Notices

Old 10 Feb 16, 03:00 AM  
Link to this Post
winkie88
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Tom And lindee go to New york for Tom's 30th!

Ok so let's try this, now we have finally got the accommodation sorted!
So the details:-
We fly out 5th of September from Gatwick to JFK, leave at 16:40 & land in JFK at 19:30. We return home on Friday 16th, getting the 20:15 flight back to Heathrow. We are flying with British Airways.
We are staying at the Marrakech hotel on Broadway (if anyone has stayed here let me know what you think), we are staying here the 5th to the 13th, as we are thinking of either going to Washington Dc for a few days before we go home or Las Vegas (depends if either Britney or Celine are singing in Vegas).

The Cast

Well there's me Lorna

I'm a 28 Scottish lass, I work in one of our big leading supermarkets been there for 11 years! I am a Disneyholic & Harry potterholic. Went to Florida for the first time two years ago loved it! It kicked off my America travel bug. I enjoy reading, watching telly & watching films, catching up with friends and family, and looking after my gorgeous fur babies, Wilma the cat and Sammy the dog.
Then there is

My big brother Nicholas, this year he is turning the big 3O! So we decided to celebrate it by going to New York! He lives in London now, trying to make it in the west end. He is currently working on a cruise ship as a performer, he's on the boat till July, soooo it's up to me to try & book things if I can. He enjoys going to see shows, sooo imagine there might be a few theatre dates.
The title of our trip... Well growing up we use to watch Gimme, Gimme, Gimme and well if we ever lived in a flat together, this is exactly what it would be like. We are Tom and Linda!

Change in Accommodation
When we were first looking at going to New York, I'm afraid we were going with Airbnb, we had found an apartment in Hells Kitchen with two guys, everything was going fine, we had got intouch with the guys they seemed keen to let us stay, said we didn't need to book till February. Then I went to book it, but got no response so it came back declined, I tried messaging the guys, got no reply. After a stressful few days of trying to look elsewhere and trying to get intouch with my brother who wasn't getting a good signal on the boat, I finally managed to convince him to try with a hotel, our own bathroom and big bed each... What's not to like? So I booked the Marrakech hotel on Broadway, it's right next to a starbucks and the subway. The reviews are a bit iffy, but it's cheap and it is just a base at the end of the day. If we go to Washington I think we may use airbnb then as I read that Airbnb has notified all Washington DC hosts that, based on an agreement with DC city authorities, as of February 15th, 2015 Airbnb will be required to charge a lodging or hotel tax of 14.5% on the price of all short-term accommodation.

So let the planning commence...

Edited at 10:51 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
winkie88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 16, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

Hi, loving this so far, I used to love Gimme Gimme Gimme. We're off to New York in October to celebrate my birthday that ends in a 0 ... sadly it doesn't start with a 3 like your brother, I passed that one a while back

I can't give any feedback on the hotel, I've not been but it's only a bed for the night, right. You'll be out and about all day, how bad can it be?

looking forward to the rest of your report
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 16, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
winkie88

Originally Posted by Gabsnoot View Post
Hi, loving this so far, I used to love Gimme Gimme Gimme. We're off to New York in October to celebrate my birthday that ends in a 0 ... sadly it doesn't start with a 3 like your brother, I passed that one a while back

I can't give any feedback on the hotel, I've not been but it's only a bed for the night, right. You'll be out and about all day, how bad can it be?

looking forward to the rest of your report
Hi cant wait till September! There's only one way to get over getting older... by going on holiday! Somehow it just brightens things up.
x
winkie88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 16, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
winkie88

Omg I last wrote this 3 months ago!
Well what's new...
Well we have finally decided what we are doing and we have booked all our accommodations!
So without further adooo our plans:-
We are staying in the Marrakech Hotel in New York on Broadway for 8 nights, then we are off to Philadelphia where we are staying at the doubletree Hilton on Broad Street for one night. Then we finish off in Washington for 2 nights staying in a property that was on airbnb. The place seems quite central so fingers crossed its a good place. We will then get the train back to New York to fly home on 16th of september
I have sorted out my visa. The only things left to book are any places we are wanting to book in advance like Top of the rock, Statue of Liberty etc. Also I think my brother is wanting to book at least one show before we go, maybe the colour purple. I also need to book my flight from Heathrow back home to perhaps Glasgow, as for some reason it is dearer to fly Edinburgh.
Old 28 Aug 17, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
scotsprincess
Imagineer

scotsprincess's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Looking forward to reading all about your trip 😀