Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Dec 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Raggyavn View Post
Seeing as no one else has picked up on this part of your post I'll run with it.

We flew out to FLL on 9th Aug and found the flights into FLL to be cheaper than MCO. When you land at FLL once you have cleared immigration and customs you head out of the terminal to a bus pick up point to be taken to the car rental center. In our case the bus came almost immediately and the driver was even helping folks with their cases. The car hire center is on 2 floors and the queues seemed to be non existent (which considering the folks still stuck in immigration was unexpected, because loads of people had already got out before us).

Yes it is slightly more inconvenient than MCO but if the price is worth it, it shouldn't stop you considering it.

Thank you for that info
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Hi all, I know there's been a lot of discussion on here about the BA 777 refurbs being used to Florida! I'm awake at 5am in Fort Lauderdale so thought I'd pop on to give my view.

SNIP

I definitely noticed that the aisles are narrower, but not the seats. We had slightly reduced width due to fixed armrests in the bulkhead row and still fit comfortably. I'm a size 12 and was not touching either side of the seat. Possibly a size 16 upwards might want to avoid these bulkhead rows as you do lose a bit more width.
Great review. And I agree the refurb brings excellent facilities and doesnt detract too much from space. Its also lighter and airier in the cabin.

That said, I'm a burly bloke and if I was sat with other blokes it would be...socially awkward. Not enough room for the average male shoulder width. I also think the stripped down seats will quickly become a literal pain in the butt after a year in use...padding is very minimal.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 18, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
probi
I want to go now!

I’m so glad you have posted this, I’m sitting in this exact seat in a couple of weeks although I will be travelling with an almost 2 year old, so good to see there is plenty of room that she will be able to stand in.

Still hoping the flight will be quite empty and we can grab an extra seat

Hope you had a good trip..
probi is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Hi all
Just back in sunny Gatwick after our cruise, had no wifi so thanks to those who answered questions etc.

We flew back on a non-refurb and it was a huge difference, the seats were really old and uncomfortable. I can't give a direct comparison as we had those bulkhead seats on the flight out, but certainly preferred the refurb seats. I noticed a slight increase in seat width with the old seats but overall much less comfortable. One problem seemed to be the recline was either broken or allowed way too much- once the front seat was reclined it was right in your face and even though I'm not large I couldn't get out of my seat. Luckily we had a 3 to ourselves and only one person in front reclined so we could re arrange. The head rest of one of our seats was busted too and wouldn't stay up.
The IFE on the old planes is a bit pants, tiny pixelated screens and half the amount of content.
Plane was around 75% full on the way back

Edited at 03:41 PM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 04:16 AM  
Link to this Post
sce2sr1
Looking for my Ears

Also just done the LGW-FLL route with BA for a cruise, out on 8th and back on Christmas Eve. As per OP we had a refurb out but a non-refurbed aircraft back. We have a 3yo and 6mo so bassinet seats both ways for us and agree that the outbound flight, despite over 2hrs longer, proved significantly more comfortable. We're booked for LGW-MCO in May and can already see from the seat configuration it is a refurb 777 both ways. Would definitely recommend if the price is right.
sce2sr1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List