Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Dec 18, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

‘The very essence of democracy is that we can change our minds.’

——— Move to russia

The very essence of democracy is we do what the majority decides

Disney332
Old 15 Dec 18, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post

——— Move to russia

Disney332
Fine. So we go with Norway plus. Full access to the single market plus the customs union. Free movement continues, but we actually police it this time. We pay a contribution for market access.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 18, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post

——— Move to russia

Disney332
The beauty of science is it changes its mind based on new information... Same applies to democracy.

Russia, after Gorbachev and Yeltsin was moving towards democracy... Not so with Putin - he's already unilaterally changed the rules to give himself an extra term. So no, let's not move to Russia, thanks.
Old 15 Dec 18, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
Fine. So we go with Norway plus. Full access to the single market plus the customs union. Free movement continues, but we actually police it this time. We pay a contribution for market access.
So no different to now, except we've lost any say in drawing up the laws... Totally backwards step.
Old 16 Dec 18, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Just read a funny comment on a Strictly story in one of the online papers. “The strictly judges have overruled the result as it was the ‘wrong’ one and are rerunning the vote next week. Some people will have been born by then so will have a chance to vote and some will have died so the oldies who voted the wrong way this time, can’t!”
Old 16 Dec 18, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Thing is - and I know this is an unpopular view - I think that 16yo and 17yo individuals should have been given the vote. Why? Because it is them that will inherit the outcome of this debate. And I don't think they are so infirm so as to be a danger to poll. I do realise that they may not be mature enough to warrant a vote - in some people's view - but that's not a view I share.

Discuss
hahaha - I have a 16 year old, and a 17 year old -

they talk a good story that's for sure...

then go back to bed and do bog all about it.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
hahaha - I have a 16 year old, and a 17 year old -

they talk a good story that's for sure...

then go back to bed and do bog all about it.
And only 36% of 18 - 24 year olds bothered to vote in the referendum.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
So let me get this right:

The EU just signed a trade deal with Japan. We won't be part of it. I hope that the workers in Washington, Swindon and Burnaston have got other job options available to them. And that's just the Japanese manufacturers over here, never mind all the JLR and Mini workers and those that work for the myriad of different suppliers to these companies.

The EU Tax Avoidance rules come in to effect in January. Rees Mogg, the Barclay brothers and 1,000s of other millionaires and billionaires won't be troubled by it. The amount of dodgy money rattling around the City is bad enough now, imagine how bad it would be if there were even less checks and balances, something the very rich and powerful would be really happy to see.

If we were to leave without a deal can one of the Brexiters on here tell my why France would have to any obligation to allow British border officials to operate in Calais and other French ports? Just curious as it would appear to me that there would be nothing stopping the inhabitants of the Jungle (or whatever the camp is called these days) just walking through the port and onto any ferry heading for British ports. As soon as the ferry docks they can claim asylum. Is that REALLY what anyone thought they were voting when they said they wanted control of our borders (something we've always had by the way)?
Old 16 Dec 18, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Neil & Stella View Post

The EU just signed a trade deal with Japan. We won't be part of it. I hope that the workers in Washington, Swindon and Burnaston have got other job options available to them. And that's just the Japanese manufacturers over here, never mind all the JLR and Mini workers and those that work for the myriad of different suppliers to these companies
It’s now quiet clear that these manufacturers will be gone probably within 2 years of a no deal. Parliament knows this.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Neil & Stella View Post

The EU just signed a trade deal with Japan. We won't be part of it. I hope that the workers in Washington, Swindon and Burnaston have got other job options available to them. And that's just the Japanese manufacturers over here, never mind all the JLR and Mini workers and those that work for the myriad of different suppliers to these companies.

The EU Tax Avoidance rules come in to effect in January. Rees Mogg, the Barclay brothers and 1,000s of other millionaires and billionaires won't be troubled by it. The amount of dodgy money rattling around the City is bad enough now, imagine how bad it would be if there were even less checks and balances, something the very rich and powerful would be really happy to see.

If we were to leave without a deal can one of the Brexiters on here tell my why France would have to any obligation to allow British border officials to operate in Calais and other French ports? Just curious as it would appear to me that there would be nothing stopping the inhabitants of the Jungle (or whatever the camp is called these days) just walking through the port and onto any ferry heading for British ports. As soon as the ferry docks they can claim asylum. Is that REALLY what anyone thought they were voting when they said they wanted control of our borders (something we've always had by the way)?
Can’t the uk do a trade deal with Japan or anyone it wants without help from the eu? What’s wrong with having our border in the uk instead of France? Let anybody claim asylum, if they are really in need then they can stay, if not then they can be dealt with, just like people arriving from anywhere else. How did people get checked before the border control moved over there? Instead of constant calls to people who voted leave to justify why they voted the way they did, why don’t the people who voted to stay explain why they did so? And without saying what they didn’t want, tell us what they wanted to keep.

And I’ve not used the terms Brexiteers or remainers, we are all people who have exercised the right to vote. If only people got so wound up about voting and the result of uk elections, we might not be in this mess in the first place.