Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 21 Jul 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

That all looks lovely! Well done to DD ... my DD would probably have a total drama llama fit at that food x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes, I agree, Chefs is staying as my choice for my birthday meal 😀. Looks really good, so much choice, I can't decide what I want to eat.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
That looks really good. I love a good french onion soup so would have that, followed by the braised beef and the cheese for afters .

Kudos to your DD for trying the salmon, mine would have run a mile from that and I would have probably given it the nearest cat.
You'd enjoy that meal I'm sure. I need photography tips from you, can't get anything to look decent in these dark restaurants in the evening! DD is amazing us with this, presumably we can get her onto sushi now

Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
I've read a few good things about Chef de France recently. Those puddings look divine.
They were magnifique and the creme brulee is also supposed to be excellent

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Great meal.

If DD liked the duck there the one at Hollywood Brown Derby comes highly recommended by my 10 year old culinary expert 😂
I'd go back to Brown Derby happily but it was blocked by the other two who didn't enjoy it last time. Will have to try to sell the duck dish next time I want to convince them to go. Thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
That all looks lovely! Well done to DD ... my DD would probably have a total drama llama fit at that food x
We still have the odd moment of food regression but serious progress since she started secondary school

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Yes, I agree, Chefs is staying as my choice for my birthday meal 😀. Looks really good, so much choice, I can't decide what I want to eat.
Creme Brulee also supposed to be good. In general the French classics (so the bourgignon, onion soup etc.) were done superbly so if you like those sort of dishes it's a good place to start.
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
- MK Morning & Gastons
- Adventures of DW

This morning for me was about DD and I rope-dropping Magic Kingdom EMH while DW hopefully got some sunbathing in. We hit the park on time and fitted in Thunder Mountain, Splash, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Carousel of Progress, PeopleMover, Barnstormer, Pooh and Little Mermaid all before 11:30 so a productive session.

Midway through we stopped for a quiet snack credit breakfast at Gaston’s Tavern, four Snacks bought us this:
Le Fou’s Brew and Hummus with Dips (DD)
Coffee and Cinnamon Roll (me)

We haven’t eaten in Gaston’s before and this was all new. DD loved Le Fou’s, not a surprise given how much apple juice she gets through. I liked the taste but with the hot coffee the ice was killing my teeth! The hummus was apparently ok but the dips were just bits of pretzel and the whole thing was completely pre-packaged and heavily refrigerated which detracted from it.

I didn’t ask for my cinnamon roll with extra icing, you’ll have to wait for 50 Shades Beiger to appreciate why This was really good, big and delicious with just enough warmth. No difficulty finishing one of these although having approached it hungry noticeable that it made me hungry again way too quickly, it's just sugar.

This breakfast came to 4 snack credits. Easy to use them like this. I could have paid for the coffee or the hummus OOP but I’d rather we use more credits up first.

Back at the hotel, DW’s breakfast was in two parts, first she apparently polished off last night’s steak dinner in bed at 4am (please don’t ask if it was heated up or if she had cutlery!). Secondly she continued a run of poor snack credit purchases (after Doritos and a chocolate cupcake on Friday) with a toasted bagel at the Yacht Club Marketplace. She didn’t really like this but then DW doesn’t like bagels so again, don’t ask
Caption Competition No.1. And I don’t know why it’s on two plates either

Bit of a flying update, lunch to follow later tonight!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 03:08 AM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Wow you did get a lot done! Fab rope drop morning. We have the Le Fous brew and Cinnamon bun to try so glad to hear you approve.

Got to admit DW has me stumped on that one too ... that's something Mr Grump would do and drama llama x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 03:41 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Wow you did get a lot done! Fab rope drop morning. We have the Le Fous brew and Cinnamon bun to try so glad to hear you approve.

Got to admit DW has me stumped on that one too ... that's something Mr Grump would do and drama llama x
they're both well worth a snack credit. DW surprised me later with some decent lunch photos but breakfast was a mystery Double digits now
Old 22 Jul 18, 03:50 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Lunch DD/CMG - Be Our Guest (Magic Kingdom)

Be Our Guest, Be Our Guest, Put our service to the test

My ar*e

After a successful morning rope dropping we headed over to Be Our Guest for early lunch ADR. We’d already ordered to so picked up the yellow rose and headed straight to the cast member to finalise everything. Per the Deluxe DDP rules and everything we’d seen on the website and the ordering process at the time we’d ordered 3 courses for our 2x credits.

Problem, I’m now told that we need to pay for the starters and that the Grey Stuff also costs an extra snack credit A manager is called and nobody budges so we’re off on principle, reservation cancelled. I’m not going to take Disney changing the rules constantly, failing to update their various online sources at the same time and then trying to skim a few dollars

Now you may be wondering about DD. I’d kept an eye on here during these conversations and she didn’t look bothered. Happily I’m blessed with a daughter of relative calm in these situations. I mean there was the time when she cried at the Cinderella birthday cake I made her but otherwise she’s not caused too many problems
I thought it was a good likeness

So it cost me two of my snack credits and a choice of alternative lunch to smooth things over. The request is made for a burger.

Lunch DD/CMG - Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe (Magic Kingdom)

Long wanted to eat here actually, don’t think I have done unless it was as a child but I can’t remember it. You know it’s not going to be great but it has to be done eventually. Cosmic Ray’s is an institution.

DD went for a Pulled Pork Sandwich (BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich served with French Fries) and I ordered Super Stretchy Burger Inspired by Mrs. Incredible (Flame-broiled 1/3 lb Angus Burger topped with Bacon, Cheese Sticks, American Cheese and Garlic Ranch on a Brioche Bun served with French Fries).

We also got a chocolate milk for DD and a soft drink for me in the BB-8 souvenir cup that I’d planned to pick up. I agrabbed some lettuce, onion and sriracha mayo from the toppings bar.
Burger top, Pork Sandwich below

The pork sandwich went down well. When tried a bite it seemed too damp and BBQ sauce heavy but DD loved it. As for the Super Stretchy Mrs Incredible inspired limited edition featuring mozzarella sticks surely it would suck like these items always do…

It was great! Mrs Incredible would approve. The publicity shots show the mozzarella stretching between halves of the burger, good luck recreating that shot without an endless supply of burgers, blow torches and a film crew but it was a nice burger. Chips were good too although the toppings bar was much lamer than I expected, nacho cheese sauce has to be paid for now

We paid OOP for this as we might add another signature restaurant to the plans so can save a couple of credits. The sipper cup made it an expensive lunch.

After the meal we rode Tomorrowland Speedway and shopped a bit. DD spent a snack on a Mickey Rice Krispie head which she scoffed as it disintegrated in the heat.

In the end the heat of a much nicer day beat us and we headed back to the hotel after cancelling our mid-afternoon Space Mountain fastpass. Next up will be DW’s solo lunch at Spice Road Table before dinner at The Boathouse.

Edited at 07:00 PM.
Old 22 Jul 18, 04:24 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Lunch DW - Spice Road Table (EPCOT Morocco)

A first solo lunch for DW followed a morning of sunbathing as the weather finally improved. She headed to Spice Road Table, known as a bit of a hidden gem. We have Moroccan food occasionally and DW loved Marrakech the one time we visited for a weekend (I was not a fan). The only problem is if all the dishes have her least favourite thing in - cinnamon. I also had DW on the hook for food photos and while I feared she’d shoot them all in video again she did a good job.

To drink she went for a Spice Road Signature Sangria which counts as a Moroccan drink for the t-shirt challenge. No fancy cup but these didn’t seem to be available. I understand that this was very nice.
EPCOT t-shirt Challenge 4/22

Spicy Garlic Shrimp (Sautéed Shrimp with Dried Chilies and Fried Garlic) was selected as an appetiser and Mix Grill Skewers (Marinated Beef and Chicken with French Green Beans, Toasted Almonds, and Rosemary Potatoes) as a main course

EPCOT t-shirt Challenge 5/22 (Morocco and France complete)

Both these dishes got rave reviews. DW loved everything from the sangria to the shrimp to the chicken and lamb skewers. As a dessert she ordered a pistachio topped almond creme brulee which she only had a mouthful of because of a dislike of almonds.

When she told me about this I asked for it to be taken back along with the various other leftovers DW had been collecting. Sadly the waiter had already taken it but here some magic occurred

Hearing the story the server and chef insisted on giving DW another one gratis so that I could try it. Because it couldn’t be removed from a dish without ruining it they even comped us the serving dish. I ate the brulee at home in the afternoon and it was lovely, creamy and with a hint of the almond that was noticeable but not enough to ruin it in the way brulee flavours can sometimes.

So some great service and food. The bill came to $65.

I’ll continue with a review of dinner at The Boathouse tomorrow. Thanks for liking, commenting and subscribing as I think the phrase goes (and indeed for reading)
Old 22 Jul 18, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
jennieg2
Excited about Disney

Loving your report. I know they are time consuming so thank you for taking the time to share!
Old 22 Jul 18, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
What a feast of food. The Chefs de France meal looks excellent. It's great when you're kids are more adventurous and will try out meals. I'm glad DD enjoyed the meal.

The cinnamon roll is going to be our first breakfast at MK, I can't wait they are yummy. It sounded like you had a fab morning together.

Such a shame about BOG, although you both enjoyed the burgers. I've seen the Mrs Incredible burger, but has forgotten about it. I'm glad you had it and reminded me I want to try it out.

DW is helpfully ticking off all of world showcase for you, her lunch looked tasty.

Fab photo of the Mickey treat, they always look so cute and I never want to take the first bite and ruin them! I know that sounds mental.

As far as cocktails at home go. I've not made a Negroni! I will have to rectify that . I love making and then of course drinking cocktails. Current favourites that I make are Mojitos, Margaritas, Mules, Manhattans, Martini (Espresso or traditional)...ha ha I've just realised they are all M cocktails! I do like a Cosmo and a Long Island Ice Tea. I'm not a massive fan of creamy cocktails like a Pina Colada. I can't wait to try out more of them at WDW. Hints and tips from you will be gratefully received.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List