Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Nov 18, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

we only have one daughter. We tried for a second but unfortunately suffered a very early miscarriage. we continued to try but back in 2015 we went to florida and while we were there just decided to stop trying (I was 42 and wife was 36) and we both just didn't want to have to do sleepless nights and nappies again at our age.

Sometimes I regret it as it would be nice for DD to have a sibling and a few people have commented that it is 'cruel/mean' to have an only child but financially it also means we can do a lot of things that we wouldn't be able to do if we'd had another child.

surprisingly our DD very rarely asks if she can have a brother or sister, probably because her best friend is also an only child

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

We had always planned on 3, and have 3, although it was almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. DH, at 17, said we’d have 3 kids, girl, boy, girl. We had the girl, then the boy, so we knew we had to go for number 3, a girl! I was massively broody for the first year after the first 2, but not at all after number 3. I knew she was the last so did everything I wanted but didn’t get to do the other times - extended breastfeeding, cloth nappies, baby wearing, etc.
The thought of another child brings me out in a cold sweat and I’m looking forward to this next stage of being able to travel, I just hope my hormones/ticking clock don’t let me down!
We could have waited, we have a 2 and 3 year age gap, it was a factor for me for having children before 30, as my own grandparents died young (40s) with young children.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I’ve 4 children, I didn’t feel broody again after the last one (I was 30) until my mid 40s(but in the meantime had trained and was working as a midwife) we tried half heartedly again for a while but (thankfully) it didn’t happen... we’ve just been blessed with our 10th grandchild so plenty of baby’s cuddles over the past 16 years... my youngest daughter assures us that this is her last, but who knows...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
we only have one daughter. We tried for a second but unfortunately suffered a very early miscarriage. we continued to try but back in 2015 we went to florida and while we were there just decided to stop trying (I was 42 and wife was 36) and we both just didn't want to have to do sleepless nights and nappies again at our age.

Sometimes I regret it as it would be nice for DD to have a sibling and a few people have commented that it is 'cruel/mean' to have an only child but financially it also means we can do a lot of things that we wouldn't be able to do if we'd had another child.

surprisingly our DD very rarely asks if she can have a brother or sister, probably because her best friend is also an only child
*virtual hug* I’m so sorry for your loss, it’s a painful experience no matter how early isn’t it?

I had two early losses before conceiving little Marcie and I’ve never known physical or emotional pain like it so I definitely understand your decision!
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
I’ve 4 children, I didn’t feel broody again after the last one (I was 30) until my mid 40s(but in the meantime had trained and was working as a midwife) we tried half heartedly again for a while but (thankfully) it didn’t happen... we’ve just been blessed with our 10th grandchild so plenty of baby’s cuddles over the past 16 years... my youngest daughter assures us that this is her last, but who knows...
Bet hubby is delighted at being described as doing 'it' half heartedly

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
xxmyheartxx
Serious Dibber

Mobile

We have 4 and our youngest has just turned 1, I honestly don't think i will ever feel done but I'm happy with our family. We are very lucky in the sense that hubby earns enough so I can stay at home and still have cars/hols/kids can do the club's they want to, we just have to budget and try to stick to it!
xxmyheartxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post

We have 3 sons,and I just knew the 3rd no matter what, was going to be our last.
Ohhh and holidays,once you have that 3rd child are extortionate!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Weddingnyc View Post
We had always planned on 3, and have 3, although it was almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. DH, at 17, said we’d have 3 kids, girl, boy, girl. We had the girl, then the boy, so we knew we had to go for number 3, a girl! I was massively broody for the first year after the first 2, but not at all after number 3. I knew she was the last so did everything I wanted but didn’t get to do the other times - extended breastfeeding, cloth nappies, baby wearing, etc.
The thought of another child brings me out in a cold sweat and I’m looking forward to this next stage of being able to travel, I just hope my hormones/ticking clock don’t let me down!
We could have waited, we have a 2 and 3 year age gap, it was a factor for me for having children before 30, as my own grandparents died young (40s) with young children.
Your husband was spot on! I feel like there would be a lot of pressure for a boy if we were to have another as both hubby and his brother have all girls... personally I was thrilled with two girls as I only have brothers lol! Poor hubby is well and truly outnumbered though as even the dog and cat are girls hahaha
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Each person is different, but its a long journey, not just the baby part, but right through toddlers, teens, university maybe etc etc...
I just knew my wine consumption was high enough after two!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by disney_chick13 View Post
Sorry if this is a rather personal question but how did you know you were done having children?

I have two daughters Everleigh is 3 on New Year’s Day and Marceline (Marcie) is almost 7 months... there are many reasons why we should leave it there.

I mean we are blessed with two healthy girls and we are financially “comfortable” (not loaded but not struggling either)

They are also both very happy little things and never had colic or sleep issues (well apart from Marcie cutting more teeth at the moment) so part of me doesn’t want to tempt fate.

Both were C-sections (Everleigh emergency and Marcie planned) And I’ve been told that any future babies will have to be delivered by C-section now too which is obviously always a risk.

But despite all of the valid reasons why we shouldn’t have another i can’t stop imagining another little one!

I must be absolutely mad (I’m not sleeping much at the moment due to teeth number 5 and 6 coming!)

I just feel so sad that I’ll never experience birth or hold a little newborn (of my own) again!

So head or heart... how did you know?
Interesting that you don't mention your husband's thoughts on the matter. Does he want any more? have you talked through it with him?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List