Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Apr 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
STFC
Trying for More Ears

I have had my Miami flights refunded today and have rebooked indirect flights with United to MCO via Newark saving over £500. So a bit of a win really as the drive up is now not needed. So just need to give Virgin a ring and swap the hire car tomorrow.
STFC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We were due to fly back from Miami-LGW on 09 Aug and got switched to Privilege Air, a company with just 4 aircraft, all ancient sheds. We had previously opted to fly on the 09 because it was £150pp less than our preferred 08 Aug. We phoned up Norwegian, who conceded (off record) that we had a very valid position in being unhappy as they had already moved us several months ago from Fort Lauderdale to Miami.
The rep then assured us that the MIA-LGW flight on 08 Aug was still a Norwegian 787, that he would move us on to it and that there would be no cost. Not happy, but a decent resolution.

We then had to move our Naples last night forward a day (no cost).
We then had to notify our villa owner in Davenport that we would be leaving a day early. (Will still be paying for it)
We will also be handing back our hire car a day early. (Will still be paying for it).

Let us hope that this is the last disruption to our planning !

To be fair ...
As for the age of the 777 it’s 17.8 years at this time not 30.
This is in fact younger than the Virgin Jumbo fleet that serve the bucket and spade routes to and from MCO the youngest (Pretty Woman) being a month off of 19 years and the oldest (Tinkerbelle) being 23 years in June.
So the difference between The 777 and a VS744 Jumbo is lack of IFE. Most folk have a tablet or Smartphone, so not the end of the world.

My opinion of course, disappointing, yes, but I’d still be supporting Norwegian and fly with them in these difficult times, placed on them by RRs incompetence in making Trent Jet engines.

Each to their own of course.

Edit
Just dug up that BA operate over 40 777s that are older than the Privilege Style 777, the eldest being 24 years.

Edited at 11:12 PM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post

I am surprised they are offering a full refund to people because of a change of plane. I have had this happen on multiple flights but never had the refund offer. What is different about this? I would have thought they are shooting themselves in the foot.

I thought service with them was excellent and I would happily fly with them again.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Phild
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I am surprised they are offering a full refund to people because of a change of plane. I have had this happen on multiple flights but never had the refund offer. What is different about this? I would have thought they are shooting themselves in the foot.

I thought service with them was excellent and I would happily fly with them again.

They’re not providing the contracted service people are paying for. When they extensively advertise that the new Dreamliners are in service on particular routes and the customer purchases a ticket specifically to use the Dreamliner and the airline cannot offer what they have promised (regardless of whose fault it is) then they must offer an alternative flight or full refund - which to be fair they are doing without issue.
Phild is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We are affected too, we flew out Easter Monday and Friday got a text advising out flight back on bank holiday Monday from Miami is Privelige.
Best they could offer was Dreamliner from Tampa or Orlando to Scandinavia then onto Gatwick (which OH said no to ) or direct on the Wednesday from Orlando but OH reckons work might miss him lol so looks like we are on the dodgy sounding charter. (Neither of us minded MCO or Tampa instead ) I'm hoping either no one wants to fly it so we get a row to sleep in each so don't care or he changes his mind lol

More annoyed with Boeing than anyone else... but it's hard to get stressed when relaxing by the pool with a large Baileys after a busy any at Busch Gardens (the Baymont by BG is an absolute steal as it's lovely)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post

It’s not just a change of plane it’s also operator as Norwegian are also subcontracting that out.

As other posters have stated the age of the plane isn’t necessarily an issue but online reviews suggest comfort of the plane and service is way behind Norwegian.
swintonowl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
STFC
Trying for More Ears

Also Privilege Style only have 4 aircraft, 2, 757-200, 767-300ER and 777-200ER.

The 777 is being used for the Miami route, but if there are any issues with delays or tech problems, then Norwegian would be having to get another operator to take up the service. Which could lead to a lot of frustration. So that’s why I got refunded.

Edited at 09:42 AM.
STFC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

Had a look at an alt price today - closest is £600 more expensive. Think I'll stick with HiFly, only other alternative is to fly into TPA a day later (instead of MCO) and lose a day's holiday. No thanks.
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report

Edited at 10:44 AM.
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by RC22 View Post
Had a look at an alt price today - closest is £600 more expensive. Think I'll stick with HiFly, only other alternative is to fly into TPA a day later (instead of MCO) and lose a day's holiday. No thanks.
I've changed from MCO (with Norwegian / HiFly) to Tampa for my dates (8th - 22nd August). Flight only with BA worked out £600 more (and that was without bags which I had with Norwegian). However I added in a car and booked through BA holidays the price dropped over £500 so ended up costing me about £90 more but I also got a car for 2 weeks.
swintonowl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

I just gave that a go - works out at £4500 more on our dates. Weird how the flights can vary so much!
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List