Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 20, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

It’s like going back to the 70s and 80s

I’m beginning to enjoy some of these restrictive measures. It reminds me of the 70s and 80s. The weather feels like the past. The roads and sky’s are so quiet. Pollution seems down. People are walking around going about their own business or in family groups. Shopping has become civil with people (eventually) only buying necessities and carrying it home. People are taking an interest in their communities and talking to their neighbours over the fence. Looking out for the vulnerable. The” I want it now “ crowd have disappeared. There’s crazy haircuts everywhere as people wrestle with clippers.
I do miss pubs, not visiting family and of course Disney but everything else I haven’t missed and I am definitely one of the 90% hoping life stays like this after the virus goes.

Edited at 02:08 PM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I do keep looking out and thinking... third full week of clear blue sky, that rarely rarely happens... where have all the just dismal grey dull days gone... hmmm all the green ppl have gone very quiet, i'm surprised there isn't more being shouted out about the positive effect on the climate. But I guess that isn't enough drama for the media.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 20, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I was out walking today and was thrown right back to the 70’s!
Quieter roads, people either walking or cycling. Neighbours chatting from their own front gardens.
I could actually smell the plants and trees rather than cars 😜
It’s definitely a big positive in this scary situation
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweeney_Todd
Imagineer

I've not seen any white dog poo yet though.

"Right love, shut up and listen - an ADR for two at Crystal Palace, name of Regan. Got it?"

40?...Face?...Bovvered? ...-...Our Feb 2008 Trippies
Sweeney_Todd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

I thought this last week, it feels very much like when i was a child (born 1971) the queues to get into shops like when the bread strike was on! (Except no social distancing of course) Me and my bff the dibbs own choppy girl were made to sit in and finish our packed lunch at school, i can see the dinner lady stood over us now arms folded... eat that sandwich... your Mother queued to get that! I also remember being on the verge of tears and quietly replying but i never asked her too! My lunches were horrible too. Mother used to put them in an old tupperware tub, no foil or clingfilm, so they would still go curly and hard... crab or chicken paste, or salad creme or just cheap margarine...🤮 all you could taste was the plastic of the tub...I dont think she used to wash it very often either, just knock the crumbs out ready for the next day... can you imagine if dinnerladies (are they still about!? Or do the classroom assistants just do that sort of thing) did that? Be an outrage! I think they all always wore Nylon blue check overall type things like pauline fowler and dot cotton wore in the laundrette in eastenders...

Edited at 08:13 AM.
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

In some ways I have enjoyed some aspects- seeing the family much more, more exercise. I’m lucky in that my business is still busy at the moment and we could transition to thousands working from home around the world.
Of course it’s also helped by this amazing April weather which is ending by the looks of it...
However it can’t continue as the economy will go into irreversible decline soon. Irreversible is the key bit- which happens when businesses go under for good.
Business will change after this, we are already looking at what can be retained when it is all over. Also expect company cost cutting to help pay back increased borrowings.
I foresee travel to meetings (something we do a lot) going away, international business travel, hotels and even re imagining our hugely expensive offices we have throughout the UK and World. We already had flexible policies which was a big plus in that we had the entire workforce at home with no downtime, but I think some will move to the norm rather than being flexible.
Hotels that rely on business travellers, rail and air, corporate events etc will have a long term downturn as a result- possibly never recovering to what it was.

Edited at 08:27 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

I love the sounds of Spring, not much traffic noise or blaring music. Lucky to live in a coastal town, the waves rippling over the pebbles is so beautiful. Walked through the bluebell yesterday, birdsong was so loud, and I even heard a fly buzz by! 😯
Made me appreciate the great outdoors but know it can't last. I shall make the most of it now 😀
Mrs Red C is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Mobile

Do we really want to go back to the hussle bustle of modern day globalization tho. That was my point at the beginning. IV really enjoyed the calmness of the outside world whilst still knowing what's going on in hospitals it has helped our family to appreciate things more closer to home.
In enjoying the things I mentioned in the first post . The 70 and 80 s even with the challenges of those time's seemed a much happier and clean place. People were not as greedy or selfish. They cared especially the people with very little. Give me the 70s and 80s and white dog pooh any day.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

My view is that we (humans) don't learn, at least long term. I suspect that while travel and meetings etc. will reduce for a while it will then recover. I think there will be a lot of impact on all sorts of businesses that will be felt for a long time, YT mentioned hotels etc. and I think that's right. Am I enjoying the restrictive measures, in a word, no. I want to be able to go where I want, when I want. That being said it's got a lot to do with living by myself with my family a couple of hundred miles away. I also don't see people doing this uniformly - social distancing I mean. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and don't look back with fondness on that time (power cuts, strikes, cultural attitudes etc). As for the roads being clear, yes that's lovely except you can't go anywhere apart from to the shops and that as few times as possible. I'm used to a lot of travelling and I enjoyed it. I guess that means I fall into the 10%.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

lets hope it continues & we get some decent music as well
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List