UK - it’s so much easier! It’ll allow you to have a much more relaxing trip and do things at your own pace.
I posted a summary of our March trip in this forum which may give you an idea of some of the places you mentioned. Our trip was cut short because of covid19 and we’re itching to get back and do it all again!
I’m sure you’ll have an amazing trip
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
Driving in the States is very different to driving in the UK - it’s so much easier! It’ll allow you to have a much more relaxing trip and do things at your own pace.
I posted a summary of our March trip in this forum which may give you an idea of some of the places you mentioned. Our trip was cut short because of covid19 and we’re itching to get back and do it all again!
I’m sure you’ll have an amazing trip
thankyou kateb78 ! I saw your trip summery ! Sounded great but so sad to hear it was all curtailed !
I appreciate your reassurance re the driving ..is it really Ok even in LA ( aside from traffic of course !?)
I can only get 2 weeks off work unfortunately which limits us a bit also DS says he can't wait until next September so I've said son you may have to what with all the CV19 !
I suppose early December is a possibility if things settle but would drop san Francisco as may be too chilly ! This leads me back to LA and Las Vegas, although youngest son will only be 20...so no alcohol or gambling...may be not the best option ..Decisions decisions ...!
Hope you get to go back and complete your trip ASAP !
Old 11 Apr 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mobys mum View Post
thankyou kateb78 ! I saw your trip summery ! Sounded great but so sad to hear it was all curtailed !
I appreciate your reassurance re the driving ..is it really Ok even in LA ( aside from traffic of course !?)
I can only get 2 weeks off work unfortunately which limits us a bit also DS says he can't wait until next September so I've said son you may have to what with all the CV19 !
I suppose early December is a possibility if things settle but would drop san Francisco as may be too chilly ! This leads me back to LA and Las Vegas, although youngest son will only be 20...so no alcohol or gambling...may be not the best option ..Decisions decisions ...!
Hope you get to go back and complete your trip ASAP !
It really is ok! The big cities are obviously a bit more tricky, but there’s always a place to turn around which is unlike if you take the wrong road here! Highway 1/Pacific Coast Highway (from San Francisco south) is just a joy to drive with amazing scenery. Again, there are loads of places to pull over and plenty of options for food, drink and fuel if you need it.

LA to Vegas isn’t the most interesting drive as it’s mostly highway. We’ve done it before and took a detour so we did a bit of Route 66, stopped at Elmers Bottle Tree Ranch, saw some of the famous Joshua trees, had lunch at Peggy Sue's Diner and did a bit of shopping at Primm outlets.

We’re thinking of December too but will wait to see how things pan out. The weather will be much cooler in all the places you’re thinking of so I wouldn’t necessarily rule out San Francisco... Yosemite could be difficult though as the roads often close because of snow.

Thank goodness for lockdown planning time!
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

I am swayed ! Driving will be just fine !I love driving here..dont know what I am making such a fuss about ! It sounds so great...I get so carried away planning..I love it !
Old 11 Apr 20, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We’ve had a few trips to California taking in SF, Monterey, LA, Anaheim and SD. DH does the driving and it it’s fairly straightforward as long as you avoid LA at rush hour 😬.
Friends of ours went last year and neither wanted to drive so flew SF to LA and used Ubers to get around, that may be an option for you to consider.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Buzz242 View Post
We’ve had a few trips to California taking in SF, Monterey, LA, Anaheim and SD. DH does the driving and it it’s fairly straightforward as long as you avoid LA at rush hour 😬.
Friends of ours went last year and neither wanted to drive so flew SF to LA and used Ubers to get around, that may be an option for you to consider.
thanks Buzz242
Another perspective...I'm tempted by the uber option ...may be chickening out of driving !